The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have TWO Second Line Centers... Horvat and Gaudette

*Buzzsaw*

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tonight was Adam Gaudette's 'I'm gonna show you my stuff' party...  he showed what his potential ceiling is.

Great hustle, great playmaking, great shooting.

The stay in Utica and playing on the first line there has done a world of good for his confidence and offensive instincts.

What we are seeing is a player who is a clinch to be the Canuck's 3rd line center... but I'm betting he can be a player who can score and put up points like a 2nd line center.

I am not a guy who has dissed Sutter at any point, I think he is a valuable hockey player... but right now Gaudette is showing the team Sutter could be traded this summer.  Keep Beagle, he is the ideal 4th line center.  Maybe we can get a good scoring winger for Sutter.

Another tip of the hat to Jim Benning... yeah he slipped on a banana a bit with the goalie situation in the last week, but overall you have to like his instincts for picking winners in the draft.

And Gaudette is a winner... he will be playing for the Canucks for a long time.

With Gaudette showing what he can do, the Canucks are looking to be one the strongest teams in the league in the center position in the next few years... which is HUGE.

Been saying this all season? He played under 11 mins...

We need to trade Sutter to make room for Gaudette... 

Really hope Jim can move Sutter ad trade deadline..

Don't think he will get big return like Canuck fans think?

Sutter = retain 800,000 of salary to contending cap team----- 2nd rounder and prospect in return...

Tanev --- Return --- young D man and 2nd rounder

Goldy ----- Young D man in return

Schaller ----- 6th rounder ==No room for this guy-- ====MacEwen 6'4, plays better and will fill spot

This Canuck team don't give up...So exciting to watch..

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Its not just the total travel miles but the type of travel vs games they're dealt which imo has WAY more impact on potential injury issues. 

I wish I could find a better source for this graph but it still conveys the issue - the league screwed us yet again in the scheduling despite the recent suggestion in sports media that we have an easier schedule since the all-star break.  We play way more rested teams and play teams after we have little rest than any other team.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-18-19-schedule-tired-rested-games.2516113/

Wow, thats an eye opener. And hockey operations are fully aware of this. Are the same teams favoured the same in past years? Do the Canucks play the rested teams while tired on back to backs as a norm?

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Been saying this all season? He played under 11 mins...

We need to trade Sutter to make room for Gaudette... 

Really hope Jim can move Sutter ad trade deadline..

Don't think he will get big return like Canuck fans think?

Sutter = retain 800,000 of salary to contending cap team----- 2nd rounder and prospect in return...

Tanev --- Return --- young D man and 2nd rounder

Goldy ----- Young D man in return

Schaller ----- 6th rounder ==No room for this guy-- ====MacEwen 6'4, plays better and will fill spot

This Canuck team don't give up...So exciting to watch..

This is not the trade deadline to get excited about:

Sutter is playing with 1 good shoulder and now a groin injury, he's not going anywhere at the TDL. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they shut him down for the year next week. 

Jim has said he's not going to move Edler or Tanev.

Goldy isn't going to get you a quality young d in return right now.

Schaller? I could actually see him put on waivers before the TDL to see if anyone takes him for free. 

Gaudette, excellent trade bait if packaged for a top dman, say Trouba or one Peg's others. Some teams seem to be able o draft dmen that step right into the league after being drafted and make a difference.

Lots of other younger centers that maybe in his class, Lind, Osavitch (C/W) other picks/prospects) future draft pick.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The irony is prior to playing in Vancouver Sutter hardly ever got injured. 

Once again, I am questioning the Canucks medical staff, and trainers. Because the usual grocery list of injuries each year, should trigger someone looking into this. 

Teams like San Jose, LA, and Arizona has just as much travel. Do they have the same level of injuries we get? 

I have been thinking this for years. There is a significant difference in quality of training and medical staff across all sports. Some teams tend to get way more injuries than others. I firmly believe the Canucks medical and training staff is less than mediocre when it comes to preventing and treating injuries.

As we all likely know from personal experience, the quality of training and help in recovering from injury can vary wildly from practitioner to practitioner. The Canucks would probably benefit from a new approach. After all, Roger Takahashi has been the strength and conditioning coach for 16 years with this team. I'm sure he's a great fella but maybe it's time for a change.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is not the trade deadline to get excited about:

Sutter is playing with 1 good shoulder and now a groin injury, he's not going anywhere at the TDL. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they shut him down for the year next week. 

Jim has said he's not going to move Edler or Tanev.

Goldy isn't going to get you a quality young d in return right now.

Schaller? I could actually see him put on waivers before the TDL to see if anyone takes him for free. 

Trade Sutter when he is healthy...Young guys Gaudette is a big up grade on Sutter...Retain money anything time to move on Sutter..

Fine with Schaller waiver ...

Goldy -- Young D prospect with potential like Goldy .... Goldy does have potential, maybe a new team might do this? Sometimes players need a change..

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Once again, I am questioning the Canucks medical staff, and trainers. Because the usual grocery list of injuries each year, should trigger someone looking into this. 

Teams like San Jose, LA, and Arizona has just as much travel. Do they have the same level of injuries we get? 

Whole lot of factors IMO. One, you have to take quality of team in to consideration. Sutter's had 1-2 (hard) minutes more ATOI here than in PIT/CAR and with less help around him/arguably harder assignments due to it (no Crosby/Malkin to take on some of the match up load against other team's top lines). Then there's the added factor that poorer teams (which we've been) tend to have the puck less which means more chasing, even harder minutes, more grind on the body, more tired to make mental mistakes/over exert yourself etc, etc.

Then there's the travel/schedule issues noted above by @Fanuck, at least somewhat dictated by our geography (though the NHL could certainly do more to help minimize that...).

Some plain bad luck as well.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So are you suggesting that the Canucks medical staff is directly responsible for Sutter's groin problem?  ^_^

54 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Trade Sutter when he is healthy...Young guys Gaudette is a big up grade on Sutter...Retain money anything time to move on Sutter..

Fine with Schaller waiver ...

Goldy -- Young D prospect with potential like Goldy .... Goldy does have potential, maybe a new team might do this? Sometimes players need a change..

to me Sutter is a guy a bit like Tanev, worth more to us in a youth development phase than he is on the open market. I'd prefer to have Sutter and Gaudette together so AG can learn all he can from Sutsy.

Classic CDC. One good game and the guy is automatically an elite second line center. Gaudette has had maybe 4 good games all year, 3 being in his last 3 and hopefully he keeps that trend going but come on. This was the first game he had where he looked overall complete. He's trending upwards hopefully be let's just keep the expectations tempered. 

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

No kidding

It's one &^@#ing game. Horvat took years to show he belonged

And Horvat honestly still has a way to go defensively. Still only 23 and should shore up his defensive errors over time. 

Gaudette looks nice right now but still too early to tell. Promising game yesterday and it felt nice to get some production out of a center not named Petey or Bo, but a ways to go to pencil him in as a 'second line center'. He now has 5 points in his last 10 games playing less than 10 minutes per game.

Archived