The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Right now, I think Jack is a better Dman than OJ and should be in the line up.  Jack and Jett were a great pairing in Utica during his short time there. B)

I agree Jack could be better than OJ.  But both are better than Benn and some nights Elder.  

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I agree Jack could be better than OJ.  

Two entirely different kinds of players. Jack, if he makes it, will always be the flashier of the two and put up more points. Juolevi operates on his smarts and calm play.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Right now, I think Jack is a better Dman than OJ and should be in the line up.  Jack and Jett were a great pairing in Utica during his short time there. B)

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

I agree Jack could be better than OJ.  But both are better than Benn and some nights Elder.  

*More dynamic =\= 'better'

I would say that Juolevi's defensive play is easily, WAY ahead of Rathbone's. I doubt we'll see coaches trust Rathbone with limited PK time like they have with OJ. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*More dynamic =\= 'better'

I would say that Juolevi's defensive play is easily, WAY ahead of Rathbone's. I doubt we'll see coaches trust Rathbone with limited PK time like they have with OJ. 

Juolevi can't pivot!! important especially for  D I'm sure he's been working on it but his last game made the  same gaff and that's the last time we saw OJ

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Juolevi can't pivot!! important especially for  D I'm sure he's been working on it but his last game made the  same gaff and that's the last time we saw OJ

Indeed, he still appeared to be strengthening that previously injured knee and improving his pivot. Hopefully that's been a focus during his time off.

Not sure what that has to do with what I posted though? Juolevi has far more mature defensive play and had played PK at this level. Rathbone is far more 'dynamic' but nowhere near as refined defensively. They're good at different things, in different ways.

Just now, aGENT said:

Indeed, he still appeared to be strengthening that previously injured knee and improving his pivot. Hopefully that's been a focus during his time off.

Not sure what that has to do with what I posted though? Juolevi has far more mature defensive play and had played PK at this level. Rathbone is far more 'dynamic' but nowhere near as refined defensively. They're good at different things, in different ways.

The last game twice he had a guy coming down his side and the opponent went inside outside and left OJ in his dust and twice as a result drove to the net, you just can't give that play up in the Pros. There are scouts watching every game from all the teams and the word will be out OJ can't pivot. I hope he can over come this deficiency but he ain't going any where until he can 

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The last game twice he had a guy coming down his side and the opponent went inside outside and left OJ in his dust and twice as a result drove to the net, you just can't give that play up in the Pros. There are scouts watching every game from all the teams and the word will be out OJ can't pivot. I hope he can over come this deficiency but he ain't going any where until he can 

So once again, not actually responding to anything I posted... Cool.

I'll just go back to ignoring/not responding to your posts.

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry IMO there was nothing to comment on other than maybe a unreasonable  affiliation with OJ. He plays a mature game, I don't even know what that means, he's been a perennial negative player since he joined Utica  in 2018. Make of it what you will. How long do you wait for his technical deficiency before you give up and move on especially if there's a better player waiting for his chance. I was not trying to avoid 

Edited by Fred65

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It’s funny because you’re even acknowledging the fact that OJ has things to work on. Fred seems to pick and choose what he responds to. Don’t know why it’s so hard for people to see that both these players have certain strengths as well as deficiencies. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

If that's the only bad part of his game according to the countless times i've seen you post it (and only you) that's not to bad for the coaches to work with. Could even probably be adjusted in short time.

• Cheers 1

On 4/17/2021 at 9:46 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

Jack Rathbone is on his way to the Canucks. About time!!!image.png.dbc9134231dd1a8fe17d2bfa04a465b3.png

I love Rathbone, but this may be a little early. In any event, it’s infinitely better than letting the young guys rot. Especially in light of the performance of Chatfield and Brisebois in tonight’s win over The Make Beliefs.

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Two entirely different kinds of players. Jack, if he makes it, will always be the flashier of the two and put up more points. Juolevi operates on his smarts and calm play.

There are no flies on Jack when it comes to smarts. The only thing he lacks compared to Juolevi is size. Jack is second best on his team with +/-, not something that Juolevi could ever brag about. But I don’t say that to put Juolevi down, I believe he has a spot on the Canucks. One of the problems for Rathbone, is that most of the offensive play opportunities that he could trigger will gobbled up by Hughes - that is not a fate that Juolevi contends with. I Olli ultimately as a second or third line D who can give you some smart play in transition and on offence.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I love Rathbone, but this may be a little early. In any event, it’s infinitely better than letting the young guys rot. Especially in light of the performance of Chatfield and Brisebois in tonight’s win over The Make Beliefs.

Not sure  if he is ready for the bigs yet either Ray and hope that Baumer is smart about his deployment when he plays.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, dpn1 said:

He’s a different D from OJ. OJ wasn’t drafted for point production, he was drafted as a closer who would settle the game down for us, when needed.

Rathbone was drafted for his creativity and vision.

So, not really fiar to compare them yet, till we see how they both handle the NHL level of play.

Personally, I’ve been impressed by what OJ has shown so far, he’s been steady, although somewhat sheltered, which is normal for first season.

I want to see how Rathbone compares to Hughes for overall game. With our tight schedule over the next month, I expect all our Taxi squad guys will get regular rotation to help inject energy into what will be a very tired lineup within 2 weeks.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Sad to see some pit OJ against Jack. I’ve even done something similar in a post, though it wasn’t my intent to do so. 

I think OJ could be just fine. Want to see him play some decent, not overly sheltered minutes to hopefully see where he is with his game. The hockey IQ is there, and I think his passing ability is great. Just needs a half a step more quickness and improved pivoting. 

But I think Jack Rathbone is going to be special. His short spell in Utica really showed what caliber of prospect he is. And when was the last time we had a D man with an accurate slap shot bomb from the point? So jazzed to see him play.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Sad to see some pit OJ against Jack. I’ve even done something similar in a post, though it wasn’t my intent to do so. 

I think OJ could be just fine. Want to see him play some decent, not overly sheltered minutes to hopefully see where he is with his game. The hockey IQ is there, and I think his passing ability is great. Just needs a half a step more quickness and improved pivoting. 

But I think Jack Rathbone is going to be special. His short spell in Utica really showed what caliber of prospect he is. And when was the last time we had a D man with an accurate slap shot bomb from the point? So jazzed to see him play.

A left side of Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi sounds pretty good to me. I don't see why these guys would be pitted against each other, its likely that OJ is going to be more 5 on 5 and PK time, and Rathbone used more offensively. 

• Cheers 2