The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, The.Burrowers said:

is that your way of deflecting your own ignorance? you made a fool of yourself. Pull your big boy pants up and admit you made a mistake, instead of patronizing other people telling them to go look things up when its you that are the one that is misinformed

HE DID IT TWICE!!!!!! ..... uh oh, wrong.

It’s going to be okay. I promise. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

Quinn Hughes didn't prove anything in the NHL by last year's trade deadline. Should we have dealt him for Toffoli? 

Just an FYI, Toffoli has proven "everything" once. He wasn't on the 2012 cup winning team. 

He's also not a "heavy" player. He's 6'0 197 lbs. He hasn't surpassed 40 hits in the past 2 seasons. 

Trading a top-end prospect for a 3 month rental is a great idea if you are a contending team, not a bubble team. If this trade was made in 2021 or 2022, it would be a completely different story.

For the questions regarding positioning, either Madden or Gaudette would've fit well on the wing. And regarding his size, the two best players on the team are both under 180 lbs, so size isn't as big of a deal in the modern NHL.

The Kings killed this trade, and it's going to suck playing against Madden for the next 10+ years. 

Yup.  JB is selling the future.  It started with the Miller trade and continued now. He thinks our young core is ready to compete for s cup, and he’s wrong.  These trades are too soon.  

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

Quinn Hughes didn't prove anything in the NHL by last year's trade deadline. Should we have dealt him for Toffoli? 

Just an FYI, Toffoli has proven "everything" once. He wasn't on the 2012 cup winning team. 

He's also not a "heavy" player. He's 6'0 197 lbs. He hasn't surpassed 40 hits in the past 2 seasons. 

Trading a top-end prospect for a 3 month rental is a great idea if you are a contending team, not a bubble team. If this trade was made in 2021 or 2022, it would be a completely different story.

For the questions regarding positioning, either Madden or Gaudette would've fit well on the wing. And regarding his size, the two best players on the team are both under 180 lbs, so size isn't as big of a deal in the modern NHL.

The Kings killed this trade, and it's going to suck playing against Madden for the next 10+ years. 

A lot of assumptions were made in this post.

A lot of quotable assumptions that may or may not be sig worthy.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

If Benning can trade Sutter and use the money to keep Toffoli, this team will be a lot harder to beat next year.

Again with the Sutter critics.

That guy is worth every penny he's paid. 

Up and down the line up.

Arguably the most respected and vocal leader on the team.

Great penalty killer.

Wins tonnes of face offs.

Physical.

200 ft. player.

On and on.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They could be kind of banking on Tryamkin coming back and hopefully being good.

Get the sense that maybe management sees Tryamkin as Tanev’s replacement? Not as good but better than nothing. LOL 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They could be kind of banking on Tryamkin coming back and hopefully being good.

His mere size and reach are huge pluses, he would rag doll Josh Manson. He did that alot when here before, not fighting but imposing himself on players.

He plays and skates in Europe, he was one of the fastest skaters with the team before, he plays left and right, played on the PK and he is content to be a defensive player. Oh and he is only 25.

His agent was in town, there is no rule that states he could have negotiated a deal, used to happen all the time before FA day, July 1, so they could have a deal all done and they will know when he can be signed to fit under the cap.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I know. The dude is tiny though. 

Today’s NHL is a skilled mans game. There are a lot of great small guys in this league. I for one am okay with this trade I’m just trying to get the point across that centres can also play wing lol. Or that just because people think Podz and Hogs are slated ahead no prospect is a sure thing. Madden very well could become the best player of the 3. This is what you get with great drafting we’re hitting on 3rd rounders and flipping them for playoff pieces. 

So a poster on Reddit proposed a Madden for Toffoli straight up deal 51 days ago, and got downvoted so much he deleted his topic.

Now majority think it was a fantastic trade despite having to give up even more assets. Toffoli is already one of my favorite players, but this is groupthink at its finest.

• Like 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Today’s NHL is a skilled mans game. There are a lot of great small guys in this league. I for one am okay with this trade I’m just trying to get the point across that centres can also play wing lol. Or that just because people think Podz and Hogs are slated ahead no prospect is a sure thing. Madden very well could become the best player of the 3. This is what you get with great drafting we’re hitting on 3rd rounders and flipping them for playoff pieces. 

Say that to the St Louis Blues who just won a cup based on size and grit. Some people man...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

What are you talking about? He’s not even 27 yet and the Canucks will be entering that window as early as next year barring a few more moves. Miller drives the play on the first line more often than not and never takes a night off. He’s an integral part of the core moving forwards. Put the sauce down for the evening bro. 

YES!!!

Possibly my fave Canuck this year after Huggy.

Hasn't taken a night off all year.

He is what I'm praying Virtanen turns into.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

A lot of assumptions were made in this post.

A lot of quotable assumptions that may or may not be sig worthy.

There are quite a few assumptions being made on both sides. I sprinkled in some facts in there as well. You can quote anything if you like.