The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

42 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

While it's an emotional time right now, soon enough we're going to realize that this is a key turning point for this franchise.

1.  Only Edler and Tanev remaining from 2011.

2.  Young players are now the de facto core of this team.

3.  Bo Horvat will become captain.

4.  Pettersson, Gaudette, and Dahlen are coming in next year after leading their men's leagues in scoring.  Think Toronto 2016 and Devils/Avs 2017.

5.  We have a TONNE of capspace.  Stand by on the EKane and possibly even Tavares front.

6.  The playing style of this team will now change to high-energy, fast, attacking, 4-line offensive hockey.

7.  The way things are shaping up and coming together right now, could the capper be, finally, a lotto win for a franchise player?

It is a VERY exciting time to be a Canuck fan.

Would be poetic to have EP and RD begin a new era with us post-Sedins.

If real life is like Hollywood.

Than You Henrik and Daniel,

Amazing to watch your skill, courage, toughness, generosity, and humility over the years.

I am sad you never got the Cup as a player.

I am also sad to see you go, but looking forward to the future.

You should be proud of your legacy.

One thing that was so impressive outside of dominating the Ozone and first class people in the community, was how mentally strong they were as leaders of this hockey crazy market.

When things were ugly in a succession of losses or the last game of the 2011 final, as captain Henrik's sheer emotional strength and determination to handle the press, the team and the fans was absolutely incredible.

Prior captains of the Canucks, and many others team couldn't handle this pressure nearly as well as Hank and Dank.

They could have asked to be traded to a contender.

They could have expressed a wish to return and haggled over price

They could have gone to Free Agency

They could have come back and held 2 spots next year.

They could have announced their intentions earlier and received much more attention for a longer period of time.

What they chose to do, as they always have, is to put the team first and go as quietly as possible. 

Time waits for no one and this was inevitable but it could not have been handled any better or with more class than it was.

While I am excited about the future, it is always hard to let go of the past and the Sedins gave us much to be proud of and to remember.

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am long-done with the twins. 

I do not consider them to be ‘the best players to ever wear a Canucks jersey’.

BTW, it’s a sweater, not a jersey. 

I know now it’s hard for posters to believe, but I think the team is better off without their sheltered deployment scheme. The Team is better for their retirement. 

I didn't think I could like you any less as a poster before this post. I was wrong. Not only disrespecting 2 greats, but the audacity to adress something so frivolous in the same post really set a new standard of bad posting around here.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“It was tough to hear, it was emotional. I’ve played four years with them and it’s been an honour. They’ve been such great role models. Their leadership will be tough to fill.” - Horvat

That's where you and Boeser come in... 

2 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Didn't say it was.

But you're in here being a belligerent prick when the majority of people are trying to celebrate the careers of two players they like. If you can't understand why this isn't the time or the place, then I'm assuming that you're looking to provoke people. Which is a shame.

Maybe it's heard for you to understand, but people form pretty serious sentimental attachments to athletes that they follow for a long time. Why don't you want people to be able to just be happy and nostalgic for a while? Are you that miserable?

Yes, he is. @189lb enforcers? is a troll though, not sure why you bother responding to him. He clearly just looks for reactions around here.

I am not an overly emotional guy.  I didn't cry at my wedding and when my baby was born (although do I ever love them both.) But dammit if i didn't get a little misty hearing the news.  I was hoping the Sedin's would retire.  The cap space and new blood should be good for the team.  But hearing they are actually going to retire has put me in a funk.  I love those two dudes and what they did for this city, this province and this league is amazing.  Congrats to both on the hall of fame careers and best of luck in all their future endeavours.

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Willing to bet the Sedins didn't announce this on Saturday because they didn't want to overshadow Demko's debut. 

And definitely not yesterday because nobody would have believed it. ;)

This is a bit of a shocker but definitely the right move for the Sedins and I respect them even more now after they've come to this smart decision considering all the pros and cons. 

It's really good to see them going out on somewhat of high and not when their ice time and game is deteriorated to the point of something they'e both not proud of.

There was times this season where it was sad to see the game had really passed them by and their weaknesses were even more exposed than ever even though there was times you could also see a lot of their skills were still there occasionally as well.

For the betterment of the future of this organization really this Canucks team needed a new harder to play against identity and we've seen that taking shape and will continue to with all the young kids coming that have the skill but with more speed and power and defensive abilities to their game.

Personally the Sedins have always been a bit bitter sweet for me because while I enjoyed how their great offensive skill helped the team I love become a top team in the league I also really regretted the Sedins could never get their game to that next level that's needed to win at the most important times in the regular season or the playoffs and that was extremely disappointing.

Truth is there is a point in time in the meaningful games you have to raise your game to a level where you're extremely difficult to play against and you'll do whatever it takes to score and lead your team to big wins and you will if you have that ability. Unfortunately there was a point I came to realize it just wasn't a level they could achieve and winning style they could play no matter how hard they worked. I also then realized I can't really be too mad or blame them for something that just wasn't possible for them considering their slight frames ,lack of speed and strength and mental makeup.

In the end I'll always have a tonne of respect for these 2 class acts because they completely did the best they could with what they had on the ice but even more so that they were always great teammates, loyal as it gets and as giving as possible to the organization and the city of Vancouver. 

All the best wishes for these 2 amazing men hopefully the organization offers them a job they'll take when their ready and this won't be the end!

Now like every other greatful fan I'm really looking forward to all the respect and appreciation they're about to receive and they deserve every bit of it!

3 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Wanted to reply to it more level headed before people started giving him the reactions he actually wants, I guess.

I put him on ignore about 3 posts into his miserable existence here.

10 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

I'd tell you to keep heading down there, Deb.  The twins will have taught the young ones well; someone will pick up where they left off.

True.  My guess is Stech...who hangs out in that corner and has picked up where Burr left off in fetching pucks out of the net.  Just going to really miss those two faces....

Caught off guard by both the decision and timing. 

Wonder if Henrik formally passes on the C to Bo? That would be amazing.

Thanks @Warhippy for posting that great vid compilation of Sedinery. That should be required curriculum for all our future fans.

Wish them all the best and hopeful they can still mentor our young Swedes like Salo is doing with Juolevi.

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

They could have asked to be traded to a contender.

They could have expressed a wish to return and haggled over price

They could have gone to Free Agency

They could have come back and held 2 spots next year.

They could have announced their intentions earlier and received much more attention for a longer period of time.

What they chose to do, as they always have, is to put the team first and go as quietly as possible. 

Time waits for no one and this was inevitable but it could not have been handled any better or with more class than it was.

While I am excited about the future, it is always hard to let go of the past and the Sedins gave us much to be proud of and to remember.

Well said. 

These guys are just not about themselves. I hope that rubs off on the next core of leaders. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am happy.

C3D2CC70-CD16-4B1E-B3D1-709F63402374.gif.d8c052cd3e6c69ae6cf478cb50cd1bac.gif

So done with Naslund/Sedin Era Hockey. 

I wish I could re-enable minuses for just this post so it could get flamed like the dirtbag post it is.

Archived