The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Taylor Hall, Blake Speers to Coyotes for Kevin Bahl, Nick Merkley, Nate Schnarr, 2020 1st-round pick, conditional 2021 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

- I am philosophically against the Miller trade because the core players are still too young to lead this team

- I thought the Miller trade was somewhat of an over payment considering the situation Tampa was in, but this is difficult to judge as I did not know how many teams for vying for Miller at the time

- It is too early to call this season off, if other teams can have an amazing win streak to come back from the dead, this team can as well

Arizona overpaid for Hall. Miller is younger, more physical, can play centre, can kill penalties and is locked into a decent contract. Hall is injury prone and in certain aspects one-dimensional. Worst of all Hall is merely a rental at this point.  

Shouldn't that make you for the Miller trade... since Miller can shoulder some of the leadership responsibilities that the young core is not ready for?

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Shouldn't that make you for the Miller trade... since Miller can shoulder some of the leadership responsibilities that the young core is not ready for?

You have a good point. However, what I meant is that the core should not be regarded as complete. More pieces need to be added. While I philosophically wish the team to tank and get 1st overall picks every year, I appreciate J.B.'s perspective that once a losing culture and bad habits set in, they may ruin the core players. While I disagreed with J.B. on many occasions, I find myself defending him in this forum because his critics are too harsh and they believe in magic and unicorns. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Miller has 4 years @ 5.25 mill  and he's 26 yrs old, in his prime.

Hall is 28 Nd UFA at end of season.. IF he signs he'll get 9 mill per year 8 years..

It'll be an albatross contract for last 3 years...

Miller trade has been great for Canucks. Great value great player. Can't ask for anything better..

Arizona made this trade relatively earlier in this season, this gives Hall more time to learn the system and build chemistry with line mates.

Hall has no more excuses now. This is his contract year and he must perform. The pressure is now on him. Watch out!

9 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

My biases:

- I am philosophically against the Miller trade because the core players are still too young to lead this team

- I thought the Miller trade was somewhat of an over payment considering the situation Tampa was in, but this is difficult to judge as I did not know how many teams for vying for Miller at the time

- It is too early to call this season off, if other teams can have an amazing win streak to come back from the dead, this team can as well

My opinion:

Arizona overpaid for Hall. Miller is younger, more physical, can play centre, can kill penalties and is locked into a decent contract. Hall is injury prone and in certain aspects one-dimensional. Worst of all Hall is merely a rental at this point.  

The Hall trade makes the Miller trade look great. Miller is only two years older than Horvat. The Canucks gave up that first but it will slide to next season if they miss the playoffs. Thats a long time for TB to wait for their returns on the trade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

You have a good point. However, what I meant is that the core should not be regarded as complete. More pieces need to be added. While I philosophically wish the team to tank and get 1st overall picks every year, I appreciate J.B.'s perspective that once a losing culture and bad habits set in, they may ruin the core players. While I disagreed with J.B. on many occasions, I find myself defending him in this forum because his critics are too harsh and they believe in magic and unicorns. 

maybe miller is a core piece who will make the core more complete???

i think that is in fact the case

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

another point

why is everyone concerned about arizona getting better by this trade ?

i doubt it is a franchise changing move, just a talented piece for them

will arizona pass us in the standings? um no, they are already ahead of us

will nucks likely get past the 1st round if they make the playoffs?  we can always hope and dream, but this year is a success if they make the playoffs and the young talent gets exposed to playoff hockey

i'd be more concerned if a team just ahead of us or just behind us in the standings made a biggish move

yotes improving when they are above us in the standings does little to canucks chances of making the playoffs

Thats a huge return for a ufa that likely wont resign. 

Way to go all in with a pair of tens there chayka chatka choochoo whatever, bettmans lapdog is who is pretending to run the leagues money sink team. 

Good thing is, there are no coyote fans to dig their jowls into this little franchise dooming blunder. 

*didnt they play this card already by paying to get Kessel?

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

Arizona plays a tight system that doesn’t pad a players stats. Is Hall ready for a defence first role or is something going to change in the way Tocchet has the team play? Phil Kessel is having his worst season ever. Maybe more fans will come out , but I don’t think it’s going to matter much for team success.

New Jersey really wanted Bahl, that’s a big kid on left D.

Not too bad a deal for both sides..

Basically NJD got 

Bahl = ARZ's 4th or 5th best prospect

1st = this pick is top 3 lottery protected.

3rd

Similar to what JB paid for Miller but Bahl is better prospect..he'll likely be an NHLer , perhaps 3rd pair D in 5 years.. 

If Hall re signs in ARZ

Bahl

1st 

2nd

If Hall re signs and ARZ win a round of playoffs 

Bahl 

1st

1st

Merkley and Schnarr are AHLers. Likely be bubble players get the odd call up when fully developed. 

Shero better hope Hall re signs with and ARZ win a round in playoffs so he can cash in that conditional 1st.. otherwise this isn't a huge return for Hall.. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

ARZ has been the front runner all week to land Hall..

They were haggling over Kevin Bahl. Big 6'6 230lbs Dman . ARZ 2nd round pick in 2018 playing in CHL OTT right now...

ARZ already a good team just got better. Hall will play well, he wants to play in playoffs and he's UFA end of season. Lots of motivation for him to perform..

Wow.. almost didn't believe you.. that's a big body gentlemen.

19 years old

6"6

230 ibs

How big will he fill out to ?  I guess he is like our Nikita Tryamkin 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not too bad a deal for both sides..

Basically NJD got 

Bahl NJD 4th or 5th best prospect

1st 

3rd

If Hall re signs 8n ARZ

Bahl

1st 

2nd

If Hall re signs and ARZ win a round of playoffs 

Bahl 

1st

1st

Merkley and Schnarr are AHLers. Likely be bubble players get the odd call up when fully developed. 

that last scenario is a big overpayment imo. AZ is also currently at almost 76 mil for cap space for next year.... they are going to have to move someone and not be able to improve in any other area. 

Hall needs to be an 90+ pt player to make this worthwhile. 

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Well Canucks can kiss their playoff chances goodbye now.  Vegas, San Jose finding their stride again, Yotes solidifying strong team, Edmonton hanging to dear life onto McDavid and Draisaitl, Flames finding their legs as well.

LOL, I guess a 1 game winning streak means hitting your stride.   Then, all the Canucks needs to do is win their nexct game and they'll be hitting their stride also. :picard:

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Hall going to zona is not good for us if he bolsters there scoring more and fits in well thats just another team in the west that got better rental or not 

I think it might be. I think this team still needs one more year of no playoffs to reap a high draft pick. They can get it this year and then next year have to make playoffs or it will be insanely embarrassing for Benning/beneficial for Tampa. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that last scenario is a big overpayment imo. AZ is also currently at almost 76 mil for cap space for next year.... they are going to have to move someone and not be able to improve in any other area. 

Hall needs to be an 90+ pt player to make this worthwhile. 

I doubt both those conditions are met for the 3rd to turn into 1st.. ARZ won't mind at all if they can win a round and Hall re signs.. they'd love to bring in 2 rounds of playoff revenue plus re sign Hall. That'll be easily worth the additional 1st for them..icing on the cake..

ARZ plays a trap system. 90 Pts will be difficult on that team. PPG will be great if he can manage that.