The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What Does Pittsburgh Have For Sutter?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

I think Rutherford traded Sutter away twice, I highly doubt he wants him back.

1st in the Staal to Carolina deal as the Hurricane's GM.

2nd in the Sutter/Bonino deal as the Pens' GM.

he's a different player now, he's not "2nd line scoring Sutter" he's shutdown line Sutter. Depends on the need. 

Not a big fan of Sutter. I love the heart and soul guys I just don’t really like his game. 

Beagle and the emergence of Gaudette make him redundant. Trade from a position of strength to fill other holes. 

IfI can get decent d prospect or pics I walk away happy. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sutter would return way more than just a first.  He would only go to a top tier team, so the first would be late in round one, so there would definitely need to be more.  Sutter is great in a shut-down role, and taking the heavy minutes from the top offensive players.  His value to a top team, because of this, will be A LOT. 

I agree. A lot on this site look at points only to evaluate players and don’t understand that wins take a team effort with contributions of all sorts. People ignore how important penalty killing is to wins, faceoffs etc. These are areas that Sutter excels, the game within the game. People don’t realize having a player like Sutter taking away heavy defensive minutes from Bo and Petey allows them to focus more on scoring and less on trying to defend against the McKinnon, Crosby, Laine, Scheiffle type players in the league. Sutter plays an imperative and valuable role on the Canucks. Is he expendable with Beagle here now, yes, but it doesn’t mean he’s not a very valuable player to a team, especially for a run to the cup where those things like penalty kills and faceoffs and shutting down oppenents matters even more. 

Personally, I think Washington makes more sense. Losing Beagle has hurt them and they know it.

Sutter, Goldy,  for their first (which will be almost a second), and Burokovski and maybe another prospect.  

5 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Getting a first rounder for Sutter would be bonkers. I'd say a second would be a very good return for us and I'd be happy with a 3rd just to get rid of that contract. 

Calen Addison is who I'd be targeting from Pittsburgh but I'm sure he'd go in a bigger package than for an overpaid 3rd liner. 

Gaudette needs to play #3 centre next year....If we can get a 2nd rounder and prospect and retain $600,000 I would make that trade fast..

Must trade Sutter, Its time with Gaudette ready to develop and we have Beagle #4 centre, Bo and Pettersson top 2 guys we are in good shape at centre..

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Gaudette needs to play #3 centre next year....If we can get a 2nd rounder and prospect and retain $600,000 I would make that trade fast..

Must trade Sutter, Its time with Gaudette ready to develop and we have Beagle #4 centre, Bo and Pettersson top 2 guys we are in good shape at centre..

I don't think there is any pressure to get rid of him toot sweet. Gaudette was sent down because he was not ready and there is no reason to put pressure on him to get back to the big club before he is ready. We are sitting pretty and we are under no pressure to dump a player just because. If a good opportunity presents itself then fine, otherwise...………….

14 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I also think this idea of having a shutdown centre and line just sets a bad tone. Everytime they're on the ice we can basically expect the play to be in our own end even if we don't get scored on. 

44 minutes ago, gurn said:

Jimmy R traded Sutter twice, because at that time Jimmy valued the pieces he got more than Sutter at that time.

Things change.

But Sutter has a NTC till next years modified NTC kicks in. 

it was convenient to quote you

not really only directed at you though

interesting revision of history regarding sutter

his contract was about to expire and could not be re-signed by pitts given cap constraints

bonino was on an extremely friendly contract for another year still when he was traded

he was viewed as a bit of a step down from sutter but a 3rd line center who could still help pittsburgh

he did

at the time pitts would have kept sutter if he would not be seeking a significant salary increase

but they had to exercise some asset management to ensure that they got some value for sutter

hence the trade

this has so much more to do with financial considerations

then pitts losing confidence in sutter

he was the best player in that trade

and both teams acknowledged that

(the canucks traded a very team friendly contract, and added another player and a 2nd round draft pick

they got sutter and a 3rd - which amounted basically to a 4th given how good pens were)

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I think you know why Jimmy, you're just too polite to say it - most CDC'ers knowledge of player development comes from who they can/can't trade on EA sports games.  I don't claim to be an expert, but I've observed that people VASTLY underestimate the value of a guy like Sutter to a young, rebuilding team like the Canucks because they don't see the intangibles he can offer his teammates/coaches.  He took a HUGE weight off BoHo when he was healthy for the past few seasons allowing BoHo to play more suitable minutes and he's going to be able to do that for Elias for the next couple seasons as well.  It was clear to most anyone without full homer glasses on that when Sutter went down to injury last season that BoHo was being overworked on a nightly basis - can't think of any situation in which that was good thing for his season/development.  His on-ice/off-ice leadership, professionalism, and work-ethic are immeasurable as his is in-game experience.  Sometimes you pay a guy to allow other guys around him to develop into the players you know they can be at their own pace.   If/when this team makes the playoffs guys like Sutter/Beagle/Tanev/Edler will be the ones the kids look to for leadership - if you don't value that in a player then you risk being another Coiler tire-fire.  Sure, you overpay a bit - say half a mil/season or so - to secure his services but then you know you have him around to mentor the kids the right way.  Worth it imo. 

In other words, Benning isn't moving Sutter.  He said he wasn't selling last Thurs.  Sorry OP B)

No reason to trade Sutter this year. His value to the Canucks (veteran leadership, defensive prowess) is worth more than his value at market.

The majority of true contenders do not ice a defensive 3rd line that lacks scoring, limiting Sutter's market to bottom half playoff teams. Were he to go to Washington, as example, Sutter would likely be slotted in on the 4th line (albeit with heavier than typical 4th line minutes) in an almost purely defensive/shutdown role. He might garner a late 1st in such case, but little more.

He would need to go a fringe team that lacks offensive depth in order to excel as he does in Vancouver; and I would imagine most teams would prefer a more offensive 3rd liner, if one were available. His trade value would reflect that. Think mid-later 2nd round and a prospect, or possibly an additional 4th/5th pick.

Keep him ( ntc anyway, as mentioned) and revisit this question next season.

With the Goal  totals being the highest in over a decade, with the game being the fastest ever, Sutters Value has only gone down. Yes he has intangibles, but a team with too many of those, coupled with lack of offensive production, is either tanking rebuilding or bargain shopping the waiver wire.

I dont play hockey video games, and i honestly have no idea but, Sutter is worth a 3rd rounder possibly a 2nd in my opinion. If Benning can get more he should, yesterday.

8 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Don't think Pittsburgh would want him. They got rid of him originally to switch to Bonino and then won 2 straight cups. They didn't believe in Sutter back then, I doubt they would now. 

Sutter's worth is at an all time low right now as well with just 5 pts in 21 games following a long time on the shelf with injury. Time to trade him would be midway through next year to make room for Gaudette if he continues his stellar play in the AHL. 

They moved him to clear cap by memory. And because he was a year from UFA without ability to re-up.

Where as Bonino was on a bargain contract with an extra year on it. It helped them get a cup.

Sutter came here, it certainly seemed Pitt gave us the right to pre-discuss an extension.

Who knows what would happen if we retained, and made a deal possible? 

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think there is any pressure to get rid of him toot sweet. Gaudette was sent down because he was not ready and there is no reason to put pressure on him to get back to the big club before he is ready. We are sitting pretty and we are under no pressure to dump a player just because. If a good opportunity presents itself then fine, otherwise...………….

Gaudette was sent down as he does not have to clear waivers? Sutter and Beagle are almost the same players?

Sutter never showed any offence when put in 2nd line role when Pettersson was hurt....

If we can get a something in return for Sutter we must trade him...Gaudette has better hands and can play 3rd line centre...Coaches all liked how he played..

Playoff team could use a face-off guy and defensive forward like Sutter..

Sutter will not produce more then 20-30 points tops......THis is the time to trade him 29 yrs old...

Archived