The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

My dad took me to the first ever Canucks game, I have been a fan since day one, I’m just going with historical odds.

:metal:, I understand: being a long time fan myself as well, hopefully with this core the wait wont be long .....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Boeser reacted well to being demoted and I liked Virtanen being promoted. Props to Green tonight. 

Eh and Markstrom was a beast. No contest first star. 

Boeser is playing good hockey, getting all the chances, just can’t seem to finish right now. His shot really does seem off.

Markstrom: :emot-parrot:

Pettersson: B)

Everyone else: :frantic:

I kid, but we got 2 points tonight when most of our conference rivals didn’t get any. The only points gotten were by inter conference games where one team has to win with no extra points all ending in regulation and the Flames beating Toronto. These kinds of wins can be the difference maker in deciding which teams make the post season. We also have won 6/8 possible points in the last 4 games. Thank you Marky! Oh and anyone still talking about trading him is out to lunch, we need him.

Vancouver won

Nashville lost

Winnipeg lost

Las Vegas lost

Edmonton lost

Minnesota won

Flames won

Arizona won

Chicago lost

LA won

Anaheim lost

San Jose lost

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Boeser is playing good hockey, getting all the chances, just can’t seem to finish right now. His shot really does seem off.

He has changed his wrist shot the last year and half or so.  Last year he started using a slapper for the shots from the high half wall.  This year it’s mostly wristers but it doesn’t pack the zip it did when he first joined the team.  I haven’t compared video but I seem to remember  where Brock would bring the puck pretty close to his body to shoot compared to now and it messed with the goalies pretty good.  It may have been a decision that his wrist can’t hold up over 82 games to his old shooting technique and they had to adjust

• Upvote 2

Brock played well after being dropped down to Gaudette's line, he definitely earned his OT ice. Moving Jake up with Petey and Miller worked tactically as well, Jake doesn't have the hockey sense to play the possession game with those 2 but his speed creates so much room for them and they didn't seem to get stuck in the d zone like they do with Boeser. 

Edited by hlinkas wrister
  • Upvote 3

That was the goaltending duel I've wanted to see Markstrom win since he became a Canuck.

I wasn't sure if he'd ever be able to do it because he's never been a "shutout-goalie", but he showed me! Tied for second place in Canuck history with Cory Schneider in saves (43) for a shutout. 

Kirk McLean remains in first with 46.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Yep I buy $&!# drink

CF17CCA8-4C46-4125-A5F4-FC2DF07E7E95.jpeg

OMG how lucky are YOU!!!!  Wow, I'm going to get me a Petey jersey after the vet bills and Christmas and the car windshield and....   By the time he retires, I'll have one!

Really nice pick up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, J-23 said:

Marky carried us.

Those glove saves Markstrom made were scary...

The goalie was swallowing so many pucks that at one point late in the period, the disc actually disappeared down the back of Markstrom’s jersey, which led to a comical search for the puck while some disbelieving Carolina players started looking in the Vancouver net for it until shooed away by Canucks’ Jay Beagle. quote from Sportsnet.

Watching Canucks hockey really winds me up, I watched the first part of the Flames-Leafs game...I was just an observer

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Brock played well after being dropped down to Gaudette's line, he definitely earned his OT ice. Moving Jake up with Petey and Miller worked tactically as well, Jake doesn't have the hockey sense to play the possession game with those 2 but his speed creates so much room for them and they didn't seem to get stuck in the d zone like they do with Boeser. 

Bringing the puck in close shouldn't hurt his wrist, after watching him and trying it...it's an amazing way to shoot, completely make the angle for goalies a guessing game and gets your stick flexing a lot more, probably why he broke mcquaid's leg with a wrist shot.

Great game from Marky.  He did to Carolina what the Toronto goalie did to the Canucks.  Virtanen has speed.  Generally speaking the Canucks are not a speedy team.  Carolina and Toronto both have several players with 'above average' speed.  It helps at both ends of the ice.  So without that speed Vancouver has to try and play a different style of game.  Do any of our prospects have above average speed?  

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i hope someday, the canucks can play carolina kind of hockey. i guess we need different kinds of players. the boys were trying, they were just outplayed by a better team. 

we did in the 3rd, that was a heck of a period for us. Marky was phenomenal but if he's going to have "#1" goalie status then he needs to do that occasionally. Nice to see that he can.