The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

If that’s the trade it has to be lottery protected god top 5 protected if possible and include an extension because if next offseason if Barrie hits free agency, Virtanen scores 20 goals and we have a lottery pick we are all going to die.

and I am a HUGE Barrie fan.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Losing With Pride said:

I understand your frustration, but I would much rather be patient and continue to re-stock the cupboard.  As opposed to making the playoffs and losing in the first, maybe second round.

We have a good start to our core but need some more strong pieces to have a Stanley Cup Contender.

You don’t understand though. Edmonton has floundered for years penning their hopes and dreams that all their 1st roundpicks would form this new super team and they would relive the 80’s. Well now they are in rebuild 4.0. 

The canucks are in a spot where they need to start getting exposure to big, meaningful games for the young guys so they learn what it take to win. The Blues finally broke through after a decade of trying. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As talented as Barrie is. We already have a star puck moving PPQB in our system. And since we have Brock and EP as trigger men on opposite sides it leave only one spot open. Hughes should be that guy. 

Id rather spend that type of value on a player who can fill holes in our line up.

Can never have too many defensemen, especially ones of Barrie’s calibre. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Trust me I’m on the same page as you with regards to size.

I know.

The Blues blew a huge hole in the theory that so many have tried floating, that the league is becoming a speed and skill over size league. Benning's been talking about that and needs to deliver. He needs to give Elias, Brock, and Quinn some insulation, bodyguards that take their job seriously (hoping Schenn is back, as he took it very seriously).

And trading for a player who is 27 and on the verge of being a UFA next season (and expecting a huge payday), by offering up a young promising player (both Virtanen and Stecher provide more pushback than Barrie ever could) and a 1st round pick is not smart.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Me_ said:

It’s not a love affair. It’s the Neelyfright.

For me, I just want the Nucks to be the fastest team in the league...

Trading away our outright fastest skater is counter to that goal.

I just want to see what Jake can do with fast puckmoving D-men feeding him. He's one guy I wouldn't mind seeing cherry-pick a little bit.

I have not been overly impressed with him so far overall, but his raw abilities have proven fruitful in short bursts. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I can see Benning moving Stecher if this trade goes down. 

Cannot help but wonder how that might affect BB6 since they are like brothers. He is a professional for sure, but as a human being I am sure it would not be a positive towards him signing an extension here. Damnit now I am turning into these worried peeps! :sadno:

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So if this is the trade, how does Vancouver deal with the fact that it, once again, is getting smaller, and less physical?

Certainly Barrie is a talented puck-moving defenseman, but he's pretty small, and having a defense with him, Stecher, and Hughes, while exciting from a offensive perspective, would get manhandled.

that's why I don't buy that, JB has said they need to get bigger nd more physical.........that deal is the complete opposite of that.  Not to mention, it's overpayment.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Elite puckmovers on 2 lines and both powerplays. Yes please. Only means more offensive oppurtunities for our forwards and less time in our own zone. 

That is true. It also means, that if the Canucks get into the playoffs and get the Blues in the first round, both Barrie and Hughes will get a game in each before getting injured.

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As talented as Barrie is. We already have a star puck moving PPQB in our system. And since we have Brock and EP as trigger men on opposite sides it leave only one spot open. Hughes should be that guy. 

Id rather spend that type of value on a player who can fill holes in our line up.

Can you truly say that Hughes is a star in such a small sample size? Not trying to be a naysayer, but the only star we have is EP40. He is projected to that, but so was Radek Bonk and Alex Daigle. We know what Barrie is and that is a bonafide 1-2 dman. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Can you truly say that Hughes is a star in such a small sample size? Not trying to be a naysayer, but the only star we have is EP40. He is projected to that, but so was Radek Bonk and Alex Daigle. We know what Barrie is and that is a bonafide 1-2 dman. 

I agree, we don't know, yet, what QH is going to be.  That said, no way would I do Jake and a first for Barrie

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 2