The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Golden Knights -SUN AUG 23 7:30PM PACIFIC - NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Rate this topic

xereau

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The early Canuck success on the PP put the Blues back on their heels for a bit. Vegas will do the same thing as they will target EP40 and Hughes. If the Canuck PP can make them pay it could have the same impact as against the Blues. That said Vegas has a better defense and better forwards for that matter. As a Canuck fan I have to hope that Marky can continue his superior play and that special teams can outplay Vegas. 

As per earlier in the thread MacLean is a real loser and I won't listen to his drivel. Serious character flaws IMHO. What he tried to do to Alex Burrows should never be forgot or forgiven. He tried to use his influence to end the career of a solid hockey player and a great person. It was not a one off as he did the same thing to Don Cherry by not supporting him when Cherry needed it. That tells me that the banter of their relationship was a calculated one by MacLean. He was using Cherry to promote himself. This was in contrast to Cherry who whole heartedly supported MacLean when CBC tried to cut cost by getting rid of MacLean. Obviously MacLean did not reciprocate when Cherry needed his support and that says a lot about that person. Never forget that Ron MacLean is a douche. 

What did he say about burrows??

3 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

I second that Deb... Non Canuck fan/trolls please go pump up Vegas on their boards cause there gonna need it. We get it we’re the underdogs, everyone is sooooo superior than us blah blah blah, you hate the Nucks. Leave us True Nuck fans to enjoy our team and cheer them on. Let’s Gooooooo!!!! :towel:

Who thought the NY Giants would beat the undefeated Patriots in Super Bowl 42? Who thought the Americans with mostly college players would beat the mighty USSR in 1980? Predictions and betting favorites mean nothing, the games are won and lost on the ice/field/court. I believe in my heart, the Canucks CAN win this series. Will it be a really big challenge?? Of course! It’s supposed to be hard. You don’t win on paper, you win by performing! I say who cares if we get no respect, Green should use it to motivate the boys, the old “us against the world” narrative. Go Canucks!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This young core still has to face  - and win - an elimination game .   Let's hope it is a game 7 challenge, and not earlier (although winning 4 consecutive elimination games in one series would certainly be character building - only been done 4 times before)

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

that doesn't even have anything to do with what I was talking about.  I can mansplain it for you if you like though

Wow... 

I have to look around to make sure my wife doesn't come out of nowhere and slap you around haha. 

I think we're slowly moving towards a stand against any inequality whether it be race or gender. 

These issues are still very prevalent in society today so hard to make a joke about it. 

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

I second that Deb... Non Canuck fan/trolls please go pump up Vegas on their boards cause there gonna need it. We get it we’re the underdogs, everyone is sooooo superior than us blah blah blah, you hate the Nucks. Leave us True Nuck fans to enjoy our team and cheer them on. Let’s Gooooooo!!!! :towel:

There are a lot of posters on this board with an inferiority complex.  Also, many tend to overestimate players on other teams because unless your watching hockey 24/7, youre only seeing highlights of these players and not the negative parts of their game.  The Canucks, when healthy, are legitimately one of the deepest teams in the game.  Having said that, Vegas is well oiled machine and play hard for eachother.  Also, Mark Stone is a force that can take over a game as well as or better than any of our players.   

I'm a bit worried about Reaves running around.  No doubt he will stamp his presence in the series with his physicality and intimidation.

I was listening just now to Sportsnet 650 and Chris Cuthbert was on and asked about how the Canucks deal with Reaves.  He basically said, "Don't poke the bear, don't draw attention to him and make him engaged with you".  In so many ways its true, don't engage in the battle with him, he is inevitably going to take a pound of flesh and thrives when opposition chases him or tries to step up on him.  Let him do his thing, and focus on our own game or speed and skill.  I feel at some point when games get tight, he usually gets stapled to the bench.

We come at Vegas hard with speed and skill, the more he gets held off the ice.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I really hate Vegas. NHLs golden child. Let the rivalry begin! 

I'm in total agreement with you on Vegas.  Whenever somebody says they were an expansion team I get a bit upset.  How many expansions teams (after going to 12 teams) made it to the Stanley Cup their first year?  NONE! Okay, the Blues did their first 3 years.  But that was when all expansions teams were in the same division.  Their worst showing since inception is last year or perhaps this year.  But come on they were not an "expansion team" in the true sense of the word.  1st yr team sure.  New team sure. The worst part is, they won't lose a player to Seattle.  If Seattle benefits from the draft like Vegas did, I can see a Seattle - Vegas Conference final sooner than later.

49 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Whitecloud is a big steady dman back there. For a rookie. I was surprised at his composure. Just watched some games vs Chicago. 

46 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Chicago , IMO, did not forechecked Vegas hard enough. Canucks is capable to put a great pressure on Vegas D.

44 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I would swap out LE for a speedy forechecker.

I think this discussion is the absolute key to the series. 

Taking a page out of the Blues books, our forwards have to go in hard and hit their D every chance they get. 

I predicted last series that our bottom 6 will come up big for us to win the series and same thing here. 

Our top 6 can hold our own against any other team. 

Our bottom 6 is what needs to separate us from the pack. 

We know what we're getting in Motte on the forecheck.

We need guys like Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, McEwan, Gaudette Sutter going in hard, hitting, turning pucks over and grinding their D in their own zone. If they approach this series like they did in game 5 and 6, i dont see how Vegas can hold up. 

Everyone predicted the Blues to grind us down and tire us out and win the series but game 5 and 6 show that our bottom 6 won the war and wore them down. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Been close for a while now.

Yeah, the exact same tweet came out. Tofolli is skating, apparently he would have been possible for game 7 so I imagine they might just be holding him back for one game one, and then re-evaluate depending on how the game goes.

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm a bit worried about Reaves running around.  No doubt he will stamp his presence in the series with his physicality and intimidation.

I was listening just now to Sportsnet 650 and Chris Cuthbert was on and asked about how the Canucks deal with Reaves.  He basically said, "Don't poke the bear, don't draw attention to him and make him engaged with you".  In so many ways its true, don't engage in the battle with him, he is inevitably going to take a pound of flesh and thrives when opposition chases him or tries to step up on him.  Let him do his thing, and focus on our own game or speed and skill.  I feel at some point when games get tight, he usually gets stapled to the bench.

We come at Vegas hard with speed and skill, the more he gets held off the ice.

I, too, am listening to that (along with the Walsh/MAF stuff) and agree.  This was, I believe, a response to someone calling/texting in to suggest Jake should have a go at Reaves.  100% don't poke the bear...we won't win that game.  Just blow around him and score.  Force him to hook and slash at us and sit in the box then unleash the PP.

People want to focus on Jake as a physical guy but, mostly, it's his speed that makes him most effective.  I mean, I like him to use both but not to instigate and welcome that game.  Only if needed as a response.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

There are a lot of posters on this board with an inferiority complex.  Also, many tend to overestimate players on other teams because unless your watching hockey 24/7, youre only seeing highlights of these players and not the negative parts of their game.  The Canucks, when healthy, are legitimately one of the deepest teams in the game.  Having said that, Vegas is well oiled machine and play hard for eachother.  Also, Mark Stone is a force that can take over a game as well as or better than any of our players.   

Stone is a solid player no doubt. I think facing ROR in the first round was a blessing in disguise for the Canucks. 

The team defence had to be so sharp and in sync to contain ROR and we started figuring it out as the series went on. I think ROR is a better player than Stone so if the Canucks can continue what we do, I think we'll be ok

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1