The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder why they don't swap Kielly and DiPietro, let the kid play the bulk of the games and leave Utica's bad goalie on the taxi squad. Everyone knows he's there in case of injuries which of course could happen at any time. That being said, an entire season of DiPietro training under Ian Clarke isn't a bad thing at all.

They have to do this.  The playoffs are a slim possibility right now, let alone if they're forced to go to their 3rd string goalie, no matter who it is.  Training the entire season under Ian Clarke is truly making the best of a bad situation.  Nothing can replicate the learning acquired through playing games.

8 hours ago, gurn said:

Signing someone, means more money out of the owners pocket.

Easy to do when it is other peoples money.

I understand but i mean they must look at it as a long term investment. If they keep Mikey here and have no game practice, he will lose a year of development which will delay their return on investment

6 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

I understand but i mean they must look at it as a long term investment. If they keep Mikey here and have no game practice, he will lose a year of development which will delay their return on investment

Yes.  And he is not a bank GIC.

He is a young kid who is stuck without an opportunity to play games for over a year as part of the Canuck organization while all around him his peers are getting an opportunity to play. There is a big emotional toll to that.

Gotta fix this.

Said it since the start of the season, the lack of foresight into this situation is why the management group and ownership group are just not good enough.

To let a top end goalie prospect sit for likely another year with no actual plan is unacceptable. Could see this a mile away once Domingue got signed by CGY.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Said it since the start of the season, the lack of foresight into this situation is why the management group and ownership group are just not good enough.

To let a top end goalie prospect sit for likely another year with no actual plan is unacceptable. Could see this a mile away once Domingue got signed by CGY.

just because they're  not letting you in on the plan doesn't mean there isn't one.  They need an NHL calibre third goalie close by, rather than waiting two weeks to clear quarantine

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

just because they're  not letting you in on the plan doesn't mean there isn't one.  They need an NHL calibre third goalie close by, rather than waiting two weeks to clear quarantine

I agreed with this at the start of the season.  But there comes a time when it's going to be hard for the Canucks can realistically make a comeback to the playoff picture (if we aren't already there yet).  I think we're at the point if Demko goes down, is a tandem of Holtby and DiPietro good enough to get us back to the playoff picture?  If the answer is no, might as well bring Kielly up and get DiPietro some games in the AHL.

I'm not going to hold my breath though.  My guess is DiPietro is on the taxi squad until one of Demko or Holtby gets injured.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Then sign a veteran one and let DiPietro develop in Utica.

Edited by Josepho

4 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Did we not send a goalie to play on the Moose?

At the end of this month, we have a whole week off between games. Maybe that will be the time to send DiPietro down?

Is there a quarantine requirement when you move into the US ? I thought it was only in Canada and who knows maybe they've queitly all had their vaccinations already

9 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Did we not send a goalie to play on the Moose?

At the end of this month, we have a whole week off between games. Maybe that will be the time to send DiPietro down?

Arturs Silovs went to the Moose a month ago as a favour to the Canucks..  In the month he has been there he has played only 1 game for them.  Winnipeg has it's own goalie prospects that are playing on their farm.  Manitoba is not a realistic place to send DiPietro as he won't get games there either. Domingue could have sat on the taxi squad or we could have picked up someone off waivers early in the season to fulfill that role (Like Wpg did with Eric Comrie). diPietro fulfilling this role is a lousy situation for a 21 year old prospect.

Anyway, clock is still ticking on this and it is really a shame that DiPietro is getting no game time nearly 13 months since he last played a game anywhere. I remain hopeful that this gets resolved for him soon.  

Living in Vancouver, practising and rubbing shoulders with the big club pros and getting 1-1 time with Clarke is not a bad situation.  He may even get a chance with the team if either Demko or Holby have an injury.  I'm sure he'd choose all that over living in the Peg and playing the odd game in the AHL.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Arturs Silovs went to the Moose a month ago as a favour to the Canucks..  In the month he has been there he has played only 1 game for them.  Winnipeg has it's own goalie prospects that are playing on their farm.  Manitoba is not a realistic place to send DiPietro as he won't get games there either. Domingue could have sat on the taxi squad or we could have picked up someone off waivers early in the season to fulfill that role (Like Wpg did with Eric Comrie). diPietro fulfilling this role is a lousy situation for a 21 year old prospect.

Anyway, clock is still ticking on this and it is really a shame that DiPietro is getting no game time nearly 13 months since he last played a game anywhere. I remain hopeful that this gets resolved for him soon.  

I'm not saying send DiPietro to the Moose, I'm saying send him to Utica and let Silovs be on the Taxi squad.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

I'm not saying send DiPietro to the Moose, I'm saying send him to Utica and let Silovs be on the Taxi squad.

What they should have done is sent DiPetro to Utica, Silovs stays in Manitoba, and Jake Kielly rides it out on the taxi squad.

Feels like such a wasted year for DiPetro... he needs games. There's no way you can defend management for this blunder. This team should have traded for Troy Grosenick after Edmonton claimed him on waivers and got him through Canadian quarantine or something else instead of letting DiPetro sit on the taxi squad all year doing nothing. Ridiculous situation they are in.

With Toronto's glut of goalies, I'm hoping the Canucks can make a deal for one of Veini Vehvilainen or Michael Hutchinson before it's too late. Seems like they could swap Ashton Sautner or Guillame Brisebois for one of those guys, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am kinda' hoping Mikey might get a game in the next few before he is reassigned to the Taxi Squad.  It would be good to see him play as if Holtby was taken in the ED I think Mikey has a shot at being the back-up next season.  B)