Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

5 hours ago, Provost said:

European spots are going to be hard to come by, so those teams aren’t going to give out clauses for NHL returns. We will also need extra black aces on an expanded roster for the big club next season if there is no feeder league.  The NHL/AHL needs to give an answer on what they are going to do in regards to this sooner rather than later so the kids have some idea what to do.

Lind, Hoglander, Rathbone, Rafferty at the very least would be guys that we would have to keep close for injury replacements.

3 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

Hopefully Juolevi just stays with the Canucks and this won't be an issue. 

Players around the league are signing loan contracts that give them an out when camp starts. This isn't regular circumstances.

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

Hopefully Juolevi just stays with the Canucks and this won't be an issue. 

I’d rather have him playing if he can.

He can return to the Canucks whenever their season starts.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather have him playing if he can.

He can return to the Canucks whenever their season starts.

I'm hoping he plays with the Canucks. 

Boston already loaned 2015 bust first rounder Jakub Zboril to the Czech leauge.  at this point I am happy with any leauge our guys end up with.  keep in mind other athletes are trying to also make a living too in whatever leauge's, even if Kole Lind ends up in Austria or something I am fine with that or if Lockwood ends up in a tier 2 German Leauge ice time is better then no time. 

I think with the likelihood of Stecher getting shipped out, Juolevi better stay with the team because he might find himself as our 6th defenceman or at least on a rotating with Benn which would be great for him. Just keep the kid around the team - he's got to make a jump in at some point. To be fair, Rafferty probably deserves a shot more than Juolevi but with such potential and such a high pick we have to try and get Juolevi consistently into the NHL, and now's his chance.

Condensed season, lots of back-to-backs, it'll be good to rotate the defencemen and almost have Team 1 and Team 2 so to speak, which is where depth on defence is vital. Teams do it with goalies but if there's going to be these ridiculous 5-games-in-7-nights then I think we'll need to have the odd game to rest guys like Edler/Myers or they'll just crumble.

Get Juolevi and Rafferty in there alternating in the bottom-2 with Benn and Fantenberg. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Provost said:

European spots are going to be hard to come by, so those teams aren’t going to give out clauses for NHL returns. 

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think with the likelihood of Stecher getting shipped out, Juolevi better stay with the team because he might find himself as our 6th defenceman or at least on a rotating with Benn which would be great for him. 

This:

14 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Players around the league are signing loan contracts that give them an out when camp starts. This isn't regular circumstances.

Hoglander already signed a contract with an out clause to come to Canucks camp (and season if he makes the cut).

This will just allow a bunch of young guys the ability to keep playing hockey and continue developing rather than playing no competitive hockey for like a year. Juolevi ESPECIALLY, needs the play time after having missed so much due to injuries.

Same reason Tryamkin signed back in the K (though it's unclear/unlikely he has an out clause). But he wanted to play before December/January.

• Hydration 1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

This:

Hoglander already signed a contract with an out clause to come to Canucks camp (and season if he makes the cut).

This will just allow a bunch of young guys the ability to keep playing hockey and continue developing rather than playing no competitive hockey for like a year. Juolevi ESPECIALLY, needs the play time after having missed so much due to injuries.

Same reason Tryamkin signed back in the K (though it's unclear/unlikely he has an out clause). But he wanted to play before December/January.

I believe Tryamkin does not.

• Hydration 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, aGENT said:

This:

Exactly.  My one concern would be managing their minutes once they're back to avoid them being gassed near the end of the season.

OJ is still listed on the current roster....sign of the times and yet to come. He will be on the team this coming season.

• Hydration 2

On 9/24/2020 at 11:00 PM, Pete M said:

OJ is still listed on the current roster....sign of the times and yet to come. He will be on the team this coming season.

This appeared in the Province recently

"At even strength, Cull and his coaching staff often had Juolevi deployed alongside Ashton Sautner, one of the Comets’ most reliable and rugged blue-liners, facing down the opposition’s top forwards."

So why aren't we talking about Sautner more, politics ? rather than Juolevi

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

This appeared in the Province recently

"At even strength, Cull and his coaching staff often had Juolevi deployed alongside Ashton Sautner, one of the Comets’ most reliable and rugged blue-liners, facing down the opposition’s top forwards."

So why aren't we talking about Sautner more, politics ? rather than Juolevi

Likely ceiling of a 6-8/AHL guy, 26 years old, on an expiring deal.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I thought Juolevi showed really well in his one game against the Wild. In his limited minutes he made some nice passes, defended well and didn't look out of place. Combine that with the good reviews of his practice habits in the bubble and it's looking good. I have him penciled in on the 3rd pairing ahead of Benn:

Hughes - ________

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - _________

Benn, Rafferty

That's how I see the defense core for next year. We don't know who will be in those two RD spots. It could be any of Tanev, Stetcher, a UFA or an acquisition through trade. But the bottom line is I think we'll finally get to see Juolevi in the show sooner rather than later. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Likely ceiling of a 6-8/AHL guy, 26 years old, on an expiring deal.

Sounds more like  Sautner is propping up Juolevi. I remember when Sautner was playing a full time role a couple of years back he looked good. They asked him to be more physical and from what i gather he has, so ......... ?? If Sautner was playing with Juolevi a LHD it means Sautner can play both side because he too is a LHD

Edited by Fred65

54 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sounds more like  Sautner is propping up Juolevi. I remember when Sautner was playing a full time role a couple of years back he looked good. They asked him to be more physical and from what i gather he has, so ......... ?? If Sautner was playing with Juolevi a LHD it means Sautner can play both side because he too is a LHD

There's a chance Sautner is propping up Juolevi, but Sautner has also had a decent amount of NHL experience and while not bad, certainly isn't the next coming of Chris Tanev. As @aGENT pointed out, Sautner is also four years older than Juolevi and is likely already very close to his career peak, whereas at just 22 years of age, Juolevi has some key developmental years still ahead of him and hasn't had a chance to show anything in the NHL yet. Juolevi has also shown a far stronger aptitude for offense than Sautner as well. At the end of the day, the biggest difference is Sautner is four years older and at best a #7 on most NHL teams. Juolevi may be at the same level, but is much more likely to improve given his young age.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Sautner is a "veteran" in the AHL. Much like how Tanev was partnered with Hughes, was Tanev propping up Hughes? Sautner was a decent call up and could still be a serviceable Biega type player for us, but the quality in front of him continues to grow and push him down to AHL quality talent for us.

I think the thing to gather from that quote you posted earlier is that they are trusting and developing OJ to face the top opposition and has Sautner as a reliable partner. Our RD was thin with Chatfield getting regular call ups during the season and Rafferty wasn't as trusted in defensive assignments.

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

There's a chance Sautner is propping up Juolevi, but Sautner has also had a decent amount of NHL experience and while not bad, certainly isn't the next coming of Chris Tanev. As @aGENT pointed out, Sautner is also four years older than Juolevi and is likely already very close to his career peak, whereas at just 22 years of age, Juolevi has some key developmental years still ahead of him and hasn't had a chance to show anything in the NHL yet. Juolevi has also shown a far stronger aptitude for offense than Sautner as well. At the end of the day, the biggest difference is Sautner is four years older and at best a #7 on most NHL teams. Juolevi may be at the same level, but is much more likely to improve given his young age.

i always believed that you won with your best, it,  as far as I'm aware winning is the entire concept of hockey. At 26 he's hardly an after thought he'll be around for  another 5 years or more. Certainly not a Tanev but at this point maybe better than Juolevi ?? It all get back to earning a spot or being given a spot, just a thought. I thought it was reasonable comment to explore. Personally I believe Benning is anxious to show Juolevi as great pick  :)

• Hydration 1

20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I guess Tanev was simply 'propping up' Hughes this year too? ;)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I guess Tanev was simply 'propping up' Hughes this year too? ;)

To a certain degree yes, he provided the opportunity for Hughes to use his offensive flair, it worked well. If I'm Sautner I'd be p!***d. Sautner does the grunt work and Juolevi gets the glory .... and the money.

For many year there was an element on the forum through thick and thing told us of the the future glory for Virtanen, now it's Juolevi. I hope Juolevi is a future all-star but  the record is not encouraging, and I'd hate to see other propsects overlooked because of politics  

Edited by Fred65
  • Haha 1