The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Nothing in that article states that.

It says they are starting to do it and don’t have results yet.

They are also only testing people who voluntarily donate blood from a sample of 10,000.

It will give them a better idea on the numbers but it will still be far from an accurate representation. So many other factors involved like age range, health of the donors, and regions where the blood is taken.

Okay. So why do you believe that the Netherlands would be less accurate than other well-developed countries? The Netherlands ranks among the healthiest countries in the world. 

I have already stated in other posts that there are problems with relying on numbers/panicking without giving context to age/health/earlier health problems, etc. But, unless there is a good reason to believe that somehow the Netherlands is worse than other countries (underlying data says they are actually better), their numbers are atypical.

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Because they have the power to enforce it.

"Gave you a chance, now it's mandatory not a request"

And just who is going to enforce this?

In the real world, we only have enough police to continue to deal with domestic abuse and mental health calls.  What do you propose? Honestly I want to know. And what is the penalty? A fine? Jail (we have barely any jail space).

This  are going to get worse for quite some time.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I don't think you're understanding things. 

Don't give me that bs I understand the situation completely.  If it's so contagious that people must distance themselves 2ft outside than we should all be on lockdown.  I have not left my place in 2weeks now with the execption of work and getting food, I know the risks and what's at stake.  Every business that is open whether essential or not is violating this measure.  

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

If the government tells people to stay away from people, but people still mingle with people; why is that the governments fault?

Because their first priority is to protect the public(from ourselves unfortunately).  Again every business that's open at some point has two coworkers that violate this measure.

Look at what's happening, instead of a lockdown most of us were clamoring for more than a week ago we're getting baby steps in terms of the government pussy footing around.  Oh we'll let restaurants operate as long as people maintain a safe distance than a day later they shut them down.  If and when we finally get all non essential businesses to shut down it'll be too late.

This is a long, but interesting article about how differing countries are dealing with the virus.  It's kind a scary read, but has a positive outcome if we all band together and follow the protocols.  I think our governments are on the right track, but will probably  have to  'use the hammer' method ie State of Emergency - Marshal Law to force the Covidiots to follow the protocols.  It is all about slowing down the infection rate and providing more time for the health supplies and healthcare teams/facilities to catch up; as well as an eventual vaccine to be made available.  May our wonderful country reach 'the dance' soon, just as other nations have already achieved. 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

virus.jpg

this is from yesterday? or the day before ?

the usa stats are so troubling

they are exploding exponentially

the daily increases are astronomical

they are currently 20x canada (should only be 10x)

and this will get much much worse down there

Edited by coastal.view

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They just interviewed the dumbest infected doorknob of a human being.  I'm sorry, but I'm pissed.

"It looks weird [gigglegiggle] to stand 6 feet apart". 

She doesn't want to look weird.  So she opts to look/act like a selfish, brainless twat.  Good job, girl.  Endanger those people so you can look cool.

Yea saw that clip, my wife and I just rolled our eyes.  What can you do though? These kids parents should be talking to them but they aren't obviously because they don't care.  Unless its for work/grocery store I know we are bunkered down at home.  I would love to take my son to see his aunt/uncle in whiterock and see the seagulls and sand but we aren't doing it, we aren't going to parks, etc.  Theres only so much fun stuff you can do with a 2 year old.  Going out was the fun part to see stuff, not like we can play games like a 6 year old could so it just sucks right now.

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Okay. So why do you believe that the Netherlands would be less accurate than other well-developed countries? The Netherlands ranks among the healthiest countries in the world. 

I have already stated in other posts that there are problems with relying on numbers/panicking without giving context to age/health/earlier health problems, etc. But, unless there is a good reason to believe that somehow the Netherlands is worse than other countries (underlying data says they are actually better), their numbers are atypical.

It’s already been stated that they took a much more wait and see approach to the pandemic. 

And considering they’re just starting to do widespread testing I don’t know how any of their numbers would be accurate.

Its not just about the Netherlands either, most countries are still trying to figure out the scale of this spread. Since testing could not possibly keep up to the new number of cases. Therefore throwing out percentages right now is both premature and reckless to do. Health care experts and scientists are still in the studying phase of this thing.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

Proof? 

My friend who is a nurse been testing people 50 hours this past week alone 

I have had the symptoms for a week. Called 811 twice and they WILL NOT test unless you answer "yea" to knowing someone who already tested positive and you had direct contact with them. Ridiculous.

Then the rules were changed a bit and some emergency services workers were supposed to be able to get tested. I again called and they told me for a third time they would not test me. Pathetic. And I have co-workers in the same position.

So yes, I have proof from my own and my co-workers situations that the government and medical system were totally unprepared for this and either are short on tests or short on staff to perform those tests.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Therefore throwing out percentages right now is both premature and reckless to do. Health care experts and scientists are still in the studying phase of this thing.

The percentages and numbers being used are the only numbers available at this time.

Without these numbers and percentages being used some people will say " It is only .0002% of the people getting sick and only .00004 of them are dying".

Fortunately we have some actual  numbers that say the previous in quotations sentence is pure b.s.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

The percentages and numbers being used are the only numbers available at this time.

Without these numbers and percentages being used some people will say " It is only .0002% of the people getting sick and only .00004 of them are dying".

Fortunately we have some actual  numbers that say the previous in quotations sentence is pure b.s.

Yea but these stats only mean something if they’re accurate.

Scaring people into thinking that 4% of people who get it die is not the right thing to do at this time.

Only time will tell what the actual number is, but for now it doesn’t change the fact that we need to take serious measures to help minimize the death toll.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but these stats only mean something if they’re accurate.

Scaring people into thinking that 4% of people who get it die is not the right thing to do at this time.

Only time will tell what the actual number is, but for now it doesn’t change the fact that we need to take serious measures to help minimize the death toll.

too vague

bc medical authorities have a better detailed plan

i'd suggest following their lead