The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Juolevi's progression is making Benning's 1st round Draft picks look better:

2014 - Virtanen (Rough start for Benning, but I know why VAN drafted Jake. VAN did take Demko at #36 as well, so that helps. Benning hit home runs with the 1sts the rest of the way IMO)

2015 - Boeser

2016 - Juolevi

2017 - Pettersson

2018 - Hughes

2019 - Podkolzin

2020 - n/a  (VAN got J.T. Miller)

Damn fine.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi's progression is making Benning's 1st round Draft picks look better:

2014 - Virtanen (Rough start for Benning, but I know why VAN drafted Jake. VAN did take Demko at #36 as well, so that helps. Benning hit home runs with the 1sts the rest of the way IMO)

2015 - Boeser

2016 - Juolevi

2017 - Pettersson

2018 - Hughes

2019 - Podkolzin

2020 - n/a  (VAN got J.T. Miller)

Damn fine.

I'm really liking Juolevi, but I'd hold off from calling him a homerun just yet. Boeser, Petey and Hughes are certainly home runs and it's obviously too early to tell for Podkolzin. Once he gets NHL time we'll figure that out.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm really liking Juolevi, but I'd hold off from calling him a homerun just yet. Boeser, Petey and Hughes are certainly home runs and it's obviously too early to tell for Podkolzin. Once he gets NHL time we'll figure that out.

Yeah best not to set the bar too high too early considering he is only 14 games into his NHL career.

You can be excited by the progress he's made and the potential he's shown.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah best not to set the bar too high too early considering he is only 14 games into his NHL career.

You can be excited by the progress he's made and the potential he's shown.

And, even if he caps out or gets injured again, we can at least point out what we're seeing now.

But yeah, we've waited this long so far and there's just no point in rushing expectations. It's a really nice surprise to see him the way he is this year.

Just now, The Lock said:

And, even if he caps out or gets injured again, we can at least point out what we're seeing now.

But yeah, we've waited this long so far and there's just no point in rushing expectations. It's a really nice surprise to see him the way he is this year.

For sure.

He's had some more delicate circumstances and is still a rookie so I am just gonna let OJ do his thing this year. Both he and Hog are players that I am not gonna be too judgmental over this season.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah his weakness is the rush. If there's a turnover in the offensive zone and he doesn't have enough time to create good enough gap he usually gets beat.

Just needs to get faster.

To be fair, that applies to a lot of NHL D. Vets included. There's loads of FAST forwards out there and if they catch even quick D flat footed, having to pivot, reverse course etc they can make them look silly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, that applies to a lot of NHL D. Vets included. There's loads of FAST forwards out there and if they catch even quick D flat footed, having to pivot, reverse course etc they can make them look silly.

Exactly. Just look at Pietrangelo's reaction on Saturday night when he saw MacKinnon flying towards him.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

When our PP dries up we should give OJ a shot at PP1. 

Might kick start it.

It’s actually baffling that so little has been done to address our power play despite it being ice cold this season.

Like Green always talks about how he’s always looking at changes yet his only moves seem to be switching goalies and swapping out Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwan.

Browns lack of adjustments will surely cost him his job if he’s not already on the way out.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s actually baffling that so little has been done to address our power play despite it being ice cold this season.

Like Green always talks about how he’s always looking at changes yet his only moves seem to be switching goalies and swapping out Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwan.

Browns lack of adjustments will surely cost him his job if he’s not already on the way out.

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "ice cold". It's currently 20th in the NHL and, outside of the first four games, where we had no special teams ability whatsoever for some reason, it's running at about 21.8%, which would put it at the middle of the pack. I'm not saying it's a strong powerplay, but ice cold is a bit too extreme a description IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. People act like this only happens to our 'inferior' players :lol:

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Or when Motte deked/flew past him in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, zduck14 said:

Exactly. Just look at Pietrangelo's reaction on Saturday night when he saw MacKinnon flying towards him.

Yeah that’s the thing about Dmen. It’s not a matter of whether or not they look bad but how often. 

It’s like goalies and getting scored on. It’s gonna happen. 

Forwards have it easier. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta agree.  I feel like our setup has been well scouted (Miller controlling on the left board, Hughes touch passing to Pete, Petey tries to dangle; Boeser doesn't do much near the net, and his "slip back and then pass to Horvat in the bumper" play is predictable).  It was at least "novel" to put Boeser on the RW, but the 3 guys on the outside need to be more dynamic, and maybe they should try Hoglander in the net front role.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think some people focuses too much on just the 1PP unit.  

I remember the Canucks used to have 2 very good PP unit prior to 2011.  IIRC, Sedins with Samuelsson, Edler and Ehrhoff.  #2 with Kesler, Raymond, Salo, Demitra, Bernier or something.  A strong second unit means the first unit needs to hurry the heck up.  Instead of thinking they have 90 seconds to work with, they have 1 minute and they better score or the next unit is up and they will try to get the results.  

If I was in charge of the Canucks PP right now... I'd take Horvat off and slide him to the second unit.  Then have Edler as the other defenseman on the blueline. 

• Cheers 1

On February 21, 2021 at 3:54 PM, -AJ- said:

Don't forget Hogs, who is starting to look like a home run for a second round pick. And if/when Tram comes back and plays the way I think he will play, he will be looking like a home run for his draft position. 

As far as calling OJ a home run, it might be a bit premature yet, but it seems only fair considering how many times he has been called a bust, a miss, a strikeout etc. You can't let the haters have everything their way.

While I wouldn't really call him a home run yet either, if your only choice was between calling him a home run or a bust at this point, which sounds more accurate?

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Don't forget Hogs, who is starting to look like a home run for a second round pick. and plays the way I think he will play, he will be looking like a home run for his draft position. 

As far as calling OJ a home run, it might be a bit premature yet, but it seems only fair considering how many times he has been called a bust, a miss, a strikeout etc. You can't let the haters have everything their way.

While I wouldn't really call him a home run yet either, if your only choice was between calling him a home run or a bust at this point, which sounds more accurate?

ship mar GIF by Maria Jose Guzman

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Don't forget Hogs, who is starting to look like a home run for a second round pick. And if/when Tram comes back and plays the way I think he will play, he will be looking like a home run for his draft position. 

He's nowhere near a homerun at this point.

I'd say a bit more like found money.