The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Of course. But I don't know if we have space to even sign 2 guys.

And the flat cap is a huge issue, but the cap problems are atleast as much self-inflicted as they are a result of the flat cap.

OEL fell through & they lost Markstrom. So far not ideal. Listening to Benning right now and he said they are expecting an answer from Tanev tomorrow. Said they'd 'love him back if the money made sense', sounded kinda 50/50. 

Virtanen isn't a top 6 forward, but he'll get paid close to one. I think they should explore trading Virtanen with a bad contract, but are other teams even interested in that? 

Don't need to beat a dead horse here, but a big part of this is prior decisions coming back to haunt them & that's pretty undeniable.

Being perfectly honest, I think you're overthinking all of this. Ferland's likely on LTIR. We have 8mil+ space currently even with Holtby signed and without considering Ferland (can you imagine Markstrom at 6x6 here?). We don't know the extent of the OEL rumours. Virtanen going to arbitration doesn't mean he'll get paid like a top 6.

All I'm saying is calm down dude. Eat a snickers. ;)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Right now we are looking at:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

MacEwen, Ferland

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Benn

Juolevi - Chatfield

Rafferty

Holtby

Demko

Still more money to spend but.... Looks like a step back in goal & the same holes we had at points before. (Needing a T6F & a T4D)

They would probably put Loui with Bo and Zack with Beagle. Gaudette/Sutter with Virtanen on wing. Maybe even switch Motte and Roussel.

I'm guessing we re-sign Tanev and pick up a RHD UFA or we might have to get two depending. That's without making any trades. Still time, still options out there.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

First of all, a lot of teams are going to take a step back in general. Benning should be praised if we come out of this a step forward. Expect a step back with this flat cap world basically. lol

Second, we're only a few hours into free agency. Barrie's just a rumour at this point and have we even heard anything about Toffoli or Tanev? Just because they can sign anywhere doesn't mean they will and we're already seeing free agents resigning with their teams despite being UFA. There's a lot of chaos to ensue before we should even analyze the way you're doing imo.

The somewhat ironic thing about "stepping backward" as well - is the fact that they played 10 playoff games without Toffoli - in which they won more frequently than with him in the lineup (he was seriously limping in the 7 games he did play).   They also had to sub Benn into 7 games - Myers missed 7 - and Juolevi also dressed in a game....As great as Markstrom was, were they worse off with Demko, and will they be worse off with Holtby, considering they didn't have Markstrom in three consecutive elimination games....

In other words, re-sign Tanev and you're pretty much on par with their average playoff game roster...the one contingency being Stecher/replacement, and possibly whether they manage to re-sign Fantenburg or comparable (I'd take him over Benn, but regardless, there is room to uptick with Juolevi.

The other significant factor being overlooked - is the uptick from within of players like EP, Hughes, etc - and the potential of one of their talented young forwards to force their way into the lineup, something that's been happening consistently in recent off/preseasons... Additionally if they can bring back Leivo, they have another versatile option that can move up in the lineup, and potentially surprise people (19 pts in 36 games this year is a 40+ pt/82 type season...)    A healthy Leivo in the mix may not be as much of a 'step back' as perceived....

It may be worth it to spend an asset in order to create space for another 'bigger' addition, but with the existing depth, and a few more depth additions in a  deflated market, I'm not so sure 'stepping back' is as obviously in the cards as some others here. It's a tight cap market accross the board and a deflated buyers market, so those two things somewhat offset each other - and particularly if you have emerging youth to keep your roster more competitive throughout your depth.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Chatfield might not even make the team let alone slotted in the first pair

Agreed, although JB seems high on him.  Did Hughes - Myers play together much in the season (lol  - I honestly can't remember, but my recollection is of reading some stats that said they weren't a good fit)

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Fair enough.

With no "interview period" the week preceding free agency - taking one day - although it might appear unusual - is not really that unexpected this particular UFA period - which has been a lot slower out of the gate, naturally, with the added complication of trying to assess relative market value (which appears evidently lower than 'normal').

Just now, The Lock said:

Being perfectly honest, I think you're overthinking all of this. Ferland's likely on LTIR. We have 8mil+ space currently even with Holtby signed and without considering Ferland (can you imagine Markstrom at 6x6 here?). We don't know the extent of the OEL rumours. Virtanen going to arbitration doesn't mean he'll get paid like a top 6.

All I'm saying is calm down dude. Eat a snickers. ;)

We are all entitled to our opinions. That seems optimistic on Ferland, by all accounts he's going to give it another try. I think he'll end up on LTIR but we can't count on having that $$ free. I said Virtanen would be 'close' - like 3ish.

I'm fine with them moving on from Markstrom. And I was really optimistic on OEL. I just think its becoming harder to envision this roster looking better, that's all. 

19 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

They would probably put Loui with Bo and Zack with Beagle. Gaudette/Sutter with Virtanen on wing. Maybe even switch Motte and Roussel.

I'm guessing we re-sign Tanev and pick up a RHD UFA or we might have to get two depending. That's without making any trades. Still time, still options out there.

You can re-arrange it how you like, but man I don't know if I can do another year of Loui in the top 6.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

We are all entitled to our opinions. That seems optimistic on Ferland, by all accounts he's going to give it another try. I think he'll end up on LTIR but we can't count on having that $$ free. I said Virtanen would be 'close' - like 3ish.

I'm fine with them moving on from Markstrom. And I was really optimistic on OEL. I just think its becoming harder to envision this roster looking better, that's all. 

To be fair though, that situation applies to the majority of teams. Most of them are at best, going to be flat vs last year. At least on paper. Progress really needs to be measured against your competition. The best teams will get worse, the worst teams, better. A lot in the middle will be roughly the same or +/- a bit.

I also think it doesn't give enough due to how much our young core will continue to improve, the addition of guys like Juolevi etc.

27 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So we'll know sometime tomorrow, aight 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You can re-arrange it how you like, but man I don't know if I can do another year of Loui in the top 6.

I'm kinda hoping they waive him and plug a younger guy in, at least then I wouldn't have to see him on the ice 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I was going off of your roster. I have Loui waived.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

So we'll know sometime tomorrow, aight 

I'm kinda hoping they waive him and plug a younger guy in, at least then I wouldn't have to see him on the ice 

Lets hope. I'd even take Baertschi.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair though, that situation applies to the majority of teams. Most of them are at best, going to be flat vs last year. At least on paper. Progress really needs to be measured against your competition. The best teams will get worse, the worst teams, better. A lot in the middle will be roughly the same or +/- a bit.

I also think it doesn't give enough due to how much our young core will continue to improve, the addition of guys like Juolevi etc.

Its a fair point, some teams are in the same spot. I just hope this isn't a season we take a big step back because its been alot of losing prior to the great season we just had.

I don't think its unfair to expect us to be in the playoffs next season, therefore its understandable to be hopeful of our roster improving or atleast not getting much worse. 

• Cheers 2