The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

45 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

yeah man, I mean no disrespect to Stawns and he's a great hockey mind. That's why I'm here. I'm insensitive towards personal struggles while we fight this thing off. Sue me. :sadno: I have no money. :rolleyes:

Is your aunt still with us?

I didn't take offense, no worries.

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Vancouver yoga studio turns away customers who want to wear face masks, says patron

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/vancouver-yoga-studio-turns-away-customers-who-want-to-wear-face-masks-says-patron/ar-BB16rVDa?ocid=eventhub

A Vancouver yoga studio is turning away customers who want to wear a face mask during class, says a woman who was told to take hers off at the studio.

Bikram Yoga-Commercial Drive says those who want to wear masks should not practise at their location, according to an employee who answered the phone when CBC called. 

Next possible place for an outbreak.  Supposedly taking all necessary Covid-19 precautions but not masks.

What's their logic behind this? (Doubt there is any)!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Vancouver yoga studio turns away customers who want to wear face masks, says patron

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/vancouver-yoga-studio-turns-away-customers-who-want-to-wear-face-masks-says-patron/ar-BB16rVDa?ocid=eventhub

A Vancouver yoga studio is turning away customers who want to wear a face mask during class, says a woman who was told to take hers off at the studio.

Bikram Yoga-Commercial Drive says those who want to wear masks should not practise at their location, according to an employee who answered the phone when CBC called. 

Next possible place for an outbreak.  Supposedly taking all necessary Covid-19 precautions but not masks.

I think the owner is the same idiot that thinks this is all a hoax and earlier on in the pandemic, actually went to a hospital to film what was going on.

• Cheers 1

U.S. leaves WHO.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/u-s-formally-withdraws-from-who-as-coronavirus-cases-continue-to-spike-reports/ar-BB16rwfV?ocid=msedgdhp

"

The United States has formally submitted its withdrawal from the World Health Organization amid a continuing spike in domestic cases of the coronavirus, American reports state.

Both CBS News and The Hill cite American officials in their reports that the U.S. has submitted its withdrawal paperwork to United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Gutteres."

"

The CBS News report says the withdrawal will take effect on July 6, 2021, while the report from The Hill says it will take effect on Monday.

U.S. Democratic Senator Bob Menendez also tweeted that Congress has received that notification.'

The withdrawal follows through on a threat by U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this year and comes as the country continues to see tens of thousands of new coronavirus cases each day.

The death toll in that country exceeds 130,800 individuals.

Another 2.9 million have been infected, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

READ MORE: China frustrated WHO by delaying coronavirus info, despite public praise: sources

Trump had threatened to make a temporary freeze on U.S. funding for the WHO permanent in May unless "substantive improvements" are made to the international organization.

Trump had also said at the time that unless those improvements were made, he would reconsider American membership in the WHO all together.

The WHO has come under heavy criticism over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Much of that criticism centres on the organization's reliance on Chinese coronavirus data and its early praise of that regime's response to the emerging crisis even as WHO officials privately expressed frustration with the lack of information sharing about the disease spread.

As the Associated Press reported in June, WHO officials praised China's handling in a bid to try to get it to share more information amid fears that what was being provided wasn't enough to let health officials do proper planning or response.

More to come.

56 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think the owner is the same idiot that thinks this is all a hoax and earlier on in the pandemic, actually went to a hospital to film what was going on.

The idiot you speak of is (was?) the owner of a studio in N. Delta that claimed  hot yoga killed the coronavirus so he was forced to shut down. I think it's still shut down, lol. I wonder if it's the same idiot?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/controversy-over-airborne-transmission-of-covid-19-a-tempest-in-a-teapot-dr-bonnie-henry-says/ar-BB16pPV5?ocid=msedgdhp

B.C.'s provincial health officer says the controversy over airborne transmission of COVID-19 has been overblown, after hundreds of scientists signed a letter calling for the World Health Organization to revise its recommendations.

In an open letter to the WHO, 239 scientists in 32 countries have reportedly argued particles smaller than what has previously been reported can carry the novel coronavirus and infect people. According to a story in the New York Times, those scientists want the global health body to begin treating COVID-19 as an airborne illness.

But Dr. Bonnie Henry suggested Monday that the letter was designed "to foment a bit of controversy," and the disagreement is part of an ongoing discussion about how coronaviruses and other illnesses like influenza are spread.

"I actually think it's a little bit of a tempest in a teapot in that we all agree on the extremes and we're fussing a little bit about how much we need to focus on the bits in the middle," Henry said during Monday's COVID-19 briefing.

With airborne viruses like the measles and smallpox, tiny disease-carrying particles can float in the air for hours, even travelling down hallways and through ventilation systems.

The WHO and Henry have maintained since the beginning of the pandemic that the coronavirus is spread through droplets expelled from the mouth and nose, which fall from the air comparatively quickly.

"We know that there's a gradation of how droplets come out when somebody coughs or sneezes or talks," Henry explained Monday.

WATCH | Scientists call on WHO to update guidance on airborne transmission of coronavirus:

"It is the smaller ones that can be breathed deep into the lungs, and it's the larger ones that can often be deposited up in the back of the throat or in the back of the lungs."

'It's not transmitted long distances'

The novel coronavirus appears to spread predominantly through larger droplets, according to Henry. She said that, generally, transmission of this virus requires more moisture and closer contact between people.

'It's not transmitted long distances in the air column. We're all on the same page about that," Henry said.

"Where there's a challenge is how much of it is transmitted through the small droplets that are transmitted when I'm close to you."

She said B.C.'s approach to COVID-19 depends on implementing several different layers of protection that prevent transmission of both small and large droplets. That includes several types of personal protective equipment in health-care settings, along with personal measures like physical distancing and masks in crowded settings.

"It is important to continue to look at the data, to look at where we're seeing transmission events and adapt if we need to and put in additional measures," Henry said.

That could include stricter rules around face masks.

"I really hope that this stimulates more innovation in things like more effective and easier to wear masks that we can use repeatedly that are much more effective," Henry said.

"It discourages me that we're here after SARS in 2003 and H1N1 in 2009 and we still don't have a decent fitting mask that can be used easily in all health-care settings."

32 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The idiot you speak of is (was?) the owner of a studio in N. Delta that claimed  hot yoga killed the coronavirus so he was forced to shut down. I think it's still shut down, lol. I wonder if it's the same idiot?

Thats right, that was the one in N. Delta.

38 minutes ago, gurn said:

U.S. leaves WHO.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/u-s-formally-withdraws-from-who-as-coronavirus-cases-continue-to-spike-reports/ar-BB16rwfV?ocid=msedgdhp

"

The United States has formally submitted its withdrawal from the World Health Organization amid a continuing spike in domestic cases of the coronavirus, American reports state.

Both CBS News and The Hill cite American officials in their reports that the U.S. has submitted its withdrawal paperwork to United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Gutteres."

"

The CBS News report says the withdrawal will take effect on July 6, 2021, while the report from The Hill says it will take effect on Monday.

U.S. Democratic Senator Bob Menendez also tweeted that Congress has received that notification.'

The withdrawal follows through on a threat by U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this year and comes as the country continues to see tens of thousands of new coronavirus cases each day.

The death toll in that country exceeds 130,800 individuals.

Another 2.9 million have been infected, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

READ MORE: China frustrated WHO by delaying coronavirus info, despite public praise: sources

Trump had threatened to make a temporary freeze on U.S. funding for the WHO permanent in May unless "substantive improvements" are made to the international organization.

Trump had also said at the time that unless those improvements were made, he would reconsider American membership in the WHO all together.

The WHO has come under heavy criticism over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Much of that criticism centres on the organization's reliance on Chinese coronavirus data and its early praise of that regime's response to the emerging crisis even as WHO officials privately expressed frustration with the lack of information sharing about the disease spread.

As the Associated Press reported in June, WHO officials praised China's handling in a bid to try to get it to share more information amid fears that what was being provided wasn't enough to let health officials do proper planning or response.

More to come.

What! :wacko:

Sure glad they still have Townsend and Daltrey.....:unsure:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

yeah man, I mean no disrespect to Stawns and he's a great hockey mind. That's why I'm here. I'm insensitive towards personal struggles while we fight this thing off. Sue me. :sadno: I have no money. :rolleyes:

Is your aunt still with us?

Last I heard yes. I'm pretty sure Covid wiping out the Vancouver Giants season sucks for her. She still refers them to "her boys". 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Another Vancouver strip club closed briefly due to COVID

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/another-vancouver-strip-club-closed-briefly-due-to-covid-1.5014779

So what's the tally in the last week or so, two strip clubs, one night club and a 7/11?

The next spike will not be nice.

PointlessFlickeringBluebottlejellyfish-size_restricted.gif.1e7c7ae1e73dc61bff8a65cb5bdecb0c.gif

Nah, its ok.  Nightclubs and bars are no different than going to the grocery store or eating out at a restaurant.  Am I right?  I mean its legal to blow off steam there because Dr. Henry says so right?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Nah, its ok.  Nightclubs and bars are no different than going to the grocery store or eating out at a restaurant.  Am I right?  I mean its legal to blow off steam there because Dr. Henry says so right?

Could be patrons with Covid-19 are visiting these establishments and passing it to others. 

Other than the 7/11, I would think patrons are there for at least 1 hour or more.  In an enclosed space with poor air circulation (recycled air?  I don't know).

With grocery stores, in and out under 30 min (for me at least).  Eating at restaurants are usually 1 hour but adequately social distancing. 

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Could be patrons with Covid-19 are visiting these establishments and passing it to others. 

Other than the 7/11, I would think patrons are there for at least 1 hour or more.  In an enclosed space with poor air circulation (recycled air?  I don't know).

With grocery stores, in and out under 30 min (for me at least).  Eating at restaurants are usually 1 hour but adequately social distancing. 

That's quite possible.  Having been to a lot of these clubs in my youth, I can attest to the poor ventilation.  But really what it comes down to is the activities at these clubs.  As I pointed out before, they were allowed to open as a lounge where patrons are required to sit at their own table of no more than 6 and not move around and mingle.  I suspect that enforcement of these rules may be rather "loose" shall we say.  They remain open until they are caught or if there is a report of infected individuals that had recently visited.

Edited by coho8888

4 hours ago, BPA said:

I'd say this is discriminatory...as much as I hate trivial lawsuits....hope someone files a lawsuit.  These people are a threat to our safety because their ignorance is guiding them.  

If they're not following Govt'd guidelines they should be shut down (too).

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

Donald Trump has a new book out as well. It's called, "The Art of the Feel". 

I, of course, am referring to his statements such as, "I have a gut feeling that this Chinese Flu will just disappear"......

Donnie stole that move from Frank Constanza!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

They thinking about opening up the borders between US and CANADA ....if justin does that, we are all doomed, they way the US are being infected and the people dont care, they care more about there rights, than social distancing ....im very scared if we do open up.

I was so happy we didnt get chosen for being a HUB city, than heard they might be opening up the borders...SIGH

Employee at Surrey, B.C., McDonald’s tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/employee-at-surrey-bc-mcdonalds-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB16uqKl?ocid=eventhub

An employee at a McDonald's restaurant in Surrey has tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease known as COVID-19.

The person last worked at the location at 17960 56 Avenue in Cloverdale on July 1 from noon to 4 p.m.

Damn virus keeps popping up.