The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT]: Canucks vs. Kings, Friday, March 31, 2017 7 PM PST

Qwags

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

This is going to be a chippy game.  Would be really nice to officially eliminate the Kings.  

Even a regulation loss doesn't quite eliminate them as they could theoretically win their last 5 games and pass the Preds on ROW (if the Preds lost all of their games in regulation). 

In reality the Kings are out of the playoffs already but since the Canucks can't officially put the final nail in their coffin I'm all about taking the L in this one

With the way this roster is currently constructed, and with our current system of play, Goldobin will not succeed on this team. He needs a skilled play-making center to make plays with, which we don't currently have. I can maybe see him fitting in with Gaunce or Granlund eventually (if they're moved back to center). For now, he needs to be more selfish with the puck, to be more noticeable.

Meh. Willie being willie.

a skilled young exciting  player making mistakes,scratched.

Larsen A defensive liability every time he's on the ice get him more ice time.

megna chapoo shore all earned there ice time with their defensive prowess,hitting , skill and scoring.... LOL.  (actually none of that is what  earns you a spot on wonkies team). 

And the building is empty you say, weird. 

It it doesn't matter willie will soon be fired and he should be, but he should thank linden benning  because he should have been fired in November after yet another 9 game losing skid. 

Goodbye #pluglovewillie

5-0 LA with a willie special defend the 5-0 loss.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

WOW

You are the one who needs to get a clue. They played Tanev early in the season when he was not fully heeled and he got hurt again. he has struggled the rest of the year with that injury. Why risk Stecher if he is not 100% at this point in the season. Do you still have playoff hopes. Goldy is another story but I will just say that WD is consistently stupid.

Players play all the time when they are not 100%.  What rock have you been hiding under.

Wow verbal diarrhea 

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I guarantee the Goldy scratch is related to conditioning. You don't lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks without losing a step.

He returned earlier than initially anticipated due to injury to anther forward (was it Granny?).  he was supposed to get another couple of days rest.  the situation was not ideal, and you cannot blame his recent poor performance or the coaches for not playing him more.  he will get his shot to show his stuff, if not this season, certainly for the next preseason.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

But thats not going to happen. There is no way the league is going to let the Canucks get around the rules to have a F who's played 40 games this year and substitute Biega. JB might be showcasing Biega a bit as trade bait though for Vegas. If Benning could get McPhee to take Biega and and AHLr instead of Sbisa e.g, that would be nice.

I have two thoughts on this.  By highlighting Biega's consistency and flexibility, maybe JB can convince Vegas to draft him instead of Sbisa.  That would mean that JB could hold off on a D trade until the entry draft.  I'm sure they're looking for a way to hold onto Sbisa, since he's quietly been our best DMan on most nights.  My other thought is that the recent LA-Lames game was really chippy.  Goldobin reportedly lost 15 pounds with his recent illness, which makes him what about 175 right now? Plus he has been pretty invisible lately, so probably still not feeling up to par.  His illness was a lung infection.  I know I caught a chest cold in mid January and only started feeling good enough to work out a week ago.  Lung infections can last a long time, and make it impossible to take a full breath, and push yourself.  Plus there is NO grit in that lineup at all, so it's likely they're protecting Goldobin from maybe getting hurt and injecting a guy with a bit of sandpaper who finishes his checks.  My guess is that management will to Goldobin up to about 195 in the off-season.

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

I guarantee the Goldy scratch is related to conditioning. You don't lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks without losing a step.

No, no, no. You don't understand. It's because Willie is evil and hates young players, especially if they are skilled.

4 hours ago, billabong said:

Kids play well, Canucks still lose!!! That's what I want

with a regulation loss and a devils win we could sink to 28th! Wooo

So with the draft lottery and LV in the mix, that means Canucks draft seventh. Yay.

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

WOW

You are the one who needs to get a clue. They played Tanev early in the season when he was not fully heeled and he got hurt again. he has struggled the rest of the year with that injury. Why risk Stecher if he is not 100% at this point in the season. Do you still have playoff hopes. Goldy is another story but I will just say that WD is consistently stupid.

Players play all the time when they are not 100%.  What rock have you been hiding under.

a player only plays if the medical staff says hes good to go. the coach isn't going to overrule the medical staff on health related matters. it would be asinine if he did.

50 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

This is a key game to lose.

I really want the Kings to make the playoffs for Iginla. 

Makes me want to puke but I agree.  Iggy is a beaut'.

ovie and iggy would be fun to see raise the cup but yeah what a great, complete player iggy has been for a long time.....took it to Derek engelynd, a legit heavy, the other night for absolutely no reason other than honour.  It could have gone bad for him but he actually came out of it on top.

leader.

6 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

So apparently according to 1040, Goldy is being healthy scratched in favor of Biega playing forward...

Why?

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Because goldy was the worst player on the ice lately. And Biega has looked good as a forward. Also trying to expose Biega as a forward.

It's not hard to understand. 

6 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Couldn't have been worse than Shore who's been just floating around.

6 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

Who cares about any of this?

The season is over so let the kid work through it.

Biega is a defenseman, a journeyman defenseman; if he's not providing excitement as a forward for the fans at this point (which he's not) leave him on D and let the new kids play.

All good points. Goldy seems to be a classic case of a guy with skill who needs to learn to play better defensively and who needs to provide consistent intensity. The developmental question is whether making him sit for a game or playing him contributes more to the developmental goal.

The issue for the Canucks is not a matter of providing excitement for the fans. Let's face it, most of the marginal fans have done the rational thing and already checked out. Only obsessive people are still following closely (and I admit I am actually going to the game tonight). I personally like the idea of rewarding a guy who plays hard all the time like Biega. And I can see him as a useful swing man next year -- combination 8th D, 14th forward. I like giving him experience in that role.

Goldy needs to do what Baertschi did -- work hard to make the jump from being a high-skill, high-scoring AHL player to being a legitimate top 6 NHL player.

And I agree with @Creepy Crawlerthat Shore has not done much. These European reclamation projects are not good bets. Neither are waiver pick-ups like Boucher. There is no substitute for getting high quality blue chip prospects with high draft picks. Benning's belief that he could short-circuit the process by picking up more experienced guys that other GMs have somehow overlooked or undervalued is difficult to implement, although Baertschi and Granlund are both pretty good. But what we really need is a good young future franchise player, or at least top line forward/top pairing D.

13 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

A game where we see Boeser Horvat and Baertschi confidentiality put three pucks past Quick, along with 3 Quick tantrums.

After Horvat scoring goal number 1, Quick is just starting to get worked up.

Jonathan-Quick-mad-pushes-net.gif

Then after Boeser scoring goal number 2, Quick really starts to lose it.

quickstick.gif

Then after Baertschi scoring goal number 3, well as you can see, he just couldn’t handle it anymore

photo.GIF

Honestly I hate quick but you gotta love a guy who shows emotion. 

I've been on team tank since the Pittsburgh loss but I'd love to see a win and a nail in LAs playoff hopes. 

Not that they'll make it anyways but still. 

LA sucks! 

Honest to God if this league was officiated with a single ounce of integrity, LA would be where we are in the standings and we'd be in their spot. 

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I have two thoughts on this.  By highlighting Biega's consistency and flexibility, maybe JB can convince Vegas to draft him instead of Sbisa.  That would mean that JB could hold off on a D trade until the entry draft.  I'm sure they're looking for a way to hold onto Sbisa, since he's quietly been our best DMan on most nights.  My other thought is that the recent LA-Lames game was really chippy.  Goldobin reportedly lost 15 pounds with his recent illness, which makes him what about 175 right now? Plus he has been pretty invisible lately, so probably still not feeling up to par.  His illness was a lung infection.  I know I caught a chest cold in mid January and only started feeling good enough to work out a week ago.  Lung infections can last a long time, and make it impossible to take a full breath, and push yourself.  Plus there is NO grit in that lineup at all, so it's likely they're protecting Goldobin from maybe getting hurt and injecting a guy with a bit of sandpaper who finishes his checks.  My guess is that management will to Goldobin up to about 195 in the off-season.

I don't know if Goldy has the frame for 195 but maybe. We have a lot of 50 man roster guys that could be useful in Vegas, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jim was cooking up something. 

Archived