The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jalen Chatfield | #63 | D

stonecoldstevebernier

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I dont mind chatfield getting gritty but I dont think the hit was late at all. The puck leaves his stick as they make contact. 

yeah now that i rewatched it a few more times i think it was a legal hit, guess chatfield didnt like it.

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm okay with that though. Legal or not, if you try to hurt one of my guys, I try to hurt you. 

Yeah I think it was veering on the 'predatory' side of legal and Chatfield took exception to BT looking to hurt Motte. No problem with that response whatsoever.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Maddogy said:

He is playing better than Troy Stecher did. He is also more mobile than Olli Juolevi. 

That is a crazy statement to make at this point.

Stecher was our best defensive D for a long while, suppressing shots at a greater rate than anyone else including Tanev in big stretches.  He also moved to the top pairing regularly and was matched against the toughest competition where his numbers were still solid.  He also went through stretches of playing upwards of 30 minutes a game.

He was probably of of our most under rated players.  Chatfield has played a handful of games and been decent... I hope to can continue to be that but he hasn’t yet had a big enough sample size  that we can anoint him even an NHL regular.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Provost said:

Stecher was our best defensive D for a long while, suppressing shots at a greater rate than anyone else including Tanev in big stretches.  He also moved to the top pairing regularly and was matched against the toughest competition where his numbers were still solid.  He also went through stretches of playing upwards of 30 minutes a game.

He was probably of of our most under rated players.  Chatfield has played a handful of games and been decent... I hope to can continue to be that but he hasn’t yet had a big enough sample size  that we can anoint him even an NHL regular.

Didn't you get the memo? Once players move on from Vancouver, we have to stop overrating them and start underrating them.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

You make Stecher sound like Chabot.

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Didn't you get the memo? Once players move on from Vancouver, we have to stop overrating them and start underrating them.

I can’t help it I check Tony’s stats after each Detroit game. Stecher seems to be doing OK.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I can’t help it I check Tony’s stats after each Detroit game. Stecher seems to be doing OK.

He has already had a game where he played more than 23 minutes.  Continuing the trend of starting from scratch at the bottom every year and then gaining the trust of his coaches to earn more and more minutes.

I am not saying he is a Norris calibre player, but he exposes the he bias against smaller D, especially when they play a more steady defensive game rather than flash and dash.

He is a #4 or better on probably half the teams in the league and a really solid 3rd pairing guy who can play higher on the roster when needed on a contending team.  That is pretty valuable and for his salary a pretty efficient use of dollars.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Had he been 2 inches taller and 10 to 15 lbs heavier, he probably would still be with the Canucks. For his size, he battled hard and did very well IMO.

I wish him much success with his new team.

35 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

After Motte, I would venture that Stecher was our highest compete guy, always battled hard. That is why he is still an NHL regular, he always competes, which I respect even though I don't think he's a big loss for us.

Yes, gotta respect the guys that compete but in all honesty Stecher is a plug.

On paper Schmidt is a big step forward on Stecher and Hamonic is a bit of a step back on Tanev

Should be a net improvement on D regardless what the rookies do, especially with Benn playing well.  The issue we’ve seen so far is that none of the pairs that looked good on paper going into the year have gelled.  The only one that was consistent was OJ-Myers

47 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is a guessing game as to how much Juolevi actually weighs. Elite prospects 182, Hockey DB 183, Canucks roster 182 but in Wikipedia they have him as 6'3 and 196 go figure.

OJ simply does not look that big on the ice. I had visions of a junior Edler. Wasn't he drafted at 182?

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

OJ simply does not look that big on the ice. I had visions of a junior Edler. Wasn't he drafted at 182?

I think that was his weight when drafted and would not be surprised if he is heavier than that now.

Actually just checked up on what they listed him as on the Comets 2019-20 roster: Chatfield listed as 6'0 - 183 and Juolevi listed as 6'3 198.