The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] - NHL plan for the season

Rate this topic

Me_

I think this is fairly realistic. They don't have a whole lot of options right now.

Can't imagine them not finding a way to present the cup at least this year. I still think they will reduce this season schedule to something between 74 and 76 games to accommodate 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

72ish games next season. Start November/December. Makes some sense. 

I think that's a good idea, but I don't think the NHLPA would agree to shortening the season because the owners would argue, and probably correctly, that they aren't going to pay 82 game salary costs for a 72 game schedule. They would probably want to cut salaries by 12-14% because revenue would be down that much. Or more. Remember: for us, it is a game, for the players and owners it is a business, and money is the driver.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think that's a good idea, but I don't think the NHLPA would agree to shortening the season because the owners would argue, and probably correctly, that they aren't going to pay 82 game salary costs for a 72 game schedule. They would probably want to cut salaries by 12-14% because revenue would be down that much. Or more. Remember: for us, it is a game, for the players and owners it is a business, and money is the driver.

Given the reasoning behind the shortened season would be nice to see some humanity from both sides regarding a shortened season. Probably too much to ask. Lol.

• Cheers 2

I think it's better to have a shortened season for 2020-21 but if the players and the owners insist on playing a full season of 82 games, then I'm not against it. The team with the best depth will win the cup.

I’ve been thinking if they want to have a full 82 game 2020-21 season then they’ll have to implement 3 games in 3 nights fairly often to be able to make it work. I know that’s a lot in a shortened amount of time, but I can’t see them shortening the length of the season. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’ve been thinking if they want to have a full 82 game 2020-21 season then they’ll have to implement 3 games in 3 nights fairly often to be able to make it work. I know that’s a lot in a shortened amount of time, but I can’t see them shortening the length of the season. 

I think it would just be better to do more divisional games. Have back to back divisional games so there is a lot less travel between games. Just go back to you play the eastern teams once home or away for the next season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Seasons starts late next season and ends a bit later too. Early November-Late April.

Ease players back into a regular schedule the following year. 

Lebrun is saying exactly what you’re suggesting.  Complete this season late summer, or even early fall.  Then still play 82 games next season, but compress the schedule.  Maybe no Allstar game, and that week off for starters? 

Aren't some outlets reporting that travel bans and large group gathering restrictions will possibly still be in effect into July/Aug?   

Isn't it WAY too early to be thinking of resuming the schedule?   

I get it, people want their hockey - I do too - , and its always good to have some sort of plan - but I heard one infectious disease expert describe our time frame as "just the very end of the beginning' with unknown months to go yet?  

Sorry for being a downer everyone - haven't left house in 5 days....cabin fever definitely setting in.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Aren't some outlets reporting that travel bans and large group gathering restrictions will possibly still be in effect into July/Aug?   

I get it, people want their hockey - I do too - , and its always good to have some sort of plan - but I heard one infectious disease expert describe our time frame as "just the very end of the beginning' with unknown months to go yet?  

Sorry for being a downer everyone - haven't left house in 5 days....cabin fever definitely setting in.

I think our leagues might be following what happened in China.  Their pro basketball league shut down for 12 weeks.  It’s back up and running again.  

48 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't think you're being a downer, you raise valid points. I understand that people want hockey back, and that it's in the NHL's best interest as a business and corporation to get things running again, but considering how the pandemic is impacting the world.. 

Canada and the US aren't allowing non-essential travel between countries as of today, who knows what things will look like in two or three months? I imagine things will get worse and the infection rate will rise before things begin to get better. And worse could be bad, even with people isolating, given the population of the US.

The NHL will plan and hope for the best, but I remain skeptical that the season will continue given the state of the world. 

If they did start the season in November, I'd actually prefer something like a 70-game season. They played 70-game seasons for almost 20 years from the late 40s to the late 60s, so it's definitely doable and 82 games in that stretch of time would be insane.

This year might be shortened too if they want to "finish" it in the span of about 2 weeks.

It would be difficult to restart the season even for playoffs if Canadian players cannot fly into the USA and vice versa.  The travel ban would have to be lifted before any mention of a season resuming again.  It will be at least 2 months before they are looking at playing sports again.  A condensed playoff format may work.  Or they may just cancel the season altogether and not award a Stanley Cup like in 1919 with the Spanish Flu and again in 2004-2005 because of the season long lockout...

I could see this plan having real egg-on-face potential for the NHL.

The NHL likes to think that it is one of the big 4 pro leagues in North America and it has a long history of not really looking at the pros and cons of its rule changes.

(1 case in point is the loser point, but there are more)

What they may very well find happening is that fan interest, in suspect markets, is not as great as they expect, the ice is bad in many arenas, fans do not want to come inside during the heat of the summer, summer vacations, NFL start up, causing the NHL to be exposed as the greedy second rate league that it is.

Followed next season by increased player fatigue and injury due to a short summer and even more compressed schedule.

Remember just last week when Calgary and Winnipeg got roasted for poor employee relations regarding layoffs.

this plan has the potential to shine a very bad light on the NHL compared to the other major leagues

There is opportunity to come out of this looking really good or really bad, but the NHL has never been good at looking both ways before it leaps

Bobrovsky looks pretty good right now paying the salary of arena workers, will the NHL expand on that or will it come away looking greedy?

At the end of the day, the actions will be measured against the rest of sport.