The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Adam Gaudette

50 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Probably right about the 1 yr deal so Gaud cant be grab by Seattle.

as like most here I believe Gaud is getting better and better.

good signing Jimbo

17516D40-649B-4E13-B86F-9DA516C8F16B.jpeg

Gaudette will be an RFA, he could still be taken and his rights would go to them which likely means they sign him. It's not like he's a UFA and could simply say no thanks to a contract offer like what we are doing with Edler.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Schmidt took 88.

Is that “for sure” Theo?

Just an FYI ..

Schmidt wore 29 for the U of Minnesota..  and #2  for the Hershey Bears.

88 happened when he started with the Capitals apparently.

seems like he would take 88,. Just curious.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Is that “for sure” Theo?

Just an FYI ..

Schmidt wore 29 for the U of Minnesota..  and #2  for the Hershey Bears.

88 happened when he started with the Capitals apparently.

seems like he would take 88,. Just curious.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm not going to suggest that he will be dealt....(or even that I'd 'want' him to be...)

But if they were to deal him, as, for example, a principal in a deal for a guy like Foote (or other young RHD) ..then, this is a nice moveable Covid context cap hit.

you got a foote fetish eh oldnews, but yeah that would be decent, even though it would suck too lose guad, need some size in our D corp.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

you got a foote fetish eh oldnews, but yeah that would be decent, even though it would suck too lose guad, need some size in our D corp.

I'd also be looking at Timmins in Colorado.  As much as I like Gaud, I'm not opposed to a hockey trade for a defenseman with some size in the same age group.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Now, let's get Virtanen done for 1.75.... ;)

Never get Virtanen for under 2.5 million... Already several players signed for 2.5 to 3.0 million with similar numbers as Jake.. So 2.5 would be a deal at this point...

Edited by wildcam

Would be nice to lock him up long term at some point but we just don't know how good he's going to be yet. One year deals until he consistently gets some NHL production but I worry if he breaks out this season, we'll struggle to sign all our young guys. Lots of money off the books but if Gaudette hits 20 goals and 50 points we have to pay the kid.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would be nice to lock him up long term at some point but we just don't know how good he's going to be yet. One year deals until he consistently gets some NHL production but I worry if he breaks out this season, we'll struggle to sign all our young guys. Lots of money off the books but if Gaudette hits 20 goals and 50 points we have to pay the kid.

Which is likely why Gaud wouldn't have agreed to more than one year.  Prefer this to what we did with Hutton and Stecher, with the qualifying offer ending up being too high.

• Thanks 1

Nice contract.

Reality is he has a lot of improving to do. Harman mentioned he was the most sheltered forward in the league and analytically his stats were terrible.

On an eye test, he needs to take major steps defensively and start to become a PKer if he is to complete our team build.

Rooting for the kid to prove me wrong and take major steps this year!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Nice contract.

Reality is he has a lot of improving to do. Harman mentioned he was the most sheltered forward in the league and analytically his stats were terrible.

On an eye test, he needs to take major steps defensively and start to become a PKer if he is to complete our team build.

Rooting for the kid to prove me wrong and take major steps this year!

I agree, I think he may be redundant if he can’t alter his game a bit. Not that he’s a bad player or that it’s a bad signing. I just think that he isn’t going to supplant Petey or Bo, then he either needs to learn the d side of center, shift to LW, or get moved for someone else.

I wish him the best no matter the outcome, love having this guy in our lineup.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I agree, I think he may be redundant if he can’t alter his game a bit. Not that he’s a bad player or that it’s a bad signing. I just think that he isn’t going to supplant Petey or Bo, then he either needs to learn the d side of center, shift to LW, or get moved for someone else.

I wish him the best no matter the outcome, love having this guy in our lineup.

I kinda hope Green puts him on L2 RW with Bo and Pearson. I think it would help him with his overall defensive game learning from those two, plus I also wanna see how much his production increases. 33pts in 59gp on the third line is pretty decent.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Jake for sure. More size and speed and is showing a progression towards 20 goals. 

A 950k 0.5 PPG young C vs a ? in cost, streaky player. 
I think I know a safe bet when I see one.

But value-wise or trade value-wise... I think it’s probably JV, but with some ifs and buts, which AG doesn’t require, IMO. 

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Which is likely why Gaud wouldn't have agreed to more than one year.  Prefer this to what we did with Hutton and Stecher, with the qualifying offer ending up being too high.

It wasn't really the qualifying offer the issue but the potential arbitration award.  They both had a case to get more than their worth on the open market.  Gaudette will have arbitration rights in a year and could file.  This year his production would have warranted an award a fair bit higher than the 950K he took.    

• Cheers 2