b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

We as Canuck fans are lucky to have Hughes... His addition alone, has taken most of the pressure off OJ to be our future #1 defencemen (what he was originally expected to be here).  

I like the Hamhius comparison related to OJ's potential future value on this team.

Don't disagree with the overall premise, Hughes has helped reduce pressure on OJ. However, his ceiling was always a #2-#3D with an outside shot at a #1D and a high (#4-#5) floor.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Don't disagree with the overall premise, Hughes has helped reduce pressure on OJ. However, his ceiling was always a #2-#3D with an outside shot at a #1D and a high (#4-#5) floor.

He wasn't really expected to be a true #1D, but he was expected to be our #1D. Nobody knew we had a Hughes coming.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He wasn't really expected to be a true #1D, but he was expected to be our #1D. Nobody knew we had a Hughes coming.

It's going to funny if Rathbone out plays Juolevi, then what does JB do :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's going to funny if Rathbone out plays Juolevi, then what does JB do :huh:

We could always push Quinn to the right side which he's capable of.

 

Edler-Hughes

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

 

Or if they are close rotate them in and out of the lineup

 

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Benn(or other vet)

 

We will certainly be laughing if our prospects are stepping up and pushing for spots in the lineup where we have to make tough decisions due to too much quality. Good to have options.

  • Hydration 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

It's going to funny if Rathbone out plays Juolevi, then what does JB do :huh:

A happy dance?

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It's going to funny if Rathbone out plays Juolevi, then what does JB do :huh:

Probably is happy he has 2 young D that can step up. 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably is happy he has 2 young D that can step up. 

IMO, that is very likely. If the Canucks carry 8 D like they normally do there is a chance that 6,7,and 8 are rookies with Jordy Benn's status as the #5 D up for grabs if there are no further roster moves. If Tryamkin comes back next year he will likely be replacing Benn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO, that is very likely. If the Canucks carry 8 D like they normally do there is a chance that 6,7,and 8 are rookies with Jordy Benn's status as the #5 D up for grabs if there are no further roster moves. If Tryamkin comes back next year he will likely be replacing Benn

Benn is replaced by Tryamkin, good chance. If Tryamkin signed for 1 year does he become a FA at the conclussion of that contract ??

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Benn is replaced by Tryamkin, good chance. If Tryamkin signed for 1 year does he become a FA at the conclusion of that contract ??

My understanding is that he is not likely to join the club this year and could be signed at the end of the 2020/21 season if there is one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read by Justin Bourne in Sportsnet

 

How three 'fringe' hockey departments operate, and what teams use them for (sportsnet.ca)

 

and a particular paragraph

 

If you run an NHL team, part of the gig of being involved in a physical profession is being rugged and reliable. The NHL normally has an 82-game season followed by two months of rigorous hockey. Nobody wants a delicate sports car that can do great things in theory, but isn’t road ready day in, day out. It’s half the reason some hockey people love reliable steel-and-not-plastic, pickup-truck-style hockey players. Showing up is half the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Going to post this here before the season starts.

 

I still believe Juolevi is going to be a better pick than Tkachuk. Even if I were to go back in time, I would still pick Juolevi over Tkachuk because I believe Juolevi will be a very good top 4 dman. 

Well, as of right now, Tkachuk is clearly the better pick. And I say this being a fan of Juolevi. It's probable that someone of his calibre will be MORE VALUABLE down the road. There will always be a talented winger, but talented defensemen are perceived to be harder to find.

 

It sucks that Juo has been injured so much, otherwise this pick wouldn't have had as many question marks as it does now. I'm hopeful though that he can prove naysayers wrong.

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck in 2021 Olli. Hope you make the most of it my friend. :towel:

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am expecting big things out Joulevi this season, he looks much bigger this season.  I fully expect that him and Hamonic play together and make a legit 3rd pairing, playing like a 2nd pairing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 11:40 PM, Dazzle said:

Well, as of right now, Tkachuk is clearly the better pick. And I say this being a fan of Juolevi. It's probable that someone of his calibre will be MORE VALUABLE down the road. There will always be a talented winger, but talented defensemen are perceived to be harder to find.

 

It sucks that Juo has been injured so much, otherwise this pick wouldn't have had as many question marks as it does now. I'm hopeful though that he can prove naysayers wrong.

I agree. Always go for talent and consensus was Tkachuk was the #3 even the #2 guy for most of the season and he fell on our laps. We needed a Dman, yes, but we also needed an uber pest that can put the puck in the net. Would anybody oppose to having a first line of Boeser, Pettersson Tkachuk? Thats westcoast express 2.0 right there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, GoldenAlien said:

 

From what I remember Dale Hunter was quite complementary about Juolevi.  From after the draft:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/hes-a-winner/c-888591

 

Some highlights:

“He is a puck moving defenceman and that is what everybody is looking for,” said Hunter. “He has a good transition game and breaks out of his own zone cleanly. He is a great passer and there is no fear to his game. He is one of those defenceman that forwards love to have back there passing them the puck.”

 

“He’s a winner. He wants to win,” said Hunter. “One thing I like about him is that during the Memorial Cup it was a 1-1 game and he goes out and blocks a big shot. He went down on one knee, had perfect timing and made a heck of a block. That’s what you like and that’s why coaches like these type of players. He moves the puck well and all that, but at the same time he will block a shot and save you a goal.”

 

“He is a great team guy,” said Hunter. “The players on the team all love him. Vancouver has a player that will be around for a long time.”

 

Anyhow, I don't think "second pairing" should automatically raise alarm. There were nine defensemen drafted at #5 from 1996 to 2016:

 

1996 - Richard Jackman: 231 GP, 77pts

1997 - Eric Brewer: 1009 GP, 271 pts

1998 - Vitaly Vishnevsky: 552 GP, 68 pts

2002 - Ryan Whitney: 481 GP, 259 pts

2007 - Karl Alzner: 686 GP, 130 pts

2008 - Luke Schenn: 759 GP, 148 pts

2012 - Morgan Reilly: 517 GP, 270 pts

2015 - Noah Hanifin: 389 GP, 138 pts

2016 - Olli Juolevi

 

Since 2016, one defenseman was picked at #5, which was Jake Sanderson this year. The only defenseman out of the previous nine who's clearly a top pairing guy is Reilly -- and he mostly likely wouldn't have been available at #5 had he not missed most of his draft year with a torn ACL. Most others are solid second pairing guys. There are only 62 top pairing defensemen in the league, and a good chunk of those 62 are second pairing guys playing top pairing minutes because their teams don't have anyone better. The vast majority of defensive prospects, regardless of their draft position, don't turn out to be franchise cornerstones. We got lucky with Pettersson and Hughes. Draft picks in the #5-7 range don't routinely become superstars. If Juolevi becomes a second pairing D who plays 10 years, there is absolutely nothing disappointing about that.

If OJ makes this team and even becomes our Troy Stetcher, mobile, decent in the Dzone, will give you a handful of really good games, thats already a win. I think his passing will translate well on this team. The few showings Ive seen of OJ in Utica, he can make some passes that are just WOW, tape to tape lasers. He doesn't necessarily have to skate his way out of the zone with flash like Quinn but if he can move the puck efficiently, that will be just as good

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If OJ makes this team and even becomes our Troy Stetcher, mobile, decent in the Dzone, will give you a handful of really good games, thats already a win. I think his passing will translate well on this team. The few showings Ive seen of OJ in Utica, he can make some passes that are just WOW, tape to tape lasers. He doesn't necessarily have to skate his way out of the zone with flash like Quinn but if he can move the puck efficiently, that will be just as good

I've seen a bit of his highlights and footage too. Juolevi's game is the crisp passing and solid outlet exits. He's not the type to 'wow' like Quinn Hughes does, but he's low key and he likes it that way. Also has a deceptively good shot too. Once Juolevi comes around, a lot of Canuck fans will like him A LOT.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I've seen a bit of his highlights and footage too. Juolevi's game is the crisp passing and solid outlet exits. He's not the type to 'wow' like Quinn Hughes does, but he's low key and he likes it that way. Also has a deceptively good shot too. Once Juolevi comes around, a lot of Canuck fans will like him A LOT.

He reminds me a lot of Mattias Ohlund, in his demeanor, physical stature and play.  I will be more than happy if he can go on to establish a place for himself on this team that parallels Ohlund's in any way.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I've seen a bit of his highlights and footage too. Juolevi's game is the crisp passing and solid outlet exits. He's not the type to 'wow' like Quinn Hughes does, but he's low key and he likes it that way. Also has a deceptively good shot too. Once Juolevi comes around, a lot of Canuck fans will like him A LOT.

 

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

His passing just comes from his high end IQ. Heads up player that processes the play quickly when he has a chance to move the puck. 

 

I agree his shot is good too. I remember he showed signs of his great wrist shot during the playoffs his D+1 year in London. He has an ability to get it through which is half the battle, but the shot itself is above average. Hopefully at some point he gets a chance to play on the 2nd PP.

 

The biggest question is mobility. His mobility looks like its improved after the injuries & if that's the case he should be a good 3rd pair guy from the jump - then its only upside from there. 

 

 

 

He's got Finnish.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.