The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Canuck fans think Benning is a great GM?

Rate this topic

fanfor42

Do Canucks fans vote Benning is a great GM  

262 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You realize this is just the beginning of our window right? And Miller is still young and a big part of that window... 

MIller had a fantastic career season this year. Turns 28 next season..  signed for 2 more years.

The deal is really helping the Canucks right now for sure.

I wonder who will be chosen with the pick.   My fav 20th overall is probably Mardy Brodeur.... 

Like i said the deal was about winning now instead of winning later.   I am not a fan of trading first round picks... unless it gets the club a cup. Time will tell.   MIller for sure had an amazing year though to at least JB was right on that. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/3/2020 at 1:16 PM, AriGold2.0 said:

8.25M for the 2nd best defenseman is NOT GOOD..

We can't afford him, it's too much term and too much money during covid cap.

Yes he is a very good player now and would make our team better

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, Baggins said:

I beg to differ...

Standings.thumb.png.11d45b9e17640945b746e9d7e32c2c21.png

Playoff are based on points over a full schedule. Even point percentages are skewed due to loser points

This  just shows that the Canucks were lucky the games stopped when they did, one more loss and where would they have been? .557 and below Minnesota. Or if other teams had one less loss? This was a fluke year, 24 teams, seven teams eliminated from play some teams played the bottom teams an uneven amount.

This year was a one off, next year they miss.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, Baggins said:
On 10/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, Lazurus said:

But even they admitted later that they had not told the fans the truth and that Tortorella was right, later they used the same words to say the same thing to a fanfare. The fan change in attitude mirrored the cahnge in the way the media portrayed those words, same as now, media leads and fans follow.

No idea what you're babbling about there. How about a link to an article. Some actual quotes

Don't YOU know how to use a computer? How about you find something that disputes my post? Something that is the opposite?

Sorry for the spelling error, Fan reactions were led by media portrayal, media says bad, fans say bad, media says good, fans say good.

12 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Playoff are based on points over a full schedule. Even point percentages are skewed due to loser points

This  just shows that the Canucks were lucky the games stopped when they did, one more loss and where would they have been? .557 and below Minnesota.

As the season ended with some teams having played more games the Canucks we were in the 7th playoffs spot when it ended. There's no what if's there. It's simply the way it was in the standings. "What if" they went on a 5 game winning streak? See how easy that is. Reality versus fantasy.

12 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Don't YOU know how to use a computer? How about you find something that disputes my post? Something that is the opposite?

Sorry for the spelling error, Fan reactions were led by media portrayal, media says bad, fans say bad, media says good, fans say good.

Not the way it works. You make claims, it's up to you to back it up with evidence. Otherwise it's just babble.

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 2

On 10/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, Westcoasting said:

Until a GM wins multiple cups... he is just a GM.

Wouldn't say it's that extreme but how this 6-year tenure could be considered "great" is beyond me.

I guess 50+ years of no Cup and not much success in general relatively speaking breeds low expectations.

Edited by kanucks25

Hard to choose between two huge extremes. I'll go with great as we have certainly drafted well and have  a better prospect pool & young players than I can recall. With that said there are some albatross contracts he's responsible for that haven't worked out and potentially jeopardize those prospects moving forward.

I would say benning has learned 

he got dealt a bad BAD hand as Mike Gillis was horrible

so far he has done what he has said he would, just again a couple bad contracts 

besides that we have a team that in the next three years should be one of the best in the league

he also drafts VERY well which this team needed

So I think he's a decent GM. He's good at some things (like drafting) and needs to learn when it comes to contracts. That being said, we haven't seen another Loui Eriksson deal done since that deal took place so I think he did learn from that.

A good comparison might be Poile in Nashville. He's been the GM there since Nashville came into the league. Nashville wasn't a good team for the longest time, missing the playoffs in the first 5 seasons and not even making the 2nd round until their 12th season. However, Nashville's been a very good team since.

You can't expect a GM to immediately be a good GM with no experience as head GM. Just look around the league at the inexperienced GMs that come and go. Look at the mess Chayka left in the desert. Look at the mess Gillis left behind on our own team. It's not an easy job.

• Vintage 1

I think his early mistakes are coming to haunt us now. Now we're losing out on valuable assets (Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev) for absolutely nothing, simply because he signed bottom 6 forwards to expensive deals (Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle). It'll be exciting to be a Canucks fan the next couple seasons with cap freeing up, but it hurts to lose guys that could push us into the Playoffs. 

Hate to say it, but with the loss of Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev (unless something drastic happens), we aren't making the playoffs next year. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I think his early mistakes are coming to haunt us now. Now we're losing out on valuable assets (Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev) for absolutely nothing, simply because he signed bottom 6 forwards to expensive deals (Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle). It'll be exciting to be a Canucks fan the next couple seasons with cap freeing up, but it hurts to lose guys that could push us into the Playoffs. 

Hate to say it, but with the loss of Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev (unless something drastic happens), we aren't making the playoffs next year. 

due to covid we have a flat cap, nobody and i mean all the gm's could not have foreseen this happening, Roussel, Beagle and Sutter helped us in the play offs this year, otherwise we probably would not have made it this far.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, cripplereh said:

I would say benning has learned 

he got dealt a bad BAD hand as Mike Gillis was horrible

so far he has done what he has said he would, just again a couple bad contracts 

besides that we have a team that in the next three years should be one of the best in the league

he also drafts VERY well which this team needed

I agree, he is learning as he goes..to bad it is at the expense of our  LIFE Span lol

aging matt damon GIF

3 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Hard to blame Benning for Covid. Lol. I mean, how was he supposed to predict the cap wouldn't go up cause of a pandemic grabbing the world by the nuts? 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Hard to blame Benning for Covid. Lol. I mean, how was he supposed to predict the cap wouldn't go up cause of a pandemic grabbing the world by the nuts? 

Nobody blames him for Covid, but contracts for Roussel, Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson are anchors.

• Cheers 3

37 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Nobody blames him for Covid, but contracts for Roussel, Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson are anchors.

They look worse cause of Covid. They'd be easier to move out if the cap went up like everyone expected it to. But now no one has cap, those that do are being especially careful not to spend it cause there's no telling when the Cap will actually go up again. The VGK can't convince anyone to take Flower at 50% retained for a 2nd round pick. They can't move a Cup champion at 50% retained. Why? Cause cap is that valuable right now.

Benning signed those contracts thinking the cap would go up and if need be they can be moved to a team with some minor assets. There are analysts saying Benning has been talking other GMs ears off since the playoffs ended about moving out cap. They are only anchors cause Covid took a dump on the world and everyone is penny pinching their cap space cause it's more valuable than it's ever been. I truly believe if Covid did not happen we could have found a buyer for some of those contracts.