The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "ice cold". It's currently 20th in the NHL and, outside of the first four games, where we had no special teams ability whatsoever for some reason, it's running at about 21.8%, which would put it at the middle of the pack. I'm not saying it's a strong powerplay, but ice cold is a bit too extreme a description IMO.

I  do not believe our 2knd unit has scored yet?

i am not panicking. NOT calling for a new coac...

:blush:

Just contributing to the discussion 

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I  do not believe our 2knd unit has scored yet?

i am not panicking. NOT calling for a new coac...

:blush:

Just contributing to the discussion 

Our 2nd unit has definitely been a weakness. I don't have the stats on that, but I'm almost certain you're right in that it's been very poor. The 1st unit has been pretty decent I think.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Our 2nd unit has definitely been a weakness. I don't have the stats on that, but I'm almost certain you're right in that it's been very poor. The 1st unit has been pretty decent I think.

Myers has been the primary D

Maybe we go back to Edler who ran the 1st unit for years? Or topically, Juklevi

Need really a key forward puck handler to emerge. 3 C on most teams contributes, not enough from Gaudette is probably the actual issue...

Olli is progressing nicely so far this season. 

There is a lot of things going wrong with the Canucks on and off the ice. So it's nice to see Juolevi's development and progress, even if it means that Green may not be back next season with the way this team is headed. 

No playoffs almost means that Benning and his team is gone. I'm willing to bet that new management comes in during the off-season. 

• Like 1

So OJ's excellent development and progress means that Green may not be back next season. Sounds totally logical.

And you are willing to bet that new management comes in during the off-season. Wish you were a real person who I could actually collect from, because I would love to take the other end of that bet.

I only managed to catch one shift last night but that shift signified what was wrong with the canucks. It was Juolevi's shift after we gave up the 3-2 goal. He went back to the zone, made a really smart play to Roussel who obviously was not expecting him to do that because it involved a back hand chip up the boards (hard one at that) and the usual play was to ring it around the boards on Juolevi's forehand. But because it wasn't the obvious play the oilers were not expecting it too so when it went to Roussel this meant he was open for a clean break out. Somehow roussel couldn't take the pass (probably wasn't expecting it). Now the canucks were running around the zone, the d managed to get the puck off of the oiler's sticks a couple more times (one by juolevi and one by myers). But the forwards were making some really boneheaded plays including one where Gaudette threw it back into the corner to absolutely no one when all he had to do was to flip it out. We lost to the jets on the overtime goal and everyone was on boeser but people forget that the Jets had 3 forwards, that's right 3 forwards on the ice and they managed to hold pettersson hughes and boeser to the outside and strip petersson of the puck. The forwards need to do their part and it is obvious that the jets forwards know how to defend while ours have no clue. If your rookie dman made two good plays in one shift the puck needs to be out, this is quite basic. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just out of interest did  any one else notice Juolevi twice pivotted the wrong way when backing up against an opponent. Rather than pivot left and keep face to face with the on rusher. The first time i watched i I thought what the heck, did I see correct, but low and behold he did the same thing later in the game. Opponents and coaches notice things like that. He better correct that or he's going to be toast. He also gets beat in a foot race some times. I'm confident that Green will notice it and might account for him being sat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Just out of interest did  any one else notice Juolevi twice pivotted the wrong way when backing up against an opponent. Rather than pivot left and keep face to face with the on rusher. The first time i watched i I thought what the heck, did I see correct, but low and behold he did the same thing later in the game. Opponents and coaches notice things like that. He better correct that or he's going to be toast. He also gets beat in a foot race some times. I'm confident that Green will notice it and might account for him being sat

Oh no! one bad play in 15 games. I'm sure that's why he got sat rather than Green wanting a more experienced Hamonic to get into the group.

Maybe we should sit the whole top 6, they've had the most GA in the league. Especially that Hughes kid, has the worst EVGA, might be time to scratch him to make him accountable instead of letting him figure it out!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

You are a troll. Every single one of your posts is beating down a player, or the team. 

Nope I try very hard to judge on merit, you should try it some time, it's sort of refreshing. Believing your own eyes rather than become a cheerleader

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Nope I try very hard to judge on merit, you should try it some time, it's sort of refreshing. Believing your own eyes rather than become a cheerleader

29 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

You must be a very lonely human being. 

Well try doing it sober then

• Haha 3

On 2/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "ice cold". It's currently 20th in the NHL and, outside of the first four games, where we had no special teams ability whatsoever for some reason, it's running at about 21.8%, which would put it at the middle of the pack. I'm not saying it's a strong powerplay, but ice cold is a bit too extreme a description IMO.

Yeah, the #1 PP is doing fine (although this group of talent should be doing better).  The real worry is the #2 PP, which is downright dreadful.

38 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Well try doing it sober then

You're kidding, right? I am actually sober. I wish the guy the best, but this guy continually has these "realistic" viewpoints that are beating down on, pretty much anything. So yeah, I wish you the best as well, but at least keep it in context before you knock me down. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, the #1 PP is doing fine (although this group of talent should be doing better).  The real worry is the #2 PP, which is downright dreadful.

For the 15 seconds they have after PP1 passes it around the outside and misses the net a couple of times?

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2021 at 6:40 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah that’s the thing about Dmen. It’s not a matter of whether or not they look bad but how often. 

It’s like goalies and getting scored on. It’s gonna happen. 

Forwards have it easier. 

Centers still at the very least have to win faceoffs and support down low in the d zone to help the d men out and can't just be purely offensively minded all the time.

Winger is the easiest possible position for a rookie player to break into the league. Minimal pressure and defensive responsibility.

Much easier transition than a d man, goalie or even center to adjust to.

This is why we see the early success of Boeser and Hoglander.

Next up is Podkolzin who is an NHL ready winger right now if it wasn't for his injury and contract in Russia.

Playing wing will help speed up his NHL transition immensely next season.

Edited by Chip Kelly

11 hours ago, Stoyoma said:

For the 15 seconds they have after PP1 passes it around the outside and misses the net a couple of times?

This is true. You can't call the 2nd unit PP dreadful, given the limited ice time. They should start the power play with the 2nd unit to screw with the other team. Haha!

12 hours ago, Stoyoma said:

It didn't start out that way.  The 2nd pp minutes were reduced over a number of games because they couldn't get anything going.

14 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

You're kidding, right? I am actually sober. I wish the guy the best, but this guy continually has these "realistic" viewpoints that are beating down on, pretty much anything. So yeah, I wish you the best as well, but at least keep it in context before you knock me down. 

try group therapy, maybe that will help

• Haha 1