It's too bad Woo wasn't invited to the training camp. Though I understand that he's under the current AHL D-men and Rathbone on the depth chart

Rather give our prospects a shot rather than bringing in another 6 mil cap hit. The media controls this team too much. We can get better with youth. We can replace Veterns. You have to start the pipeline for it to work.

On 4/15/2020 at 2:54 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not far off Dumbas projection.

• Hydration 1

I hope this guy is ready for next season. We need him and OJ to step up here. Our cap situation is too tight to land land big names like Pietrangelo, Eckblad, Barrie or Dumba.

Be nice for some ELCs onto the team to get Marky, Toffoli and Tanev to return.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I hope this guy is ready for next season. We need him and OJ to step up here. Our cap situation is too tight to land land big names like Pietrangelo, Eckblad, Barrie or Dumba.

Be nice for some ELCs onto the team to get Marky, Toffoli and Tanev to return.

Woo I doubt will be ready for a while, he wasn't even invited to the WJC try out's. Mean time we thankfully we have RHD Rafferty who put up great stats last year in Utica, looks to me like he's more advanced then Woo. On the LHD side I tend to think Rathbone will get a long look he seems to have a complete game at Harvard 

Just now, Fred65 said:

Woo I doubt will be ready for a while, he wasn't even invited to the WJC try out's. Mean time we thankfully we have RHD Rafferty who put up great stats last year in Utica, looks to me like he's more advanced then Woo. On the LHD side I tend to think Rathbone will get a long look he seems to have a complete game at Harvard 

I see Rathbone having a full solid year in Utica then making the jump the following year.

I think OJ is gonna stick with the club. He's paid his dues and there's probably a bit more urgency to see what he's got whereas we can be a bit more patient with Rathbone.

Unless of course he blows camp out of the water.

Woo will probably be another 2-3 years. Could end up as a solid top 6 D(Dillon level) IMO hopefully. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I see Rathbone having a full solid year in Utica then making the jump the following year.

I think OJ is gonna stick with the club. He's paid his dues and there's probably a bit more urgency to see what he's got whereas we can be a bit more patient with Rathbone.

Unless of course he blows camp out of the water.

Woo will probably be another 2-3 years. Could end up as a solid top 6 D(Dillon level) IMO hopefully. 

That's the question, on the LHD side Rathbone or Juolevi, who ever it is I hope it's made on merit rather than politics. Woo frankly seemed to regress in Calgary

Edited by Fred65

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

That's the question, on the LHD side Rathbone or Juolevi, who ever it is I hope it's made on merit rather than politics

It's not politics there's a lot too it.

By merits if I were a betting man it would be OJ due to the fact that he paid a lot of dues in the AHL last year(with being a main PKer and on the PP) and could step into a PK role and 2nd PP role in the NHL. That's quality minutes. Frankly Greener knows a lot more about OJ and what he can do and what roles he could potentially step into. Whomever is playing in the top 6 should be playing the PK or else you rely on Tanev/Edler/Myers more than you should.

Rathbone might be stuck getting low minutes in the NHL or in the pressbox which isn't good for a 1st year pro player. I doubt Greener is the type of coach to put rookie defenseman who he doesn't know or hasn't gotten information like you would from AHL coaches on the PK like OJ. Also you gotta consider what's the better development path. Rathbone would play a lot more in his first pro season in the AHL without any risks of sitting in the pressbox. Have to remember it'll be his first pro year. Big jump in quality of play.

OJ also had the huge advantage of being in the bubble with the team all playoffs. Spending time with the coaches, the players, practicing with them, building chemistry.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's not politics there's a lot too it.

By merits if I were a betting man it would be OJ due to the fact that he paid a lot of dues in the AHL last year(with being a main PKer and on the PP) and could step into a PK role and 2nd PP role in the NHL. That's quality minutes. Frankly Greener knows a lot more about OJ and what he can do and what roles he could potentially step into. Whomever is playing in the top 6 should be playing the PK or else you rely on Tanev/Edler/Myers more than you should.

Rathbone might be stuck getting low minutes in the NHL or in the pressbox which isn't good for a 1st year pro player. I doubt Greener is the type of coach to put rookie defenseman who he doesn't know or hasn't gotten information like you would from AHL coaches on the PK like OJ. Also you gotta consider what's the better development path. Rathbone would play a lot more in his first pro season in the AHL without any risks of sitting in the pressbox. Have to remember it'll be his first pro year. Big jump in quality of play.

OJ also had the huge advantage of being in the bubble with the team all playoffs. Spending time with the coaches, the players, practicing witn AHL league this coming seasonh them, building chemistry.

There is unlikely to be an AHL this coming season so it's going to be tough Juolevi might end up with TPS, Where Rathbone ends up who knows

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There is unlikely to be an AHL this coming season so it's going to be tough Juolevi might end up with TPS, Where Rathbone ends up who knows

Tps?

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

HC TPS is the Liiga team in Turku, Finland. Sami Salo is assistant coach there and it’s where Juolevi was loaned back in 2017-18.

Yeah not a fan of that. If he cant crack the canucks I want him close by with the comets 

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah not a fan of that. If he cant crack the canucks I want him close by with the comets 

I think he was just saying OJ would be loaned to TPS if there is no AHL season. Which is a very real possibility.

6 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think he was just saying OJ would be loaned to TPS if there is no AHL season. Which is a very real possibility.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. My mistake.

• Hydration 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, Googlie said:

Exactly. We have our own Dumba in the system,.   Both right hand shots..........

As a 19 yr old, Woo was 7 and 39, for 46 points in 64 games

Dumba split his 19 yr old season between Minnesota and Portland - his junior stats were 8 and 16 for 24 points in 26 games (1 and 1 in 13 games for the Wild)

Going back one year ...

As an 18 yr old, Woo was 12 and 54 for 66 points in 62 games

As an 18 yr old, Dumba was 16 and 26 for 42 points in 62 games

Definitely,

Woo seems like one of our more underrated prospects but one of the best.

Woo is very competitive and driven to get better. After a year or so in Utica he will be NHL ready and I think a really good and very popular Canuck player. 

• Hydration 1

On 9/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

Definitely,

Woo seems like one of our more underrated prospects but one of the best.

Woo is very competitive and driven to get better. After a year or so in Utica he will be NHL ready and I think a really good and very popular Canuck player. 

Underrated because people only look at offensive numbers, and he didn't score more once he got traded to a new WHL team.  

I really hope that Woo is able to get a spot in Finland or Sweden somewhere.  He needs to play a lot and stay healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

On 9/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, cory40 said:

Rather give our prospects a shot rather than bringing in another 6 mil cap hit. The media controls this team too much. We can get better with youth. We can replace Veterns. You have to start the pipeline for it to work.

BC Historically has an issue with starting pipelines. Too many protesters...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see Craig Button doesn't have Woo listed in the top 10 in his latest rating of Canucks prospects on the TSN website.  He's been overtaken by the likes of McDonough, Utunen, etc.