The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Skating was always Gadj's achilles heel, everything else was there. If he's managed to overcome that then the sky is the limit for the kid. Let's not forget he put up 15 goals in 18 games in Utica last year. Pulling for him to land an NHL job.

He does look quicker out on the ice and, IMO, has performed much better than MacEwen so far in the preseason.

46 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

All the talk of him making the team seemed far-fetched to me - every year there are a dozen guys talking about how they're going to make the team.

If he keeps putting pucks in the net (or setting goals up) at every opportunity, maybe he actually forces his way onto this team?!

Two thirds of our fourth line are injured. There's definitely a spot up for grabs.

• Cheers 2

He's fixed his skating issues and is having a great camp, not the least of which was last night's game.  Seems like a perfect candidate for a bottom 6 role with the potential to play up the lineup over time.  He's responsible, smart, tough, drives play and has some offensive flair.  I'll be disappointed if he's not on the team because he's ready now and not getting through waivers. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Inspector Gadjit is a left winger and Big Mac plays on the Right.  That could mean they may both be on the 4th line.  I think Jonah has more of an offensive up side compared to Big Mac as well. B)

While what you mention about their positions is true; when you look at the roster once Petey is back, it gets a bit more complicated for TG. Does Miller switch back to being a winger and Dickenson play 3C. Where does Pod's fit in the mix? ... lots of questions as to how the roster will shake out. Added wildcards will be the return of Sutter and Motte.

Finally we have a team with depth at most forward positions and that is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Gadjovich brings just as much grit (if not more) and can score and go to the net.

Its either Gadjovich or MacEwan for me and right now Gadj just looks way better.

The other spot needs to go to an energy guy that can kill penalties like Highmore or Lockwood. Having two guys that don’t kill penalties in the bottom 6/7 is a bad idea.

Totally agree, there were two open forward spots in the lineup with Podz pencilled into one.  With Sutter and Motte out to start the season Gadj and Lockwood are moving to the top of the pile for those spots early.  Chaisson will give everyone a run for their money for the last spot as an experienced NHLer if it’s all preseason smoke and mirrors and over achievement 

8 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

He's fixed his skating issues and is having a great camp, not the least of which was last night's game.  Seems like a perfect candidate for a bottom 6 role with the potential to play up the lineup over time.  He's responsible, smart, tough, drives play and has some offensive flair.  I'll be disappointed if he's not on the team because he's ready now and not getting through waivers. 

He does not have to clear waivers...Next year he will have to clear waivers..

15 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He does look quicker out on the ice and, IMO, has performed much better than MacEwen so far in the preseason.

Noticeably quicker now, he put in the work so we shouldn't be surprised but we at this rate we're going to have a team that's going to get better and better every year and hopefully have a good surplus without robbing the farm to upgrade D.. But Gads is beginning to show his stuff but I think we got a lil spoiled with high end prospects who walked right in and played but we had to wait for some but hopefully it all works out especially for bottom six where we need to be really good to have that team we've been waiting for.. happy to see Gadj come along right now and put pressure on for a spot soon.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Noticeably quicker now, he put in the work so we shouldn't be surprised but we at this rate we're going to have a team that's going to get better and better every year and hopefully have a good surplus without robbing the farm to upgrade D.. But Gads is beginning to show his stuff but I think we got a lil spoiled with high end prospects who walked right in and played but we had to wait for some but hopefully it all works out especially for bottom six where we need to be really good to have that team we've been waiting for.. happy to see Gadj come along right now and put pressure on for a spot soon.

I am liking the way the team is shaping up but I still have some concerns about the D. If Hamonic does not play then JB is going to have to find a replacement as I just don't see anybody in the system that is up to the task yet.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gadjovich brings just as much grit (if not more) and can score and go to the net.

Its either Gadjovich or MacEwan for me and right now Gadj just looks way better.

The other spot needs to go to an energy guy that can kill penalties like Highmore or Lockwood. Having two guys that don’t kill penalties in the bottom 6/7 is a bad idea.

Unless we are playing Calgary. We may need both in the lineup in that case. 

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I can't remember whether he killed penalties last year.  I think he did but I can't remember if he did last season in Utica.  I do agree that Inspector Gadjit is looking better than Big Mac.  Jonah looks to be in better control when skating at top speed. B) 

• Cheers 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I doubt he would clear waivers either. Based on what I have seen so far I would be tempted to waive MacEwen if it came down to a choice between the two of them.

There is no doubt in my mind that Gads would be the better player to keep. Not because I have massive hopes for the guy, even though I think he *could* become a prototypical 3rd/4th liner, but more because I just don't see much upside to (nor improvement from) Big Mac. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Gads would be the better player to keep. Not because I have massive hopes for the guy, even though I think he *could* become a prototypical 3rd/4th liner, but more because I just don't see much upside to (nor improvement from) Big Mac. 

Unfortunately Green likes to go with guys he knows and he seems to like MacEwan.

If they put Gadj on waivers to keep MacEwan I’ll be pretty disappointed.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately Green likes to go with guys he knows and he seems to like MacEwan.

If they put Gadj on waivers to keep MacEwan I’ll be pretty disappointed.

Judging by the look of today's practice, that seems to be exactly what they are going to do.  Maybe figuring (hoping) Gadjovich is still enough of an unknown commodity that no one will take him.