The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

6 hours ago, afan said:

Teams need at least 3 scoring lines to succeed in the SC playoffs. Virtanen scored 18 goals playing on the 3rd line and he scored the most PP goals in the 2nd unit PP. This guy has speed, can forecheck, hit and is never a defense liability. With Virtanen, Audette playing on the 3rd line, adding either Rousell or Ferland the Nucks 3rd line has speed,can score, forecheck and hit. It's a shame to see a 18 goal scorer to sit on the bench and watch the Canucks lose to the Wild. If JB and Green dislike Virtanen, trade him away in the off season but don't let him sit and lose the series. 

Wouldn’t worry about it too much.  TG knows how to motivate and push JVs buttons and it’s not like he hasn’t brought it on himself to sit out - with this bottom six you have to earn it.   Adding a chip on his shoulder couldn’t hurt right?  JV can be a play driver - but he can just float around for a few games too, and in a short series that isn’t ok.   Guys aren’t going to hurt themselves in a pre-seaosonish exhibition game... JV watching from the press-box has to be a motivator...

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wouldn’t worry about it too much.  TG knows how to motivate and push JVs buttons and it’s not like he hasn’t brought it on himself to sit out - with this bottom six you have to earn it.   Adding a chip on his shoulder couldn’t hurt right?  JV can be a play driver - but he can just float around for a few games too, and in a short series that isn’t ok.   Guys aren’t going to hurt themselves in a pre-seaosonish exhibition game... JV watching from the press-box has to be a motivator...

Question. 

OJ was our extra defenseman last night. Who was our extra forward?

6 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

My playoff starting line up. Scratching Fantenberg + Mac was difficult. Joulevi impressed me against jets.

Miller -Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Toffoli

Ferland -Gaudette-Virtanen 

Motte- Beagle- Roussell 

Eriksson - Sutter - Mac

Hughes -Tanev

Edler - Stecher 

Joulevi - Myers

Fantenberg - Rafferty

Marky - Demko 

that's pretty much what I have too, but I might plug eriksson in for motte or roussel.  Neither of them was good last night and, by all accounts, LE had a solid camp.  And Boeser with Bo and TT with Petey

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

Rousell Pettersson Macewen

Ferlond Horvat Toffeli

Pearsone Gwaudette Boeser

Motte Bagle Vitanen

Just got told this by greener @1098newsglory

he also said to let dumbnuck know what the plan was ... don't cover anyone, scatter play up front is on.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Roussel-Horvat- Toffoli

Pearson-Gaudette Boeser

Motte- Beagle- mac 

Eriksson - Sutter - ferland

Hughes -Tanev

Edler -  Stecher 

Fantenberg - Myers

Juolevi- Rafferty

Marky - Demko 

Fixed that for ya. I know coach always says he doesn’t play mind games but I could see him icing this lineup against Minnesota ; sit Virtanen make him hungry then give him the opportunity to play on the top line. 

I like the defence setup. Aside from moving Fanteberg in.  Our d core needs to step up for us to go far. they need to find a new level of play and stay dialed in every shift.  Get back and move the puck out quickly with a forward or two coming back to help. We can’t wait for Wild to establish their cycle game we need to do our best to get the puck out quickly with control and go the other way. 

My game 1 lineup:

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Miller Pettersson Toffoli

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stecher

Fantenberg Myers

Markstrom

Demko

PP1:

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Hughes Miller

PP2:

Virtanen Gaudette Ferland

Pearson Myers

PK1:

Roussel Beagle

Edler Tanev

PK2:

Miller Motte

Fantenberg Myers 

Ya its 100% a hot take on Juolevi. Brain says Fanta, heart says Olli. I would think Ollie only gets in if fanta really struggles and Benn is still doing dad stuff.

I think Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli could be a great playoff line. Pearson is underrated imo... the guy is so strong on the puck and boards, checks with his legs. That line would be great to match up against a smaller D pair like Spurgeon during home games. Could really wear down the other team and eat ice-time. I would give this line the most ice time. Shades of that 70's line?

Petey with Boeser and Miller is just a straight up dangerous line. Could get more offensive starts and PP time. I think Boeser is trying to prove something and I would think playing with Petey is a motivating factor for him.

Gaudette with Ferly + Roussell ... (Changed my mind on Virt) ... Just a go hard to the net, annoy people line that has scoring touch.

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen.... Fast, heavy 4th line , Jake might get easy d-pairs he can just blow by and snipe. Could easily switch him with someone on 3rd line if hes feeling it. Motte is my other unsung guy to pearson....guy is a freak. That 4th line would have some serious tempo. 

That line-up would so hard to play against IMO which is how Travis Green wants to play. We just gotta make sure we can get the puck out our own zone to get on the forecheck.

Go Nucks

• Cheers 1

Moved to Europe back in January and have only been able to watch a couple afternoon games since then, but I'll be setting my alarm to 4:30 am and catching this one.
Hoping to see them come out flying and looking forward to watching some hockey again!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm dialed in and ready for the Nucks to steal the series, but remember, if we lose we still have a 12.5 freaking % chance of landing Laffy.

There's no IF in qualifying.  

Wait.....what?

Hey guys...only 212,400 more seconds until game time!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Virtanen is the Canucks 5th best winger, unless you believe Green , the dr.dooliltte training camp hockey whisperer. Green is more like WD and Nimrod Mike Keenan than Pat Quinn.

Virtanen is 5th best and all the stats from the regular season reflect that, yet he's treated like the 10-14 forward over and over by the hockey whisperer. It's no different than Washington scratching Vrana or Ellers in the playoffs for Dowd or Boyd to look like a coach that knows what he's doing.

If Green scratches Virtanen and the Canucks look like they did in that pre-season game, Green will be fired.

56 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Moved to Europe back in January and have only been able to watch a couple afternoon games since then, but I'll be setting my alarm to 4:30 am and catching this one.
Hoping to see them come out flying and looking forward to watching some hockey again!

Awesome to hear the dedication from fans from all over. I’ll be on the water on a big boat watching the games. I’ll have my towel waving make sure you don’t forget to bring a towel! Enjoy the games bright and early! 

06853C61-69FC-4C0F-BF3B-33D8DDB5DB31.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Virtanen is the Canucks 5th best winger, unless you believe Green , the dr.dooliltte training camp hockey whisperer. Green is more like WD and Nimrod Mike Keenan than Pat Quinn.

Virtanen is 5th best and all the stats from the regular season reflect that, yet he's treated like the 10-14 forward over and over by the hockey whisperer. It's no different than Washington scratching Vrana or Ellers in the playoffs for Dowd or Boyd to look like a coach that knows what he's doing.

If Green scratches Virtanen and the Canucks look like they did in that pre-season game, Green will be fired.

It's funny, Green has been mostly in charge of Virtanen's development so far in his career. If he is the 5th best winger on the team, that's more of a feather in Green's cap than a knock. Whatever Green has done has improved his defensive game and we are seeing an uptick on offense. Green is trying to build a complete player that can last longer in the league. Haven't seen Jake complain about Green once yet, nor mention anything about getting his stuff like WD told him to.

• Cheers 1