The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] St. Louis is considering filing a tampering charge towards Vegas

42 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Benning only got a small fine for his two charges of tampering 

Depends what level it was on. Talking about other players is one thing, if they actively tried to discuss contract details prior to when they should have that’s different. 

Be interesting to see what comes of this, although I expect not much 

• Cheers 1

My guess is Vegas made it clear to teams they were trying to dump players to that the deals were pending Pietrangelo signing. That is technically tampering to let a player know you are going to make a big push for them even if it is kinda indirectly. 

Edited by peaches5

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

My guess is Vegas made it clear to teams they were trying to dump players to that the deals were pending Pietrangelo signing. That is technically tampering to let a player know you are going to make a big push for them even if it is kinda indirectly. 

How was Pietrangelo supposed to know that VGK was the one trying to make space to sign him, and not the other teams like Vancouver BEFORE the UFA period?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

If they end up receiving a penalty (fine, draft pick), they'll be absolutely fine. Terrific talent on the club, competitive, expansion exempt, a city where nearly all free agents want to play right now, and an owner who's other business' (specifically wine business) has not been hit by Covid and has only made more money, has made Vegas a club that will continue to spend money and be competitive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Columbus did the same thing though

Interesting to see how this plays out. Given the profile of the player, and the fact the “tampering” was successful as the Pietrangelo signing actually happened, I’d imagine the punishment would be on the higher end.

Maybe similar (or even higher) than the 1994 NJD/STL tampering case with Stevens, where the result was a first round pick being given to the Devils, plus some $1.4 million in cash, and another first swapped between the teams (with the Devils getting the better pick).

That’s assuming they actually prove wrongdoing, of course.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

We have yet to see what the actual charge is.  There is always backchannel discussions... that is why players can sign contracts for millions of dollars 5 minutes after free agency opens.

It isn’t technically tampering to have a “vague” discussion with an agent saying “we plan on looking for a top end RD this offseason, what do you think the market price for one of those types of players will be?”  Everyone knows they are talking Pietrangelo, but they aren’t “really” talking about him.  That is how those “not quite” negotiations happen pretty regularly.  If Vegas didn’t do anything more obvious than that, it probably comes to nothing except the losing team being salty.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

We have yet to see what the actual charge is.  There is always backchannel discussions... that is why players can sign contracts for millions of dollars 5 minutes after free agency opens.

It isn’t technically tampering to have a “vague” discussion with an agent saying “we plan on looking for a top end RD this offseason, what do you think the market price for one of those types of players will be?”  Everyone knows they are talking Pietrangelo, but they aren’t “really” talking about him.  That is how those “not quite” negotiations happen pretty regularly.  If Vegas didn’t do anything more obvious than that, it probably comes to nothing except the losing team being salty.

There used to be a discussion period of 5 days before players signed, that's why there was signings 5 minutes after it opened. That was not this case this year, however. 

I hope Vegas gets charged. They have had way too many things handed to them freely since being in the league. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Boest-er said:

What would be the supposed penalties for Vegas if this goes forward?

JB got a fined for tampering a few years ago. They probably get something similar or nothing as the league could always say there isn't "clear and conclusive evidence" to this accusation.