The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

I hope Tanev's offers are in a range that we can match. It's a funny market and there should be some decent players who get a reality check after testing the market for a while. Many teams won't spend as much as in past UFA markets.

We can still pick up low cost options. We are fine on the left side. We need Tanev and another d-man or two right hand d-men.Or I guess we could promote one from within and sign just one rightie.

I've long had the feeling that Tanev was giving a "home town discount" to the Canucks because he liked being here. With the OEL hunt looking to be over, hopefully, Tanev will continue to give the Canucks a break and leave some money on the table to re-sign here.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Yeah, fair enough point, but the Canucks defense sucked for the better part of the year so by continually bringing back the same players it's not going to change that. I know you are sentimental to long served Canucks but sometimes you gotta move on.

If you have a start of a good blueline, do you get rid of the pieces that are helping that blueline or do you replace the pieces that aren't helping the blueline? Overhaul shouldn't mean "get rid of everyone" unless if you are completely blowing up your team. I actually think overhaul's not what we're doing at all and more of a bad wording of saying "improve defense".

No matter what, not signing Tanev creates a big hole to fill. The main concern really with him is cap space. We'll see what happens there I think. Letting him try free agency doesn't mean we can't sign him still. It might be for less money even than otherwise if it's discovered no team's really willing to cough up what he was hoping. It's a strategy game in the end all of this. ;)

That being said, if Tanev signs elsewhere, he signs elsewhere and that frees up space for someone else.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Would be great to have Tanev back, if the contract is manageable. Schultz just got 4M x 2yrs. Different type of player but Tanev could be in a similar range, except maybe 3-4 years. That's about where I'd be at.

It would be great to have him back on a manageable deal, but the team still needs to improve from there. Both on the blueline & now upfront if Toffoli signs elsewhere. 

19 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If you have a start of a good blueline, do you get rid of the pieces that are helping that blueline or do you replace the pieces that aren't helping the blueline? Overhaul shouldn't mean "get rid of everyone" unless if you are completely blowing up your team. I actually think overhaul's not what we're doing at all and more of a bad wording of saying "improve defense".

No matter what, not signing Tanev creates a big hole to fill. The main concern really with him is cap space. We'll see what happens there I think. Letting him try free agency doesn't mean we can't sign him still. It might be for less money even than otherwise if it's discovered no team's really willing to cough up what he was hoping. It's a strategy game in the end all of this. ;)

That being said, if Tanev signs elsewhere, he signs elsewhere and that frees up space for someone else.

K so IMO if you bring back the exact same top 4 as the year before, a top 4 that wasn’t all that good, without at least making one change, you are going to have a similar if not worse result the next year. I know Tanev is a warrior and all that rah rah but he’s 30, his body has had a lot of mileage, he’s typically only good for 50-60 games, and chances are his best days are behind him. That being said, I’m not opposed to bringing him back for a couple years on a team friendly deal if the Canucks can’t find a suitable replacement. Fact remains Benning has to improve this defense before the team takes another step forwards. 

Edited by Pickly
  • Cheers 1