The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, bigbadcanucks said:

On the Juolevi / Tkachuk debate, it will be interesting to see how these two fare against each other in the years to come.  Does anyone know of the nature of their relationship while they spent a season in London together?  Were they friends?  Though it's only a small sample size, I haven't seen Tkachuk being the usual ass he is with Juolevi so far in the games between the Canucks and Flames.

They've battled and both had smiles after the whistle.

Being teammates both probably have some sort of kinship. 

Hughes and Brady Tkachuk are buddies too. I think Hughes use to live at the Tkachuk household prior to Hughes going to college.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They've battled and both had smiles after the whistle.

Being teammates both probably have some sort of kinship. 

Hughes and Brady Tkachuk are buddies too. I think Hughes use to live at the Tkachuk household prior to Hughes going to college.

If I'm not mistaken, they were on a Memorial Cup team together...so kinship probably runs even deeper.

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Overall I've been extremely happy with Juolevi's game so far. I just hope he can learn how to not get beat when they take him to the outside. At least that aspect of his game can be fixed 

Yeah his weakness is the rush. If there's a turnover in the offensive zone and he doesn't have enough time to create good enough gap he usually gets beat.

Just needs to get faster.

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah his weakness is the rush. If there's a turnover in the offensive zone and he doesn't have enough time to create good enough gap he usually gets beat.

A bit more speed would definitely be nice but I also think a big part of getting blown by has been adjusting to the speed of some of the faster NHL guys. It seems like he's already making the adjustment a little bit. 

• Hydration 1

Everyone makes the Juolevi/Tkachuk pick a competition but to be honest I think they're both even and both are winners for the teams. Both/any team in the NHL needs a top-4 if not top-2 solid all-around defenceman and any team would love a 60-80 point pace physical top line winger. For the Canucks, we needed a defenceman at the time and Juolevi will be that man.

I think this all stemmed from the Virtanen pick though, we were set on him being that Tkachuk-like player. Of course that didn't pan out and we ended up picking Juolevi as a result. There weren't too many decent defencemen in the two drafts prior to Juolevi's draft anyway.

• Upvote 1

Juolevi's progression is making Benning's 1st round Draft picks look better:

2014 - Virtanen (Rough start for Benning, but I know why VAN drafted Jake. VAN did take Demko at #36 as well, so that helps. Benning hit home runs with the 1sts the rest of the way IMO)

2015 - Boeser

2016 - Juolevi

2017 - Pettersson

2018 - Hughes

2019 - Podkolzin

2020 - n/a  (VAN got J.T. Miller)

Damn fine.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi's progression is making Benning's 1st round Draft picks look better:

2014 - Virtanen (Rough start for Benning, but I know why VAN drafted Jake. VAN did take Demko at #36 as well, so that helps. Benning hit home runs with the 1sts the rest of the way IMO)

2015 - Boeser

2016 - Juolevi

2017 - Pettersson

2018 - Hughes

2019 - Podkolzin

2020 - n/a  (VAN got J.T. Miller)

Damn fine.

I'm really liking Juolevi, but I'd hold off from calling him a homerun just yet. Boeser, Petey and Hughes are certainly home runs and it's obviously too early to tell for Podkolzin. Once he gets NHL time we'll figure that out.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm really liking Juolevi, but I'd hold off from calling him a homerun just yet. Boeser, Petey and Hughes are certainly home runs and it's obviously too early to tell for Podkolzin. Once he gets NHL time we'll figure that out.

Yeah best not to set the bar too high too early considering he is only 14 games into his NHL career.

You can be excited by the progress he's made and the potential he's shown.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah best not to set the bar too high too early considering he is only 14 games into his NHL career.

You can be excited by the progress he's made and the potential he's shown.

And, even if he caps out or gets injured again, we can at least point out what we're seeing now.

But yeah, we've waited this long so far and there's just no point in rushing expectations. It's a really nice surprise to see him the way he is this year.

Just now, The Lock said:

And, even if he caps out or gets injured again, we can at least point out what we're seeing now.

But yeah, we've waited this long so far and there's just no point in rushing expectations. It's a really nice surprise to see him the way he is this year.

For sure.

He's had some more delicate circumstances and is still a rookie so I am just gonna let OJ do his thing this year. Both he and Hog are players that I am not gonna be too judgmental over this season.

• Hydration 1

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To be fair, that applies to a lot of NHL D. Vets included. There's loads of FAST forwards out there and if they catch even quick D flat footed, having to pivot, reverse course etc they can make them look silly.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, that applies to a lot of NHL D. Vets included. There's loads of FAST forwards out there and if they catch even quick D flat footed, having to pivot, reverse course etc they can make them look silly.

Exactly. Just look at Pietrangelo's reaction on Saturday night when he saw MacKinnon flying towards him.

• Hydration 2

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

When our PP dries up we should give OJ a shot at PP1. 

Might kick start it.

It’s actually baffling that so little has been done to address our power play despite it being ice cold this season.

Like Green always talks about how he’s always looking at changes yet his only moves seem to be switching goalies and swapping out Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwan.

Browns lack of adjustments will surely cost him his job if he’s not already on the way out.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s actually baffling that so little has been done to address our power play despite it being ice cold this season.

Like Green always talks about how he’s always looking at changes yet his only moves seem to be switching goalies and swapping out Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwan.

Browns lack of adjustments will surely cost him his job if he’s not already on the way out.

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "ice cold". It's currently 20th in the NHL and, outside of the first four games, where we had no special teams ability whatsoever for some reason, it's running at about 21.8%, which would put it at the middle of the pack. I'm not saying it's a strong powerplay, but ice cold is a bit too extreme a description IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1