The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Those who "don't feel" that OEL will decline....that's a crapshoot.  What we do know is that players tend to slow down on average as they hit their 30's and those who don't are not the norm.

Peak likely being around 25-28 for most players from what I've seen/read.

It's not about having a hunch...it's about going by history.  He's recently had surgery and things start to impact play over time.  Can we find examples of players who don't fall off?  Sure...but look at them as an exception not the rule.  Also have to consider who they play with, how they play, etc.

With that and in comparison...some of those people are ready to write Brock off at 23?!?!

OEL is in his prime and has little wear and tear on his body and D peak at an older age while usually performing better in their 30s opposed to forwards. Every trade and signing has risks but look at Edler, 5 years older only 2 million cheaper and is our best all round defenceman. OEL immediately becomes our best.

I think it's reasonable that in 6 years he will be as effective as Edler is now and the cap hit will be a lot lower percentage then it is now.

His contract is also very buy-out friendly.

26 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I'm referring to the ppl on cdc just read thru the 150+ pages lol

Right but why are you assuming they're the same people? CDC isn't a hivemind. People can't even agree on a jersey here.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

Sure, if you’re comparing OEL to the entire pool of NHL players you’re going to get that 25-28 age range but half of those players are forwards that peak earlier than defencemen.  I’m sure if you took out the forwards, and goaltenders, you’ll find defencemen peak a little later in the 28-32 age window.  Now, take out the bottom tier defence men and look at the top tier defencemen and you’ll see that they tend to play well into their mid 30s.

One need look much further than on our own team with what Edler is currently doing in his mid 30s.  We’re not talking about scrub defencemen

For the third consecutive year, the average NHL defenceman was under the age of 27. That's more than a full year drop from just 10 years ago.

Again...few and far between and it's a crapshoot.  It's not about how "good" he is...it's about how his body holds up and as players age, injuries start to become more of a factor.  Especially putting all the eggs in A basket.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-increasingly-reliant-on-young-defencemen-1.1148442#:~:text=For the third consecutive year,from just 10 years ago!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND just as I predicted with the whole "over 100 pages of threads" comment earlier today, nothing more to see here :lol:

Hey, we can still make 200 pages speculating about what happened! 

• Haha 1