Rate this topic

Timbermen

is Jim Benning a good GM?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Is JB a good GM?

• Yes, , he is a good GM
    • No, I'm a better armchair GM

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2020 at 08:42 AM

Very difficult to compare GM's down through the years. CAP era versus non-CAP free for alls. Canadian $ franchises trying to compete with USD franchises. Lots of variables. As a 50 year fan what I can say is that I have never seen a rebuild from nothing to what is here now. Canuck managements through the eras have always had fan pressure and financial challenges to contend with. Short term solutions and desperation plays have always been the opt out. I give full credit to Benning for the team he has built. This group has moved faster towards contention than I thought possible. 

As an aside fans should not forget Benning's work on the org. The Utica team is an intregal part of the result. The full benefit of the work there will be realized in coming years as the NHL roster becomes harder to break in on. Players will spend 2-3 years there as a matter of course.   

Edited by Boudrias
add
  • Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Burke because of one draft? He also wheeled and dealed to the point the cupboard was empty of prospects by the time Nonis took over.

For Me:

1. Quinn

2. Benning (so far)

3. Gillis 

4. Burke 

5. Nonis

Yes there's been a 5 year absence in the playoffs. But Benning has at our current stage, has gotten as far as Burke ever did. And polar opposite of Burke has stocked the cupboard.

Having a look at our Expansion Cousins the Sabres. Who have missed the playoffs for 9 years, despite: Never drafting lower than 20th in that time, One 1st overall. Two 2nd Overall, and 7 picks in the top 10. And on their 4th GM in that same stretch. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not bashing JB at all. I fully support the way they've gone about this rebuild, and he's done an exemplary job at making this team competitive, while stocking the farm system. I just have a high opinion of Burke (yes, for drafting the Sedins/Kesler). Don't forget, Gillis also left the cupboards bare by the time he was done, save Horvat.

Depending on how he handles this off-season with who he brings back/in, and if this playoff success runs through next season, I'll revisit my list.

the question should be, what makes a good gm to you?

must he win every trade? only draft players that will turn out the best within 3 years? only hire the very best people for every position?

is there such a gm? should he be perfect for the media and fans? 

if you rate each area, then grade each nhl gm in each area, you’ll have a better idea of if benji is a good gm.

maybe we should rate members of cdc?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

must he win every trade? only draft players that will turn out the best within 3 years? only hire the very best people for every position?

if you rate each area, then grade each nhl gm in each area, you’ll have a better idea of if benji is a good gm.

We used to but 'they' took away the minus.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning came in when the Canucks were aging, and gutted from their 2011 defeat. Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa left. There were no prospects.

In 6 years, and with the Sedins retiring, he's restocked the prospect pool, made some very key trades, and turned this team into a contender IMO. He's drafted 3 Calder candidates in a row. 

Not just Good, he's a Great GM 

It's so easy to see this, yet so difficult for some, for some reason. 

And not only restocked the prospect pool, but to one of the top 5 best prospect pools in the league, even as our star rookies are on our team right away. We're a contender this year and will be for soooo many years to come.

I mean, look at how long it took the other GMs and their cores to get good and contend, yet we already are our first time in the playoffs with this new core? I digress haha.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

must he win every trade?

thats a media-driven idea. GMs don't go into trades to "win" or beat another GM them they go in to improve their teams. 

36 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

rate each area

on drafting, its clear Jim and his scouting team have done a great job. its too reductive to say, oh well the had high picks so of course they got talent. Nope, we've seen too many years go by of teams with high picks not getting talent. Jim is 4/6 in 1st rounders so far maybe a bit better depending on how you view Jake. If Juolevi is for real and actually plays next year then the record is quite good. 3 GMs pased on Hughes. How many would have passed on Petey, probably 8 or 9.

Jim's biggest snafu's were during the re-tool attempt, thats when we spent big on tweeters like Baer and Vey and made UFA mistakes. 

Yes Jim spent a premium getting Beagle and Roussel, but man is that ever paying off. Petey, Hughes and Brock have gone to graduate school the last three weeks and we've seen real improvement in all of them, which is pretty great considering the talent level they started out with. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

People who still complain about bad contracts in the bottom 6 make laugh a big big laugh

Tell me again about how we'd be in the second round without Beagle, Sutter and Roussel

Or maybe he knew more about building a hockey team than you did all along

Edited by Yung1
  • Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

I think I would get an A+...  :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Game said:

This has got to stop. Benning has overseen the Canucks during a six year rebuild where we’ve been the worst team in the league. “His drafting is amazing”: well yeah, when you routinely get top 5 picks it usually turns out ok. Plus he’s missed on two top 10 picks (Virtanen and Joulievi). 

We just managed to squeeze into the playoffs, and our cap is a total mess. He’s handed out too large too expensive contracts to bottom line players, and this will severely hinder our future (what happens when both Elias and Quinn need ~$10 million contracts in a year?

Sure, he hasn’t been all bad but to even suggest that he’s the best GM in our franchise’s history is laughable. (I remember during the fall of Torts’ season where someone hade a thread saying “Torts is the best coach in Canucks history” just ‘cause we’d had a hot start. This is in the same vein.) 

Benning has a good enough and young enough core that should set us up for a number of years.  We havent  ever had this many high end young players on our team at once,maybe even in our 50 years combined,  for a long time Benning will have his finger prints on this team, likely well after he is gone.

I think it will be at least 3-4 years before we see another $10+ million deal signed. Nobody has the space to fit those at this point with a flat cap, they are either up against it now, or will be in a year or 2 with their own RFA's.  I suspect there will be a lot of bridge deals that end once the cap freeze is over.  We will be in good shape by that time cap wise.

Yes, Benning has had a number of top 10 picks, but his work outside of those picks---later picks who are still developing, and undrafted FA's has been outstanding.  Nobody hits all their picks, even top 10, there are always a few busts in there each .  I'm fine with the Virtanen pick, he is a 40 point guy that keeps getting better.  I also still feel Joulevi can develop into a top 4 for us.  Were they the best picks at their given slots, no, but both should still contribute to our roster.

Lastly, while we have some bottom of the lineup players who are over paid by a million or 2 in (rooster, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson (3+ overpaid), you can see the vision that Benning had while bringing them in.  I don't think we are still playing without these guys, they were solid in their roles against the Blues.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, The Game said:

This has got to stop. Benning has overseen the Canucks during a six year rebuild where we’ve been the worst team in the league. “His drafting is amazing”: well yeah, when you routinely get top 5 picks it usually turns out ok. Plus he’s missed on two top 10 picks (Virtanen and Joulievi). 

We just managed to squeeze into the playoffs, and our cap is a total mess. He’s handed out too large too expensive contracts to bottom line players, and this will severely hinder our future (what happens when both Elias and Quinn need ~$10 million contracts in a year?

Sure, he hasn’t been all bad but to even suggest that he’s the best GM in our franchise’s history is laughable. (I remember during the fall of Torts’ season where someone hade a thread saying “Torts is the best coach in Canucks history” just ‘cause we’d had a hot start. This is in the same vein.) 

Thanks.

This poll is pretty moronic as I don't think he's great and of course he's going to be better than any fan, also just cashing in on all the fans being excited about round 2 - Fox News would be proud.

Bottom line is Benning lucked out with the best possible scenario due to covid and that'll earn him a couple of more years.  Perhaps with as  good as a showing the team has shown here maybe that'll bring an end to his achilles heel - pro scouting and free agency and he won't feel so much pressure to sign players for 6 years just to come here.

He can become the best GM in franchise history, frankly that bar is pretty low, but he has a long way to go and some weaknesses he has to overcome like the cap which is a mess, no other way to put it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

i 100% agree this i am huge Benning supporter i still have Pat Quinn at #1 With Benning at #3 like you said tho depending on the next 2-3 years he most definitely has the potential to move up to #1

You have 1. Pat Quinn - I agree with that , Quinn made some great trades.

I have Benning # 2 right now..Benning only had 2 prospect Gaunce and Horvat when he took over June 2014...

Prospects, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Juolevi, Rafferty, Briesbois, Lind, Dipietro, Lockwood, Woo, Drafed players playing, Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen, Stetcher, Gaudette, Demko, Trades and free agents, Miller, Pearson, Myers, Leivo, Bailey, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Motte, ,Benn, Fantenberg..Only guys playing that are not from Benn's moves are, Horvat, markstrom. Tanev , Edler..Glad Benning and company spent the time to develop Markstrom as it took 4 years after the trade before he was showing signs..

So that being said Benning and group have there blue print on this team.

This team can score we have seen them so many times come from behind to win, hard working and exciting...

Great mix of veterans and leaders with good character...

Go Canucks Go

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I loved the big Irishman he’s closes to the heart but Benning is our rockstar and easily the best drafting Gm and most knowledgeable of players around the league we have ever had.

Quin is the best and won’t be overtaken until we win a cup IMO.  JB had no business giving me hope - that’s the only thing I could say I don’t like about him - this was never supposed to happen.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Team Tank sure thought so.

:lol:

Meh, EP literally saved his career in my opinion, and then QH and Miller erased most complaints.

Was he actually responsible for those player selections? I know he was responsible for why the team was at that draft position. 

I like the semi-rugged, character team he placed around the kids. Knew that group could contend if they made the dance. If Podz and Hogz take over as Miller fades, etc, the window could be extended, but as a Canucks fan I’ve learned not to hope for much in the ifs-and-buts game. 

I should add that QH probably is something like a 10x8Dman in the making and EP could be a similar deal. Horvat and others could give issues *similar to what Toronto went through with the cap, but luckily they won’t be buying up a top UFA at 10 mil to compliment those two. 

Good points.

1.  The GM makes the final call on draft selections so ya, he is responsible.  He works by committee but he has a vision of the team that he wants to end up with and tells the scouts the types of players he wants.  He may not do the actual scouting but he needs to agree on the selections.

2.  I think that we need to wait and see how Benning sets the salaries on the team as it matures.  This is what we need to look at when judging his cap management because the team he has 2 or 3 years from now in terms of cap, is what he has been working towards.  It is his vision.  If there are only a couple of players with top salaries the cap will be manageable.  If there are more, you end up with a top heavy team like Toronto.  This is the real thing to avoid. 

People get up in arms about his past cap management but look, when you have few assets, it's very difficult to improve the team to a point where you're developing your young core well.  And you never can tell how quickly the young core will come along.  You really need to avoid a situation like in Buffalo or Edmonton where the team is out of the playoffs for the better part of a decade.   He's going to have to cut some of the supporting players this off season.  I'm not overly concerned if he has to let Toffoli walk.  He would be a nice asset to keep but it's not the end of the world as we have seen during these playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

As long as the assessment begins by acknowledging the fact the JB and his cap teams never intended to pick at the top of the draft (and thus in consecutive rounds, for years on end)  to restock any prospect cupboards with, then it can be a reasonable assessment. 

Judging a manager of the silver linings of unintended results won’t fly in any other performance review. 

Imagine telling your boss that you need to spend to the cap with a team of cripples, Delzasters like Gagne being brought in to fix the power play, Miller to keep them from dropping in the standings, just to rebuild the club, top to bottom?

Imagine what the response from your boss would be? 

Yes, we hear that a losing environment is bad because the Oilers are the only way to view the results of exposing kids to losing seasons. We also hear the value of leadership, sure, but many PTO type roster players could have provided a positive culture during the several losing seasons the Canucks would inevitably endure, despite all of this hyperbole. 

JB is the luckiest GM in Canucks history, for sure, but to say he managed this team to intended results is CNN-like, possibly even FOX news, fabrication and a dishonest account or assessment of his curious mismanagement of the NHL roster, which led to the superstars that are currently making those pricy, and at term, UFA contracts look like some wizardry. 

It wasn’t until he switched gears and deliberately built around the fruit of those unintended results in EP and QH that I think he deserves recognition above the bar of mediocracy. Of late, yes, he’s built a team that I’ve long wanted to see in Vancouver and I am super happy to have him, now. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Benning has a good enough and young enough core that should set us up for a number of years.  We havent  ever had this many high end young players on our team at once,maybe even in our 50 years combined,  for a long time Benning will have his finger prints on this team, likely well after he is gone.

I think it will be at least 3-4 years before we see another $10+ million deal signed. Nobody has the space to fit those at this point with a flat cap, they are either up against it now, or will be in a year or 2 with their own RFA's.  I suspect there will be a lot of bridge deals that end once the cap freeze is over.  We will be in good shape by that time cap wise.

Yes, Benning has had a number of top 10 picks, but his work outside of those picks---later picks who are still developing, and undrafted FA's has been outstanding.  Nobody hits all their picks, even top 10, there are always a few busts in there each .  I'm fine with the Virtanen pick, he is a 40 point guy that keeps getting better.  I also still feel Joulevi can develop into a top 4 for us.  Were they the best picks at their given slots, no, but both should still contribute to our roster.

Lastly, while we have some bottom of the lineup players who are over paid by a million or 2 in (rooster, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson (3+ overpaid), you can see the vision that Benning had while bringing them in.  I don't think we are still playing without these guys, they were solid in their roles against the Blues.

In the past, we look forward to one or two prospects making the team.  In addition to the high skill young core on the Canucks,  I can't wait until gritty, high scoring Cole Lind, the Russian Messier - VP, stay at home Woo (Tanev) and the Swedish Gallagher -Hoglander makes the team.  Imagine a young Corey Perry, Messier, Gallagher and a hard hitting Tanev added to the core?

The Canucks are going to be a SC contender for YEARS.  GB will be the best GM in Canucks history.

Edited by stanleysteamersmyl