The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man up! I’m pissed!

Dumb Nuck

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

With an already depleted roster we can't afford more injuries or suspensions.

The team needs to play tough on an every single individual basis.  Fighting tough is a good way for us to lose even more players as we end up getting most of the attention.  I like don't back down and hit hard tough.  I think our guys will be just fine.

I like Jake Virtanen type toughness.  Can play but also isn't scared or tentative out there.  Even Petey surprises me with how he'll go into a puck battle and not shy away.

This topic is so overdone.

Virt plays pretty hard, and can hit from time to time, but he is far from being a force or a person who intimidates. 

And yeah, Pettersson battle back a bit, but my 10 year old nephew would kick his ass. Hahah.  

We we have a few players who can kinda hold their own, but only one player who can keep the other team honest.  Guddy.  

Its not so much about gooning, but more about not being the little bitch of the league.  

We got zero respect from other teams when being lead by the Sedin’s because there was zero chance of any kind of response or retribution.  Sure it was nice to be a classy team, but class doesn’t win a thing in the NHL.  

Man I miss the Rock em Sock em days.  Hahahah

13 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I don’t think there was anyone in the lineup last night that could drop the gloves . Horvat is too important to sit for 5 mins, but probably the best fighter dressed in a Canuck uniform last night.

Horvat really isn't a fighter though.  Including this season so far, he's had two NHL fights in over four seasons.  This isn't to say he never drops the gloves; only that it's not really his forte'.  

Now if this is the only guy in your lineup that can (or will) do that, then you've got problems.

I remember in the last post-season series we had, Hamhuis (of all people) came in to be a 'third man in' when he saw Dorsett was overmatched in a fight (I forgot who the Flamer was).  I'm not sure we have anybody in the roster to do that now (with guys like Guds out with an injury).

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It frustrates me as well but look at our team!!  Petey, Goldy and Boeser...which of those will protect the other?  Leipsic, Granlund, Eriksson...ya right!  ON D we have Tanev, Stecher, Pouliot, Biega...Not exactly intimidating.  Edler is big but scares no one.  MDZ is physical but also not intimidating.  Jake is big and hits hard but he is no fighter. Schaller is softer than Charmin and has done nothing physical since he came here.   Bo is big but he is not overly physical when it comes to hitting and has not shown himself to be a fighter.

Aside from Guddy, we literally have a team of small, non-physical, non-fighters.  Who is going to respond?  

You bring up a good point, we are a small, non-aggressive team for the most part. These players are getting banged up because we are intimidating no-one. Maybe our team does not get multiple injuries, year after year, if we initiate aggressive contact instead of trying to avoid it. We are definitely not getting any help from the refs(look at our penalties compared to the rest of the league) and definitely nothing from DOPS, so what have we got to lose by playing more aggressive.

Look at the first game of the season where we had Calgary on their toes as our players were initiating heavy contact. We don't need to fight we just have to play hard, especially along the boards.

Yes we are lacking a Byfuglien or a Stevens or a Pronger but our bigger players(Gudbranson,Virtanen,Edler,Schaller) should be making it harder for the opposition to operate, especially in the O'Zone.

If the agitators agitate, and the big aggressive players hit, the smaller more skilled players should have more room to be able to do their job and score. What a concept.::D

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Horvat really isn't a fighter though.  Including this season so far, he's had two NHL fights in over four seasons.  This isn't to say he never drops the gloves; only that it's not really his forte'.  

Now if this is the only guy in your lineup that can (or will) do that, then you've got problems.

I remember in the last post-season series we had, Hamhuis (of all people) came in to be a 'third man in' when he saw Dorsett was overmatched in a fight (I forgot who the Flamer was).  I'm not sure we have anybody in the roster to do that now (with guys like Guds out with an injury).

Engelland was the Flame. 

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree.

Unfortunately, they're a rare breed.

I think Jake has the potential to become one of these guys to some degree.  Loose cannon tough.

Yeah, I don't want our players breaking knuckles......

I want our players putting them through the boards with clean honest through the wall hits!

It will be the same thing  when one of theirs does something stupid then

our team starts blasting them through the boards.................it makes the same point

Just for the record.......hitting a helmit with your knuckle repeatedly.....friggin hurts....not so much at the time......but for years later!

The gift that keeps on giving! Trust me I know!.... I honestly don't blame Gud since he had his last fight, his knuckles probably have a shelf life by now.

I'm convinced that, were it a Canuck hitting a yellow nights player in like fashion, we would have gotten a penalty as well as a suspension as a result. This crap happens season after season and people wonder why we incur so many injuries. Reffing and DOPes are a joke and seem to be following a hidden agenda. Favoring certain American teams and toronto rather than specifically targeting the Canucks; although the latter part is questionable to say the least.

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You bring up a good point, we are a small, non-aggressive team for the most part. These players are getting banged up because we are intimidating no-one. Maybe our team does not get multiple injuries, year after year, if we initiate aggressive contact instead of trying to avoid it. We are definitely not getting any help from the refs(look at our penalties compared to the rest of the league) and definitely nothing from DOPS, so what have we got to lose by playing more aggressive.

Look at the first game of the season where we had Calgary on their toes as our players were initiating heavy contact. We don't need to fight we just have to play hard, especially along the boards.

Yes we are lacking a Byfuglien or a Stevens or a Pronger but our bigger players(Gudbranson,Virtanen,Edler,Schaller) should be making it harder for the opposition to operate, especially in the O'Zone.

If the agitators agitate, and the big aggressive players hit, the smaller more skilled players should have more room to be able to do their job and score. What a concept.::D

Agreed.  

The number of cheap shots we have received this year could be directly related to the fact that the Canucks do not respond to liberties taken.  The DOPS seldom disciplines and our own guys turn the other cheek.  The opposite of being hard to play against. 

Having non-physical and smaller players chasing the game and/or being forced to fight in the corners and on the boards against larger more physical players is a recipe for penalties and injuries...coincidence we are the most penalized and injured team??  

Just for the record, I met a lot of BC Amateur Execs., who have later slid into higher hockey positions..........

Just like cops, and other enforcement people........they don't wake up saying I think I am going to get this guy or that guy

They know the names and the faces, and watch some closer that others, but they don't single out guys

unless the guy is doing some serious $&!#..... it just that we love our guys more than we like theirs....so everything gets bigger looking outwards

things are happening fast out there....and I hate refs, but? Most people are decent people.

Now Bettman is a completely different story

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agreed.  

The number of cheap shots we have received this year could be directly related to the fact that the Canucks do not respond to liberties taken.  The DOPS seldom disciplines and our own guys turn the other cheek.  The opposite of being hard to play against. 

Having non-physical and smaller players chasing the game and/or being forced to fight in the corners and on the boards against larger more physical players is a recipe for penalties and injuries...coincidence we are the most penalized and injured team??  

Motte displays the right amount of aggressiveness and giving that 110% every night and never misses the opportunity to finish his check. The only problem is that he is small and intimidates no-one. If only our bigger players could display some kind of game remotely similar to his.

On the topic of being pissed off and sick, I am really fed of both Eriksson and Markstrom. Eriksson was brought in to add scoring but instead he just floats around as quiet as a mouse and gets the odd point here and there. He thrives with the Sedins in the Olympics but does f all with them on the Canuicks. 6 million for a guy who is supposed to be top six 20 goal + player but instead contributes on the level of a 4th liner. He has had ample opportunity to show his worth but has done nothing. He doesn't even look motivated or like he gives a damn. This guy has got to go, I'm down for anything to get rid of him. My patience is completely up with him. And then Markstrom, what the hell is this guy doing in a starter role? He also has had ample opportunity to prove himself but still plays like s**t. I don't see any improvement in his game. Game after game of below average play in the below 900% range. The Canucks would probably be 10 points higher in the standings if they replaced him with a competent starting goalie. There's my little rant.

Now you guys are all talking what i have been yelling about..i was not looking for goon style hockey ..this is part of the game you need that third line or 4th line that has grit but a bit of talent like a dorsett...hardto come by...no disregard to schiller but he is more of a low end grinder ....rousell is ok and has speed but will go nuts when need be..you need find that elusive player somewhere..a good tough guy with skill is like finding a super star in the NHL....maybe he is the minors .....i remember the canucks bringing up one guy but i think his name joe labatte...not saying he would work but his style of hockey..

9 hours ago, NHL'er said:

You don't need Rock em sock em hockey for some speedy skilled toughness: 

Marcus Foligno

Evander Kane

Josh Anderson

Jamie Benn 

Wayne Simmonds

Anders Lee

Matthew Tkachuk

Winnipeg has 2 players under 6',  their top 11 scorers are 6'+. 9 player 6'03"+

Vegas has 3 below 6'

Vancouver  has 9 below 6' including both top hitters Roussell + Motte  

interesting Reeves is = height and 1 # smaller than Virtanen, he carries himself larger

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, I don't want our players breaking knuckles......

I want our players putting them through the boards with clean honest through the wall hits!

It will be the same thing  when one of theirs does something stupid then

our team starts blasting them through the boards.................it makes the same point

Just for the record.......hitting a helmit with your knuckle repeatedly.....friggin hurts....not so much at the time......but for years later!

The gift that keeps on giving! Trust me I know!.... I honestly don't blame Gud since he had his last fight, his knuckles probably have a shelf life by now.

Me too...I agree 100%.  It keeps it clean and still sends the message.

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I don’t think there was anyone in the lineup last night that could drop the gloves . Horvat is too important to sit for 5 mins, but probably the best fighter dressed in a Canuck uniform last night.

Bit different when Gudbranson, Rousell, and Beagle are on the ice, everyone is a little braver.

No matter how many points he ends up with Rousell is such a key figure. He is a Marchand but without the assinine smirky two timing rat face basturd attitude.

18 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Scott Stevens was my idea of a defense man.He had skills to crush people or give that great pass to spring people on the fly.Rarely ever would a player of his caliber just give it back to the other team or give the suicide pass.

We should be so lucky to get a defense man of his ability,in fifty years I can see maybe three coming close but not enough of them .Our biggest handicap has been defense as you can tell by all our Stanley Cups.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS,PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Two teams headed in the right direction:

In the first period, there were two major scrums in response to perceived liberties. Zebras just watched and let the players police the game. Glorious to watch. Would love it if Canucks took notes and will follow suit.

A man can dream.

84E714ED-BBD6-4647-8010-C9DFFFAEAB6D.jpeg

17 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Bit different when Gudbranson, Rousell, and Beagle are on the ice, everyone is a little braver.

I dont think Rousell makes anyone taller and well Gudbranson he's always injured. I like Beagle cant wait for his return hopefully tonight.This team needs toughness on the backend and we need it now. We need a big dependable d-man to skate alongside Quinn when he arrives, someone who's durable. Gudbranson's not the answer this position needs to be full time not part time.

16 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

On the topic of being pissed off and sick, I am really fed of both Eriksson and Markstrom. Eriksson was brought in to add scoring but instead he just floats around as quiet as a mouse and gets the odd point here and there. He thrives with the Sedins in the Olympics but does f all with them on the Canuicks. 6 million for a guy who is supposed to be top six 20 goal + player but instead contributes on the level of a 4th liner. He has had ample opportunity to show his worth but has done nothing. He doesn't even look motivated or like he gives a damn. This guy has got to go, I'm down for anything to get rid of him. My patience is completely up with him. And then Markstrom, what the hell is this guy doing in a starter role? He also has had ample opportunity to prove himself but still plays like s**t. I don't see any improvement in his game. Game after game of below average play in the below 900% range. The Canucks would probably be 10 points higher in the standings if they replaced him with a competent starting goalie. There's my little rant.

Your goaltending save percentage is the product of your defense

On 11/30/2018 at 3:30 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

I am so sick and tired of watching the Canucks be so abused with no response, it’s a dangerous attitude to turn the other cheek that put our young stars at increased risk. Someone needs to man up and start letting the other teams know cheap shots are not OK, the refs sure as hell ain’t gonna do it.

I've been harping on this for years. The softness, especially at home, must end. The Reffs won't deal with it and we are a joke at home.

The Rog is where the Nucks bend over and take crap from bigger opponents. What's wrong with JB and Green? They must see this yet keep rolling hamster lines.

Ws are less important because our players ultimately get injured and we lose more by attrition. Make the Rog a hard place for opponents and I will be happy. Until then, I fear every game and condemn the "open season mentality" Management supports.  Every year posters tell me size it will come later when we are ready to make noise in the post season. I don't get that strategy.    

Archived