The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I hope not but if that’s the cost of doing business we gotta do it.

A 2nd round pick will not help this current core for another 5 or 6 years if at all.

We need to be integrating in as many young players now to grow with the core as possible. Gadjovich and Lind are the perfect age to start growing with the current core. And both bring an edge that this team sorely lacks.

Hoglander is helping us... But yes I get ur point.

Edited by Outsiders

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone likes him but you’ve gotta consider his age and role on the team. He’s got maybe another 4 years of being a top pker. We might get one year of his prime where we’re a contender if we’re lucky.

Gadjovich on the other hand is 22 and just entering his prime years. He brings an element of size and net front presence this team has been looking for since 2014. We can’t just walk away from that when he’s just taking that next step. 

We can’t be sacrificing scoring for bottom 6 role players. We’ve done enough of that in Bennings tenure.

You are also assuming that Gadjovich is going to even stick in the big club, let alone be a successful player. Theres many guys that come from the AHL that just flame out once they play with the big boys. Motte at the very least is an everyday NHL player, and a good one too thats trending upwards. We might as well be the Buffalo Sabres if we are going to fill our team with a bunch of big upside guys with little veterans that play a role to help win games

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Idk there’s a bandwagon of haters. Dudes been our best overall defencemen. Looking forward to OJ playing with him again.

Yeah I don’t have much of a problem with Myers at his price tag (you always have to overpay for defencemen). I don’t think he’s drastically overpaid and plays a solid all around game. Not great at any one thing but is solid or above average at everything. I’d rather have him at $6 mil than Edler to be honest.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

And can skate better lol

Well that's debatable... It's not Gadjovich's strong suit either. By all reports his skating is quite improved this year though, so here's hoping.

Edited by aGENT

27 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

I doubt Seattle takes Gadjovich. There isn't enough of a sample size for Seattle to take a chance on a guy that probably doesn't crack their roster.

You select guys for your farm team too.

If all we offer them is average overpaid players they may choose to take a prospect from us.

Prospects are what we’re able to part with least right now with the cap crunch.

2 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

I doubt Seattle takes Gadjovich. There isn't enough of a sample size for Seattle to take a chance on a guy that probably doesn't crack their roster.

Seattle is going to take someone, I'm hoping that JB makes a deal with them, take Holtby and here's a 3rd round pick as a Happy Birthday / Thank-you

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Seattle is going to take someone, I'm hoping that JB makes a deal with them, take Holtby and here's a 3rd round pick as a Happy Birthday / Thank-you

Vegas got stacked because teams offered up good assets to offload contracts or to pick a player they'd rather lose as opposed to another player... In reality Vegas isn't going to do us a favor for a 3rd round pick.. 

Looking at the roster in a general sense we should be able to protect our main assets and if Seattle is willing to take a stab in the dark at a random prospect that hasn't had any games in the NHL then that's just the price we pay in an expansion year. Going to lose someone no matter what here may as well let them scrape at the bottom of the barrel

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You select guys for your farm team too.

If all we offer them is average overpaid players they may choose to take a prospect from us.

Prospects are what we’re able to part with least right now with the cap crunch.

I thought any player exposed had to meet the minimum NHL games played criteria?  Gajo doesn't meet, no? 

Every player under contract must be exposed unless protected, or ineligible to be selected by Seattle 

In order for a player to be eligible for Seattle to select them, they must have played more than 2 professional seasons by the end of the 2020-21 season.

For the Expansion Draft, a professional season is defined as 10 or more NHL games for players who are 18 or 19 years old or 10 or more NHL games, AHL, or European professional league games for a player who turns 20 before December 31 the year the season begins. The players also have to be signed to an NHL contract, so if a player played 5 seasons in the KHL before signing an NHL contract, those five seasons wouldn’t count for this requirement.

One thing that sometimes confuses people is that each team is required to expose four players who meet specific criteria.

Last expansion draft, no team had any issue meeting this requirement......

A team must expose at least 2 forwards and 1 defenseman who meet the following criteria:

• They have to be under contract in 2021-22
  • They played in 27 or more NHL games in 2020-21 OR They played in 54 or more NHL games in 2019-20- and 2020-21 combined*

A team must expose one goalie who meets the following criteria:

• They have to be under contract in 2021-22 OR
  • They have to be an RFA going into the 2021-22 season.

*This was amended  because of covid as follows ( see #63 below):

image.png.79c71998a000695870818b2ecd4d24fa.png

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, goblix said:

Vegas got stacked because teams offered up good assets to offload contracts or to pick a player they'd rather lose as opposed to another player... In reality Vegas isn't going to do us a favor for a 3rd round pick.. 

Looking at the roster in a general sense we should be able to protect our main assets and if Seattle is willing to take a stab in the dark at a random prospect that hasn't had any games in the NHL then that's just the price we pay in an expansion year. Going to lose someone no matter what here may as well let them scrape at the bottom of the barrel

I agree, I don’t think we’ll be at risk of losing anyone valuable enough to be offering up other assets in order to keep. I think we just have to face the reality that we’re gonna lose a piece, and not offer up extra assets. As you said, Vegas benefitted largely from this tactic and I think teams have learned from it. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Each NHL team must expose at least 2 Fwds and 1 D who meets the minimum games played requirement. They have nothing to do with exemption eligibility

People were discussing whether Seattle would be interested in selecting Gadjo - but I thought he didn't meet the criteria of being exposed whereby any player being exposed would have to have played a minimum of 40 games this year or 70 games combined the last two seasons. Seems I'm still not 100% certain of the criteria? 

Edited by Fanuck

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

People were discussing whether Seattle would be interested in selecting Gadjo - but I thought he didn't meet the criteria of being exposed whereby any player being exposed would have to have played a minimum of 40 games this year or 70 games combined the last two seasons. 

See the first 3 paragraphs of my post about 5 posts up

That 40 / 70 criteria is regarding the requirement that a team must expose 2 f and 1 d meeting it

All players under contract who have played 2 pro seasons must be exposed unless given a protection slot by the club. A pro season is defined as 10 games.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Every player under contract must be exposed unless protected, or ineligible to be selected by Seattle 

In order for a player to be eligible for Seattle to select them, they must have played more than 2 professional seasons by the end of the 2020-21 season.

For the Expansion Draft, a professional season is defined as 10 or more NHL games for players who are 18 or 19 years old or 10 or more NHL games, AHL, or European professional league games for a player who turns 20 before December 31 the year the season begins. The players also have to be signed to an NHL contract, so if a player played 5 seasons in the KHL before signing an NHL contract, those five seasons wouldn’t count for this requirement.

One thing that sometimes confuses people is that each team is required to expose four players who meet specific criteria.

Last expansion draft, no team had any issue meeting this requirement......

A team must expose at least 2 forwards and 1 defenseman who meet the following criteria:

• They have to be under contract in 2021-22
  • They played in 27 or more NHL games in 2020-21 OR They played in 54 or more NHL games in 2019-20- and 2020-21 combined*

A team must expose one goalie who meets the following criteria:

• They have to be under contract in 2021-22 OR
  • They have to be an RFA going into the 2021-22 season.

*This was amended  because of covid as follows ( see #63 below):

image.png.79c71998a000695870818b2ecd4d24fa.png

I believe the criteria for goalies is incorrect as stated. 

"They have to be an RFA going into the 2021-22 season." We would not have a goalie meeting that criteria nor would most teams. I believe this should actually say:

One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

•