The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Trebek Passes at Age 80, Pancreatic Cancer

Warhippy

9 minutes ago, LesPaul81 said:

So sad.  I've watched Jeopardy as often as possible for twenty years.  I can't imagine another host of the show.  He was such a great man, RIP Mr. Trebek.  Thanks for entertaining so many generations of my family.

This. No matter who it ends up being, it's just going to look wrong.

I wonder what the odds are on Johnny Gilbert screwing up the intro....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, x00x said:

This was another great alex moment, and he had alittle tickle in his throat :( the guy lost unpurpose to show alex some love

One of those rare genuinely human moments you see on TV. Watching it now with the knowledge of his passing it just about brings a tear to my eye. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Seems sudden. Didn't he 'beat' it some months ago. 

He had a good prognosis but it's one of those cancers that almost no one beats whether young or old. You mostly just buy time. :( 

RIP Alex.  

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Pancreatic cancer is hard to beat, it's also extremely painful. My papa was given a few years when it was discovered he had it, he deteriorated quickly over seven months. 

Rest in power Alex, you don't have to suffer anymore. Thanks for making memories for so many. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Did anyone watch 20/20 last night....a tribute to Alex?   It was so moving....he was even better than what we knew of him.  Such a charitable, modest, dignified, admirable man.  He liked his privacy so we knew little of him beyond what we saw on TV.  But he was just a good guy, through and through.  Family man with such a huge sense of decency.  Loved to do his own renos.  Loved to read/learn and interacted with the Jeopardy audience by having a question and answer period where he was just so open and welcoming.  He was so brave through it all...was really suffering behind the scenes at times.  In tears, writhing in pain but when Johnny Gilbert introduced him, he switched to go mode and hid it all.   Truly a sad loss for humanity.

• Huggy Bear 1

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it shows an almost perfect sense of kismet.....

Because Jeopardy is taped, Trebek managed to have enough episodes "in the can" to keep the show going with him as it's host, for another month and a half. His final appearance with be on Dec 25th:

https://ew.com/tv/alex-trebek-final-jeopardy-episode-to-air-christmas-day/

One last Christmas gift from Alex to the world.....

• Cheers 1

This is the farewell message Alex wanted to, but apparently, wasn't able to give his fans:

Trebek had planned a farewell message he never got to give, however: In December 2019, he told ABC News that he knew what he wanted to say during his last episode, whenever it came. He said he’d only need 30 seconds.

“It’ll be a significant moment for me,” he said in that interview. “But I’ve kind of, in my mind, rehearsed it already, and what I would do on that day is tell the director, ‘Time the show down to leave me 30 seconds at the end. That’s all I want.’ And I will say my goodbyes and I will tell people, ‘Don’t ask me who’s going to replace me because I have no say whatsoever. But I’m sure that if you give them the same love and attention and respect that you have shown me ... then they will be a success and the show will continue being a success. And until we meet again, God bless you and goodbye.”

Exactly like we would have expected....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1