The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Orca.

Rate this topic

BoKnows

4 minutes ago, Davathor said:

How about we change team to the Vancouver Squares

I was going to suggest "The Vancouver players of hockey whom glide on steel mechanisms attached to their feet", but then would the steel manufacturers come after us?

But wait, Vancouver is named after English Captain George Vancouver, who upon arrival here claimed indigenous lands for England. That's offensive. 

How about "The players of hockey from the largest city on the western coast of this land that we unrightfully claimed as our own"  WIth TPOHFTLCOTWCOTLTWUCAOO as an acronym word mark on the totally while jersey?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

As a Caucasian of the human race, I'm offended that the Away team jerseys are mostly white - they should make it a colour that no person's skin looks like! 

Purple?

'Retire the orca', says Indigenous historian who calls Vancouver Canucks logo cultural appropriation:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/15/vancouver-canucks-orca-indigenous/

How about Johnny Canuck?  Or will that offend the environmentalists and if so - do we care?  LOL

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't disagree but at what point do habitually offended people move on and live their lives. Once this passes they’ll move on to the next thing that “offends” them and frankly it's tiring at best now. 

late to the discussion here.. 

has it been established who is offended? legit first nations complaints or simply virtue signaling from white sjw's? 

reason I ask - I know a handful of first nation people, all of which roll their eyes at this kind of stuff

47 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

late to the discussion here.. 

has it been established who is offended? legit first nations complaints or simply virtue signaling from white sjw's? 

reason I ask - I know a handful of first nation people, all of which roll their eyes at this kind of stuff

Every complaint I’ve seen is from white sjw’s. I’m FN myself and neither the logo or mask bother me one bit. 

• Cheers 3

I prefer the skate or the stick to the Orca, so I’d be on board with a change.

The Canucks could be doing far more with Indigenous partners. It’s a missed opportunity. How about a recognition of traditional territory before the game? Winnipeg does it. We’re on lots of unceded territory here. And yeah, either invite local Nations to help redesign the Orca logo or scrap it. The phrase “Nothing about us without us,” applies.

Those who generally shrug this stuff off and make light of it, these are folks who lived privileged lives who haven’t been impacted in minority ways. I’ve lived a fairly privileged life, but not blind to see why this kind of thing does actually matter. 

7 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Canucks fans still can’t agree on what logo or colour scheme the team should go with. Comforting to know that some things in this world never change. :lol:

Thats what happens when management is confused as hell and changes the team logo every few years... 

you get very psychologically damaged children

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Rubik said:

i bet even if the logo is completely redesigned by a native artist, that's ok for now, but a couple of years from now somebody will be offended by that too (who knows why...), so i think it's better to completely ditch this design and just either go back to the stick in rink or come up with a completely non-offensive new, SIMPLE design (like the lightning, sharks, etc)

i wonder if the name "canucks" will ever be scrutinized; as i understand back then it was used in a derogatory manner...

I'd be thrilled if we just went back to the stick in rink personally.

But if we did go with something new, may I suggest 'appropriating' the old Whaler logo? Arguably the best sports logo revert created.

Make the tail more orca shaped and creating a V coming out of the 'water'. Done.

1200px-Hartford_Whalers_Logo-79-92.svg.p

Edited by aGENT

No, please make this madness stop. The Cleveland Indians name was incorrect, the first North American settlers thought they were in India hence the name but the logo was very clearly racist. Redskins name was very racist. There's nothing racist about the Canucks logo and is not comparable to the Cleveland Indians and Washington racial slurs. And it's not cultural appropriation. Is the Minnesota Vikings cultural appropriation? Where are we going to draw the line? Japanese people don't lose their minds when non-Japanese artists draw anime inspired art. I am First Nations and the logo is fine. I would rather have the Skate, but that's not cause the current logo is offensive but cause I really love the color scheme and logo of the Skate.

• Cheers 2