The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

I can honestly see Gadjovich 6'2, 210 lbs very aggressive style making 4th line next season playing  8--12 mins per game,,

In next 2 year possible 3rd line winger 15 -19 G -- 35 points, will play very gritty style, fights, great in front of net and puck recovery, every team needs his style of game..His skating is improving and we see his AHL stats improving also....

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I can honestly see Gadjovich 6'2, 210 lbs very aggressive style making 4th line next season playing  8--12 mins per game,,

In next 2 year possible 3rd line winger 15 -19 G -- 35 points, will play very gritty style, fights, great in front of net and puck recovery, every team needs his style of game..His skating is improving and we see his AHL stats improving also....

It is certainly possible if he continues to improve the way he has been. Within a couple of years he has gone from looking a bit lost at the AHL level to being rather dominant.

His progression is looking very positive. I had actually almost written him off after his first (somewhat underwhelming) pro year, but now he is one of our better prospects. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AK_19 said:

He's certainly playing better than Virtanen at the same stage of his career.

Now that is just nonsense. At Gadj’s current age, Virtanen was scoring 15 g and 25 pts in the NHL. I really like Gadjovich, but he has never played in any league higher than the AHL.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, AK_19 said:

He's certainly playing better than Virtanen at the same stage of his career.

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Now that is just nonsense. At Gadj’s current age, Virtanen was scoring 15 g and 25 pts in the NHL. I really like Gadjovich, but he has never played in any league higher than the AHL.

I think the only way to settle this argument would be to loan Jake to an AHL team and see if he can outscore Jonah. 

:bigblush:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the only way to settle this argument would be to loan Jake to an AHL team and see if he can outscore Jonah. 

:bigblush:

That is funny. Or we could bring up Gadjovich to the NHL right now, but that might screw up the development of a good young prospect. The big problem for Gadjovich is the most fundamental one; can he skate at an NHL level? That is not a problem for Virtanen, whose play of late has been good. Nest season, we may be in a situation where we have to replace a couple of left wingers. Podkolzin will most likely be one of them - I hope Gadjovich continues to have the kind of year where he could be the other. 

If not then, when Roussel’s contract runs out following next year, he will have another shot - though he will likely be competing with McDonough and possibly Kunz at that time. 

Edited by Ray_Cathode

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That is funny. Or we could bring up Gadjovich to the NHL right now, but that might screw up the development of a good young prospect. The big problem for Gadjovich is the most fundamental one; can he skate at an NHL level?  

That has always, of course, been the knock on him. I believe he has the heart to do what it takes. He already looks greatly improved this season.

I liked him as a Benning pick, and I too had the same question. If he makes it, I think he will be a good cost controlled Rousell replacement for the bottom 6. So far this season he has shown unexpectedly adept ability to put the puck in the net. I don't at all expect it to continue at this rate, but if it actually did...

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Both Gadjovich and Lind were high 2nd rounders. They have to get serious NHL looks starting this year. Not a popular stance but I argue that the balance of this season should have a priority of rotating prospects thru the lineup. JB should be a seller. The focus has to be what players should be on the roster in 2 years. Build their skills and evaluate.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Both Gadjovich and Lind were high 2nd rounders. They have to get serious NHL looks starting this year. Not a popular stance but I argue that the balance of this season should have a priority of rotating prospects thru the lineup. JB should be a seller. The focus has to be what players should be on the roster in 2 years. Build their skills and evaluate.

Gadj was late 2nd rounder I believe.

• Cheers 4

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Gonna be a lot tougher with Covid.

• Vintage 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:35 AM, 73 Percent said:

Gadj was late 2nd rounder I believe.

#55 pick. So 24th in the 2nd round. Ranked as high as #14 coming out of his WJC Gold medal. Damn Covid is really screwing his season up. Still have high hopes for him.  

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

#55 pick. So 24th in the 2nd round. Ranked as high as #14 coming out of his WJC Gold medal. Damn Covid is really screwing his season up. Still have high hopes for him.  

I am hoping he continues to work on his skating as that seems to be the main thing keeping him out of the NHL. He has improved a lot but should continue to work on that aspect of his game.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, Boudrias said:

Yep. this was the year that we had a number of players ready to transition - as in a few games in the NHL to see what we have  - Rathbone, Woo, DiPietro, Rafferty, Lind, Jasek, even Lockwood as a fourth line energy guy. I feel badly for Rafferty, here he is, stuck on the taxi squad - got in one game, had a bad, nervous giveaway, then made a great breakout pass that resulted in a goal. Green must really hate him - keeping him up on the taxi, but getting no chance to play, and not sent down to work on his game.  He is not injured, but has only played one game - ridiculous. If Green is not prepared to use him, has no confidence in him, Green should talk to Benning about sending him to Utica.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, Boudrias said:

Bailey gone for the season? That's a shame I thought he might get quite a few games. 

Yes, he is an intriguing player, who I thought was really coming on until Lucic crunched in the numbers into the boards. Very unfortunate. But it is also about game awareness, if Lucic is following you into a corner, it’s a good idea to have the exposed butt end of your stick about teeth height, and blade wedged into the runner at the bottom of the boards, cuz if you are not going to defend yourself, he will crush you.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Yep. this was the year that we had a number of players ready to transition - as in a few games in the NHL to see what we have  - Rathbone, Woo, DiPietro, Rafferty, Lind, Jasek, even Lockwood as a fourth line energy guy. I feel badly for Rafferty, here he is, stuck on the taxi squad - got in one game, had a bad, nervous giveaway, then made a great breakout pass that resulted in a goal. Green must really hate him - keeping him up on the taxi, but getting no chance to play, and not sent down to work on his game.  He is not injured, but has only played one game - ridiculous. If Green is not prepared to use him, has no confidence in him, Green should talk to Benning about sending him to Utica.

Yeah, Green is riding a vet laden line up and the same issues of too much shots & depending on a stellar goaltending to win games are still affecting the team.  Since the pretend playoff run is over, (just like Ottawa) it would be nice if Green would play/showcase the rookies in preparation for next year but he won't do it and I understand - being the lame duck coach he is and he has no one to blame - imo.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1