The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sharks @ Nucks - Jan 18 2020 - 7pm - HNIC

Rate this topic

xereau

Quinn Hughes comparable?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, xereau said:

Added a poll for some Quinn discussion.

The kid is amazing man.

The way he directs the play nearly every single time he touches the puck, is very special to see.

I am not sure what his ceiling is, but his game IQ is off the charts.

Who is going to be his long term D partner?

We are incredibly blessed to have a player who is essentially Patrick Kane talent wise, who can also play D.

Quinn / Dumba would be a pairing to behold. <-- please make this happen, Mr. Benning!

No, easily out muscled in the d end.

Hughes / Pietrangelo and it only costs cap money.

11 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. And when I played hockey, the only thing that mattered to me was just DOMINATE. 

If you're doing that every shift, you're taking care of business. 

That's all I want from any of our players. EFFORT. 

There's enough talent on this team. What we have to strive for is the will to win. 

In the wisest of wise words by the immortal Stompin Tom:

To dominate at the NHL level, you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when you skate away, know when to run n gun.

Spoiler

No he didn't.

Mix it up, changing pace is what matters.  You can lull a team for half a period, to take some time to recover from your previous push.You pace them down, and then send out your explosive guys. Full game strategy involves energy conservation as much as it does putting the pedal to the metal. Also, its a grinding season at 82 games, you get duds because guys simply cant go insanely hard all the time, they are just meat bags like you and me. Their bodies get beat down, badly.

I hear ya though, I'd like to see more puck pressure in our D zone specifically. Our forecheck and puck recovery along the boards is pretty decent up ice.  Down ice is another story. Mix it up some, by taking the man when it's available when defending, and, pick a board, and don't let the puck pass on it. Forcing the puck to one side of the 5 man collapse will increase the power of the collapse system because teams for obvious reasons. When the teams ring the puck around the 5 man unit, I always say, "Uh oh".

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Surprised it’s not 2 Sharks and their equipment manager. 

oh come now after hours is hosted by Ron McLean 2.0 

"So tell me Quinn, your mothers great aunt Martha suffered from depression, tell us how that has affected your family?"

• Haha 1

Just now, lmm said:

oh come now after hours is hosted by Ron McLean 2.0 

"So tell me Quinn, your mothers great aunt Martha suffered from depression, tell us how that has affected your family?"

Let's talk about Quinn's dad, and how he produced two super star sons, and another that's about to be drafted.

He clearly had a big part in their development, and I wonder what he is doing now?

12 minutes ago, xereau said:

In the wisest of wise words by the immortal Kenny Rogers:

To dominate at the NHL level, you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when you skate away, know when to run n gun.

Mix it up, changing pace is what matters.  You can lull a team for half a period, to take some time to recover from your previous push.You pace them down, and then send out your explosive guys. Full game strategy involves energy conservation as much as it does putting the pedal to the metal. Also, its a grinding season at 82 games, you get duds because guys simply cant go insanely hard all the time, they are just meat bags like you and me. Their bodies get beat down, badly.

I hear ya though, I'd like to see more puck pressure in our D zone specifically. Our forecheck and puck recovery along the boards is pretty decent up ice.  Down ice is another story. Mix it up some, by taking the man when it's available when defending, and, pick a board, and don't let the puck pass on it. Forcing the puck to one side of the 5 man collapse will increase the power of the collapse system because teams for obvious reasons. When the teams ring the puck around the 5 man unit, I always say, "Uh oh".

An interesting topic which can get very complicated. I have always found it hard to see a guy making millions of dollars playing a game he loves "conserving energy" or not giving 110% during a regular season game. A lot of players simply do not play if they are not healthy so a guy should not use that as an excuse not to try his hardest for his entire shift. I remember playing sports full bore just because I wanted to win. Getting paid fistfuls of money would just add that much more incentive.

Playoffs are altogether different as they are not playing for the money anymore. Therefore, the true guys playing for the love of the game will come to the forefront.

Trevor Linden is a great example of a guy who never played the game for the money, I am hoping we have a few guys on this team with the same character and the playoffs should give us a good indication. Petey and Hughes are the guys I see closest to having that same character and I hope we see more as this team continues to develop.

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

Boeser does not belong on the third line, 

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed, hopefully its a showcasing stint for LE and we can deal him to another team, that is my hope anyway

I would say the team is trying to create a more balance attack and will use him on the 1st or 3rd line depending the game and situation. When the Penguins won the cup, elite sniper Kessel was on their 3rd line and that HBK was arguably their best line. It’s not like Boeser on our 3rd line is playing with plugs. He can help potentially elevate Gaudette’s game to another level.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Well the Sens did their job today and took care of the flames, now it is up to the Nucks to go into the break with a win and sit atop of the division. Need another solid 60 and for Demko to be on his game, hopefully the Nucks can keep their home streak going. 4-2 Nucks.....GCG

• Upvote 1