The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m a little worried if he took that snap from his unicycle. Vancouver athletes have a history of sidewalk injuries and that bike rack looks to be right in his path!

Vancouver athletes also have a history of injuring themselves picking up crackers off the floor. Even an enflated bubble wont protect them. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Todd Bertuzzi is one of the few Canucks over the last 20 years to have a been injury free during his time here. Once he was traded away, the injuries started piling up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi

"After beginning the 1998–99 season on the Canucks' top line,[22] Bertuzzi was limited to 32 games due to injuries, the first of which was a fractured tibia. He suffered the injury on November 1, 1998, after a shot by teammate Mattias Öhlund hit him in the leg.[23] His season was later ended with a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee, suffered during a game on March 5, 1999.[24"

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, gurn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi

"After beginning the 1998–99 season on the Canucks' top line,[22] Bertuzzi was limited to 32 games due to injuries, the first of which was a fractured tibia. He suffered the injury on November 1, 1998, after a shot by teammate Mattias Öhlund hit him in the leg.[23] His season was later ended with a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee, suffered during a game on March 5, 1999.[24"

As I remember it, Adrian Accoin hit Bertuzzi in the leg.  I watched Crow chew out Accoin on the bench. Bert had just started to show what he was to become the following season. 

Crow was pissed and you could tell that he knew that the season was a right off atm. 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1

On 8/27/2018 at 4:57 PM, The Lock said:

To be honest, I think the opening roster is going to be really hard to figure out. There are so many possibilities. Combine that with Benning clearly stating he's willing to bury contracts in the minors.

Outside of maybe the first line and a couple of spots here and there, it's essentially throwing meat into a pack of hyenas. lol

I think Green should go Old School and staple open ended plane tickets on the locker room bulletin board.

• Haha 2

DAHLEN - PETTERSSON - VIRTANEN

That might be Virtanen’s career right there.

The talent of Pettersson should be enough to liberate Virtanen to play his game. 

Im not saying start the season with that line but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it at some point.

That leaves Horvat and Boeser to do their thing.

• Upvote 4

On 2018-08-31 at 11:36 PM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

You must not be old enough to remember the Sedins as rookies 

they were tough to watch for there first 3 seasons 

They were tough to watch yes.

They became physically tough but their attitudes toward the game could have used a bit more pushback. 

That slapfest in 2011 by Marchand should never have happened.

As great as they were, from that moment on, I knew the Canucks were done for a long, long time until new leadership came about.

I answered in another thread that Bo shouldn’t get the C right away. In fact, i believe Horvat does have the pushback to fight through everything he faces. 

Perhaps he should be Captain indeed.

Edited by Me_

20 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The talent of Pettersson should be enough to liberate Virtanen to play his game. 

Im not saying start the season with that line but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it at some point.

Me like....Me line....

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yeah I been advocating this line since we drafted Pettersson. Virtanen may not be a true top 6 talent on his own but with Dahlen and Pettersson they could have really good chemistry and he could Burrows his way into the top 6 by having good chemistry with top 6 talented players. BUT I still believe Jake has the potential to be top 6 with anyone. He has that kind skill imo, just a matter of putting in the work and putting it all together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah I been advocating this line since we drafted Pettersson. Virtanen may not be a true top 6 talent on his own but with Dahlen and Pettersson they could have really good chemistry and he could Burrows his way into the top 6 by having good chemistry with top 6 talented players. BUT I still believe Jake has the potential to be top 6 with anyone. He has that kind skill imo, just a matter of putting in the work and putting it all together.

There has been some talk of Bertuzzi lately, I think we would all agree that he had top 3 talent.  He didn't score 25 goals until he was 25.  His goal totals were pretty low before that.  I am not saying that Virtanen will equal Bert but his incredible speed, great shot and size should get him to 25 goals within the next couple of years if he is given a chance to play with talent.  Right on pace with Bert.  25 goals would have put him in 17th place among RW in the nhl last year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

They were tough to watch yes.

They became physically tough but their attitudes toward the game could have used a bit more pushback. 

That slapfest in 2011 by Marchand should never have happened.

My perspective was a little different than yours, although I agree is should never have happened.  As I recall, the Canucks had a very good PP at the time (best in the league, I think) and I believe their gameplan was to draw as many penalties as they could.  The team was encouraged to stay disciplined and let the opposition take the penalties.

The Bruins took advantage of this; especially when they realized that the referees were not going to call the infractions.  As far as I'm concerned, there were just too many instances where the refs just turned a 'blind eye' to what was going on.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

As great as they were, from that moment on, I knew the Canucks were done for a long, long time until new leadership came about.

I think the team as a whole were 'broken' in that series (as were many of the fans).  Gillis created a championship team at the expense of the future, so the (prospect) cupboard was bare.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

I answered in another thread that Bo shouldn’t get the C right away. In fact, i believe Horvat does have the pushback to fight through everything he faces. 

Perhaps he should be Captain indeed.

Different era.  Speed and skill is winning games, so the nonsense that went on in 2011 wouldn't happen today. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Yep, I like that possible line too,  also the presence of Virtanen will help protect Pettersson because the other team will have to have their heads on swivels wondering if the tracks of that freight train are pointed at them.

Could be even more interesting if the back end behind those guys consists of Tryamkin and Woo.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can hockey start already!!! I'm just so cautiously optimistic for Elias. Part of me believes he's just so damn special that I think he'll get 70+ points while helping us sneak into the playoffs. The logical side of my brain says he'll sit somewhere between 40-55 pts (depending on games played) and finish top 3 if not win the rookie of the year. To be honest Im happy with both because it would mean were on our way to being cup contenders again. Really though we all know this besides the bandwagon fan and a portion of those "journalists"

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

My perspective was a little different than yours, although I agree is should never have happened.  As I recall, the Canucks had a very good PP at the time (best in the league, I think) and I believe their gameplan was to draw as many penalties as they could.  The team was encouraged to stay disciplined and let the opposition take the penalties.

Two problems:

1. Canucks got plenty of PP chances but couldn't score

2. Marchand didn't even get penalized on that

• Thanks 1