The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Goldobins passing and playmaking skills are underrated. I think he will be a very good offence producing top 6 in the NHL

His offensive abilities have never been a question mark.

It's his unwillingness to hustle back to defend that's plagued him.

He looked good last night though. 

Hopefully he keeps it up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Zhukini said:

There are only a few forwards on the roster who think the game offensively like Goldie, maybe only 1 other. 

If EP can stick at centre, I'd love to see this top 6. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Leipsic/Virtanen - Pettersson - Goldobin

Fwiw Thomas Gradin apparently told Botchford in Whistler that all 3 of Baertschi, Pettersson and Goldobin think alike.  He apparently really liked how they played together.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Fwiw Thomas Gradin apparently told Botchford in Whistler that all 3 of Baertschi, Pettersson and Goldobin think alike.  He apparently really liked how they played together.

I'd like to see JV, instead of Baer or Goldy, on that line.  They are all skilled ... yes, but they need some sandpaper too.  Jake is a fabulous skater, with a mean-streak, who can fire the puck.  I think he would create plenty of space for Pettersson.  Come on Travis, and get JV with Pettersson!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd like to see JV, instead of Baer or Goldy, on that line.  They are all skilled ... yes, but they need some sandpaper too.  Jake is a fabulous skater, with a mean-streak, who can fire the puck.  I think he would create plenty of space for Pettersson.  Come on Travis, and get JV with Pettersson!!!!!

JV does not possess the IceQ to play with EP40 

while sandpaper can add add an element to a scoring line, it certainly isn’t necessary.  It’s really all about how the line thinks together. 

Burrows was the triplet because he understood where he where he needed to be.  

Jake still skates around looking lost. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Upvote 2

I thought about the idea of Virtanen playing with Pettersson, but then I realize that Pettersson's hockey IQ is through the roof and Jake, well.....he's a hellava fast skater. I think Elias should play with similar hockey smart players. That's when the magic happens.

Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Pettersson - Goldobin

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think that will happen. Virtanen doesn't really anticipate plays two three steps ahead.  Pettersson would have to hold on to the puck longer to make sure that Virtanen is in position while with players who can process at his speed he can already move the puck knowing that they will be there.  

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Goldy definitely made some strides over the off-season and looked better last night. I still see him being sent down though as despite what has been said i believe the vets can probably coast through the preseason with no worries on losing any spots. 

if he's sent down, he's as good as gone. if he continues to play like he did last night, I think he makes the team. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

if he's sent down, he's as good as gone. if he continues to play like he did last night, I think he makes the team. 

Agreed... I do not trust people very easily which is why i take the stance that despite what management says there will be players on the team that have been outplayed by younger players who are shipped down. Salary plays a big part despite what JB or Green or Aquaman say in public (just as an example:  the optics of sending down LE and his 6M salary if he is really struggling in the preseason to make room for a rookie/younger player).

I think Goldobin is a lock to make the team. He's already having early success with Pettersson. Why would they break that up? They won't get much for him in a trade, as his body of work in the NHL isn't very much, but he's a riser. I think he scores 20 goals this year playing with Elias. Won't he need to clear waives to go to Utica? He won't clear.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Goldobin is a lock to make the team. He's already having early success with Pettersson. Why would they break that up? They won't get much for him in a trade, as his body of work in the NHL isn't very much, but he's a riser. I think he scores 20 goals this year playing with Elias. Won't he need to clear waives to go to Utica? He won't clear.  

If he keeps playing like he did last night he will make the team.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Agreed... I do not trust people very easily which is why i take the stance that despite what management says there will be players on the team that have been outplayed by younger players who are shipped down. Salary plays a big part despite what JB or Green or Aquaman say in public (just as an example:  the optics of sending down LE and his 6M salary if he is really struggling in the preseason to make room for a rookie/younger player).

which has worse optics...?

1. sending millions of dollars to the minors (or finding another destination)

2. holding back a young player who's clearly earned it, and going back on your word

naturally they could just say 'he was close' and do whatever they like

Things to like about Goldy so

far; 

able to play either wing with the skilled guys, this gives Green another top six Ish forward with skill to spread out Offence. 

He looks stronger than last year, more confidence.  

So far I see him on the opening roster as a LW. I think he has the lead in Daniels old spot. 

He needs to be active in all thre zones which is still lacking, but improved from last year. 

21 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

which has worse optics...?

1. sending millions of dollars to the minors (or finding another destination)

2. holding back a young player who's clearly earned it, and going back on your word

naturally they could just say 'he was close' and do whatever they like

I see Goldy as high on other teams radars as waiver bait. It would be a mistake IMO to send him down. 

LE might need a wake up call.  If he isn’t putting in the effort I don’t see Green letting him on the ice to set a bad example for the younger players. 

On 9/19/2018 at 2:51 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I agree that Goldy is a lock. Simply put, theres a lot of factors that are going in his favor

1) Chemistry with EP and Baertchi. Its one thing that the line has been consistently be together during games, its another that they are also together in PRACTICE as well. Clearly Travis and the coaching staff sees something that a lot of us dont see.Tethering his talents to the Golden swedish child really really helps his cause

2) Having an impressive camp and preseason

3) His waiver status

4) Louis Ericsson injury

If you add all of them together , it seems like hes a shoe in to be in the opening roster. When Goldy came up camp, he had to prove himself to be on the team. The narrative now is trying to find reasons to have him NOT be on the team. Hes done very well and can't wait to see what he does this season

• Upvote 1