The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does any one miss Trevor Linden?

aqua59

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If the rumours are true that he felt this team still needed some more time to become a good team, then it's a bit frustrating, seeing as Benning, and apparently now Francesco, both seem to be on board with not buying wins with short term deals.

I don't sorely miss him, no, but it does feel like he kind of got the short end of the stick.

3 hours ago, warrchief said:

Not really.

At the time, it was reported to be the differences of rebuilding but clearly I can see that's not the case because of Bennings repeated statements of not wanting to trade the farm or any picks. The emergence of Pettersson and the recent free agent signings (sans Schaller) really helped develop the team become a wild card contender (also the western conference being terrible this year helps). 

However, who knows? We'll never know what happened behind closed doors but I can say for certain that the ship is being steered well by Benning and co.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

As the president? No. As a player? YES! ::D

We still don't know what really happened. As noted by others, the rumour was that Linden favoured a more patient rebuild, and a lot of the media and the fanbase sided with Linden. I think that one side effect was that both Benning and Aquilini have become very sensitive to the criticism of being too impatient and have bent over backwards to emphasize patience. Aquilini has probably mentioned patience more in the time since Linden left than in the previous three years combined. And so has Benning. So I give Linden some credit for the team's current trajectory.

One minor point is that Linden allegedly favoured Quinn Huighes staying at Michigan for this year, which I think was the right call.

One interpretation is that Linden took one for the team. By getting into an argument with Aquilini over patience I think he bought Benning extra time and had an impact on the Aquilini's thinking. And let's not forget that Linden allegedly went out on a limb to get Benning re-signed shortly before the blow-up with Aquilini. .

Also, Linden hired not just Benning but also was responsible for restructuring much of the management, and the guys he hired and promoted have generally been very good.

Linden was a courageious and unselfish player..  (Remember his giving up the C when Messier was signed.) While the Sedins are the best Canuck players of all time they had each other for support and had a better supporting cast overall. Linden had less to work with and still took the team to the SCF. He remains my favourite all-time Canuck player. I think he was also a courageous and unselfish team President. If the Canucks do ever win a Cup I hope that Linden is brought back in some capacity (like Adivsor) to share the moment. He deserves it.

image.png.4b2858e33bc6193fffc3f2d44e2307b4.png

Trev was in a thankless job, and many on here were dumping on him for no reason.

I think Trev was fed up with taking crap from the haters, and just wanted to be with his son, and be a Dad.

He is doing just fine in business on his own. I think he just wanted to enjoy his life again, without the day to day grind of helping run a hockey club.

He did what he needed to do. Take some of the pressure off Benning.

I'd prefer Trev to Weisbrod. And I hope by next year they will appoint a better AGM.

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

He was my second favorite Canuck after Henrik Sedin but as president not at all. After he left everything seemed to calm down and everyone seems to be on the same page now. He did do some good things like cleaning house at the beginning (coaches etc) and hiring Jim Benning so for that he deserves credit. 

After he left Pettersson proceeded to change everything.  If he stayed he would have been part of that success just as much as the next guy in the organization if not more given the stupid media stuff has calmed way down, actually turned a 180 on them (negative-positive).   That and Markstrom pulling in his inner Hasek.   Sure the signings helped too.  

Anyone who was around when he was drafted and lived through the heartbreak with him, from losing in the final to Messier coming to town and throwing a hand grenade in the dressing room (all Linden backers were sent packing) which didn’t take long to see him on the trade block.  So I question how he’s your second favourite Canuck, but yet you are happy to see him gone as President?

I said it before, he was hired to placate us fans during a rebuild, becuase his goodwill was so good with us.  He took a beating for us, took one for the team and yet some fans can’t help but rip on him anyways.  He took it seriously, worked diligently to oversee the foolhardy re-tool which was Bennings sales pitch when he got the job, towed the line right until the end.  Don’t understand why that merits any sort of vilification.  Glad he’s gone because we don’t deserve him right now, he had every single player on his teams backs his entire career, and every single player for that matter as president of the NHLPA, why should we as fans not provide the same courtesy?  We don’t have any real data as to what the issue was in the first place, just guessing and speculation about his sudden departure, after just re-signing Benning.  Probably had enough of the bs is my guess...and I speculate that he’s enjoying every minute out of the spotlight and having his goodwill get attacked by his own fanbase and media.  For that reason I’m happy to see him gone (for now), when there is a tell all in the future 

1 hour ago, Toni Zamboni said:

we are doing well this year, so i think it was for the best that Trev and the Nux parted ways.

We aren’t doing well because he left.  We are going well because of TG and EP and Markstrom.  Might as well just blame the Sedins, they are gone and now we are doing great. 

I miss Trevor the player for sure. He

was the heart and soul of the Canucks for years and even relinquished the “C” when that puke Messier arrived. 

As president, I don’t. Don’t think he

could handle the stress. We will likely never know what transpired behind the scenes that led him to resign, but it was for the best for both sides.

He will always be a hero in our franchise and the province of BC, and he deserves to spend his retirement in peace. 

I wonder about what's next between the Canucks and Linden and Linden with hockey in general.

There was a mini-feud when MG took over, and it took years for that to be repaired.  

Trevor is a legend in these parts.... but his role with the lockout in 05 probably lost him a lot of friends in the rest of the NHL.  

Either than showing up at special events like retirement ceremonies, and maybe as some Canucks ambassador (if he even wants to help out the Canucks anymore), maybe Linden's role with the Canucks is forever gone.  

@IBatch Yes that is correct about loving the player but not as President. I am aware of all he did as a player, I wish he would have stood up to that jerk Mesier and told him he was the captain. I could hardly stand to listen to his interviews since he came across as being fake, I do like Benning who comes off as being down to earth.

how about if we don't live in the past

the past is nice to reminisce about

but we are no longer there

so let's not try to be there

linden was a fine player

a bit green as a management player

but had loads of integrity

sedins.. .awesome. .hall of famers.. but please no repeats

burrows was good.. but did we really need him ? :P

i am very happy with the new and developing core

ep40 - any day, all day, any time, super special, possibly best canuck ever. .time will tell, an absolute alien

brock.. yes.. quality talent

bo . .yes . a complete player, apparent leadership

hughes.. .. i'm definitely thinking he is a player

demko. nice development path

and then the rest.. quality . some will realize their potential. .some won't... dahlen, joulevi, woo, gaudette, linden, gadjovich.. well you all know the list

good prospect pool and more to come with the 2019 entry draft

i'm liking the present and future

seems a bit more alive then the past

certainly way more potential

the past is already realized

so have a good  day

don't spent too much time on the past ok

it's done, you can't change it

Archived