The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Adam Gaudette

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Is that according to CapFriendly?  If yes, then they are showing about $1.05M in space with the cap hits of all three players you mentioned counted.  Their numbers also include Jack Rathbone at $0.925M so subtracting him bumps up cap space to about $2M.  If management demotes Eriksson and Baertschi (not Benn), then unless I'm mistaken, the Canucks should have $1.075M of cap savings for each of them which bumps up their cap space to about $2.45M factoring in bonuses and overages.

Assuming Virtanen is signing for $2M to $2.45M, the Canucks might not need to make a trade to fit him but they also won't be able to afford to keep a 21 person roster unless they demote someone like Benn.  If the Canucks intend to tinker with the roster any more, then they have to make a trade.

Assuming Jake gets signed for 2.5 (maybe he takes less on a 1 year deal). Rathbone or OJ will be in, so that's a wash. That puts us roughly 1.5 million over. Bury Baertschi and we are about 500k over. Buyout Sutter to save 2.3 million. Add Jayce Hawryluk (Marc Michaelis would be fighting for this spot as well along with Jasek surely), and we have 1 million left to sign (Koekkoek could be had for under a million most likely)/call up another dman to put us at 14 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies. Any prospect that beats out LE or Benn can be accommodated by sending them down. The lower we spend on Jake, the more we can invest in that bottom pairing RD (but as we can see, we couldn't afford what Stecher was asking for).

While it'll be nice to trade out cap rather than buyout, it's not impossible to accomplish without a trade that could cost us assets.

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Some people really haven't been paying attention to what's happening. Can't wait for the fears of $10m+ contracts for Hughes and Pettersson to come in WAY lower lol

Things could work out quite well for us in the short term.  Whereas the Leafs are saddled with 4 forwards making $40mil, we'll likely sign them to bridges in the $6-8mil range.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Why did they go with 950,000? Why not sign for 1,000,000? tax implications? What's the deal with this price amount?

Odd to ask why a player didn't get more money. Usually it's the other way around.

In a flat cap, best to save money anywhere you can. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Odd to ask why a player didn't get more money. Usually it's the other way around.

In a flat cap, best to save money anywhere you can. 

The difference between this is only 50,000 - hardly anything that would result in a cap overflow.

Looking at capfriendly, i think it has something to do with the contract structure, and bonuses. 950,000 is a common signing price for RFAs, from what I see. But thanks for giving me the confuse emote in the original post anyway. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The difference between this is only 50,000 - hardly anything that would result in a cap overflow.

Looking at capfriendly, i think it has something to do with the contract structure, and bonuses. 950,000 is a common signing price for RFAs, from what I see. But thanks for giving me the confuse emote in the original post anyway. :rolleyes:

I just find it strange that someone would advocate for the Canucks to spend more money on a player.

Yes only 50k, but every little bit helps. Depending on what Benning does and how much Virtanen signs for, we very well could end up with less than 50k to spare.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic. I honestly had him pegged around 1.5 per. Mostly cause teams tend to overpay for offensive production. Gaudette still has some work to do. I don't believe in his upside as much as others do. But he could be a legit 3rd line talent if he keeps working on his game. He battled towards the end of the playoffs. I was really impressed. We really need him to pan out as a 3rd line center. Unless Big Mac can find another level to his game. But I doubt that.

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Assuming Jake gets signed for 2.5 (maybe he takes less on a 1 year deal). Rathbone or OJ will be in, so that's a wash. That puts us roughly 1.5 million over. Bury Baertschi and we are about 500k over. Buyout Sutter to save 2.3 million. Add Jayce Hawryluk (Marc Michaelis would be fighting for this spot as well along with Jasek surely), and we have 1 million left to sign (Koekkoek could be had for under a million most likely)/call up another dman to put us at 14 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies. Any prospect that beats out LE or Benn can be accommodated by sending them down. The lower we spend on Jake, the more we can invest in that bottom pairing RD (but as we can see, we couldn't afford what Stecher was asking for).

While it'll be nice to trade out cap rather than buyout, it's not impossible to accomplish without a trade that could cost us assets.

Fair points though I believe the Canucks will stick with past practice of 13 F, 8 D and 2 goalies.

So long as Haula and Soderberg are UFAs, it does seem like the Canucks are on a path to buying out Sutter.

I think makes more sense to offer up LE with $2.5 retained as he then is essentially free and leaves $3.5 in cap. 
Tough as no-one likely even wants him for free even teams in full tank mode. 
Even free I suspect would cost as a decent pic or prospect. 
I don’t like buying out Sutter as it costs us cap after next season where we will need ca- space even more than this off-season. 

5 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Things could work out quite well for us in the short term.  Whereas the Leafs are saddled with 4 forwards making $40mil, we'll likely sign them to bridges in the $6-8mil range.

I would expect the contracts for Petey and Huggy next summer to be short term bridge deals in the $7-$7.5 million range.  With a flat cap and COVID there won't be much roomfor negotiation.  It really will work well for us with this flat cap at least for the next few years.  Poor Toronto, always buying high and selling low.  Their timing always sucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1