The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol...I'm supposed to feel sorry for a dude that owns two condos strictly as an investment.  Probably rents them out as Airbnb.  I'll donate him some tissues for him to cry in.

I was thinking the same thing as he was saying (yelling) it.

Hey buddy, if you can afford to carry two mortgages in the LM, nobody feels an iota of sympathy for you.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So these new numbers include the chicken shack? Someone mentioned yesterday those cases were included in yesterday's numbers. 

Yes, they should be part of today's numbers.  27 (I think one was reported earlier).

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

New cases:  71

Total:  1,795

VCH: 745

FH. 747

VI. 110

Int. 153
North. 40

Outbreaks!  3 new ones in ltc facilities (all in Fraser Health)

20 ongoing outbreaks in ltc/assisted living

4 long term outbreaks that were active are now over (FH)

77 cases Mission Correctional. 5 inmates in hospital

28 cases - poultry processing plant

103 hospitalized

46 in ICU

1,079 fully recovered

3 additional deaths :( (all in ltc)

Total:  90

The new community outbreaks are of concern and mean we have more work to do in breaking chains of transmission.  We can't afford weaknesses in our firewall...it's why we have to keep going with this.  It's not yet time to let the guard down because it will undo all we've done.

So many good analogies out there:  not finishing antibiotics because "you feel better".  The rate of descent has slowed, cut the parachute off.

Also...Dr. Bonnie got teary and emotional at the end while addressing her friends in NS.  She's a wonderful human being.

I wonder if this uptick is a result of people ignoring social distancing guidelines for Easter? I guess we'll know the full result in another week or so? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-pushes-back-against-cdc-directors-warning-about-coronavirus-second-wave

Trump adamantly argued that the coronavirus would not come back in the fall with the same virulence that has this spring – saying that at most it would be “the embers” of the virus the country will have to deal with when the next flu season begins.

Translation: Get your shovel and start digging your underground shelters now.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dungass said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-pushes-back-against-cdc-directors-warning-about-coronavirus-second-wave

Trump adamantly argued that the coronavirus would not come back in the fall with the same virulence that has this spring – saying that at most it would be “the embers” of the virus the country will have to deal with when the next flu season begins.

Hopefully he's referring to himself.  Just a smouldering ember after he's doused.

The fact that he feels he can predict anything when health experts and scientists don't is true testament to his enormous ego.  He knows everything.  It's a very scary thing to have someone steering the ship around icebergs at full throttle.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I wonder if this uptick is a result of people ignoring social distancing guidelines for Easter? I guess we'll know the full result in another week or so? 

My guess is yes.  Which shows what happens when the guard is let down.  Imagine opening things up how that'll look.  Glad they've shut down the PNE and other crowded events and venues.  It could be disastrous in the Fall if these things were allowed to take place.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

Well, he was right about the virus disappearing by April so the stable genius must be right about this. #Covidiotinchief

Edited by Wilbur
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My guess is yes.  Which shows what happens when the guard is let down.  Imagine opening things up how that'll look.  Glad they've shut down the PNE and other crowded events and venues.  It could be disastrous in the Fall if these things were allowed to take place.

heh, remember how you knew rain season was here?  It's PNE season!   What we need is a good dose of rainy days to keep people isolated.:lol:

• Cheers 1

Could the uptick be in part due to the change in testing?  I think we're now testing people who want a test as long as they are referred by a doctor?  I thought we changed that recently from just testing more specifically?  

Could be a combination of all things I suppose.  I go more by the hospitalization numbers to feel better/worse about how things are going as that number is a consistent measure.  So far that number seems to be declining.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Uptick will also have to do with them allowing anyone to get tested now.  Before it was very specific individuals who could and couldn't get tested.  You essentially had to have a lot of trouble breathing for the hospital to test you, if not they sent you away.  On Monday they opened up the testing so that more of the public could get tested now if needed and with that more open testing you will have more people trying to get tested and the numbers will rise.  The big thing will be hospitalizations and ICUs, as long as they stay down and at levels that hospitals can manage effectively then we are doing well.  The big vast number of cases is almost an irrelevant number as long as most don't get critically ill and end up at the hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1