The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The sad thing is, unless you look at the numbers. The graphs are misleading. I wonder if that was done on purpose to make things look not so bad for the US?

Bottom line. 25.1% of the total WORLD Covid cases are in the US. Keep the border shut until January. 

And it doesn't have to be that way.  New York was absolutely slammed at the beginning.  Needed help from other states.  Through the guidance of Cuomo, they've flattened the curve better than any of the other states.  No small feat considering the density of Manhattan, Brooklyn etc..  Their positive to test rates are below 1% in most of the areas throughout the state.  They have opened things up in Phases like we have.  A bit slower mind you.  The difference is the leadership.  Now I know he's gotten some heat regarding the issue of care homes but its hard to argue what he's done since.

If every state in the US achieved what NY did, our borders would be opening sooner rather than later.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Hopefully the poor graph design is enough to deceive the Americans dumb enough to travel here.

I was just thinking that. :lol:

Even though the title clearly said we're doing much better, they had to mitigate by using a 10 fold variance on the numbers on the right.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was just thinking that. :lol:

Even though the title clearly said we're doing much better, they had to mitigate by using a 10 fold variance on the numbers on the right.:rolleyes:

Gotta give their egos a little boost.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The funny thing is, it's a CNN graphic....I'd expect that from Faux, but CNN would normally try and make that look as bad as possible....:unsure:

It's the media they're basically all the same.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Meh, it’s like the Leaf’s 13 cups.  Means little in a six team league....much like doing better than country with you know who in charge. It ain’t a high bar to beat.:lol:

We rank 49th for cases per 1Million population.

So I'd say we're doing good.

• Cheers 1

Just arrived in Vancouver from Toronto and voluntarily isolating now, but one thing that's confusing me is how the BC Centre for Disease Control is telling people that if you don't have symptoms you don't need a test. 

I thought asymptomatic spreading is what made this virus as big of a problem as it is now. 

I was thinking of getting testing just to be safe...couldn't people arriving from flights theoretically get tested when they get off the plane?

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

A high-risk Florida teen who died from covid-19 attended a huge church party, then was given hydroxychloroquine by her parents, report says

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/a-high-risk-florida-teen-who-died-from-covid-19-attended-a-huge-church-party-then-was-given-hydroxychloroquine-by-her-parents-report-says/ar-BB16qNQy?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

A medical examiner’s report recently made public, however, has raised questions about Carsyn’s case. The Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner found that the immunocompromised teen went to a large church party with roughly 100 other children where she did not wear a mask and social distancing was not enforced. Then, after getting sick, nearly a week passed before she was taken to the hospital, and during that time her parents gave her hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug touted by President Trump that the Food and Drug Administration has issued warnings about, saying usage could cause potentially deadly heart rhythm problems.

I blame the Parents.  I blame the Church.  I blame Trump for promoting Hydroxychloroquine.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

A high-risk Florida teen who died from covid-19 attended a huge church party, then was given hydroxychloroquine by her parents, report says

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/a-high-risk-florida-teen-who-died-from-covid-19-attended-a-huge-church-party-then-was-given-hydroxychloroquine-by-her-parents-report-says/ar-BB16qNQy?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

A medical examiner’s report recently made public, however, has raised questions about Carsyn’s case. The Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner found that the immunocompromised teen went to a large church party with roughly 100 other children where she did not wear a mask and social distancing was not enforced. Then, after getting sick, nearly a week passed before she was taken to the hospital, and during that time her parents gave her hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug touted by President Trump that the Food and Drug Administration has issued warnings about, saying usage could cause potentially deadly heart rhythm problems.

I blame the Parents.  I blame the Church.  I blame Trump for promoting Hydroxychloroquine.

Hmmm...wonder who invested heavily in hydrochloroquine?

COVID-19: Case confirmed at Vancouver 7-Eleven, Slurpee Day cancelled

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-case-confirmed-at-vancouver-7-eleven-slurpee-day-cancelled/ar-BB16riMf?li=AA521o&ocid=iehp

Staff at the 7-Eleven, located at 710 West 6th Ave. and Heather Street, have since been sent home with pay to self-isolate. Customers who visited the store between June 20 to July 6 are being urged to contact 8-1-1 for guidance and to monitor for symptoms.

If you were there and on those dates...get tested.

16 minutes ago, BPA said:

COVID-19: Case confirmed at Vancouver 7-Eleven, Slurpee Day cancelled

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-case-confirmed-at-vancouver-7-eleven-slurpee-day-cancelled/ar-BB16riMf?li=AA521o&ocid=iehp

Staff at the 7-Eleven, located at 710 West 6th Ave. and Heather Street, have since been sent home with pay to self-isolate. Customers who visited the store between June 20 to July 6 are being urged to contact 8-1-1 for guidance and to monitor for symptoms.

If you were there and on those dates...get tested.

I thought Dr. B keeps telling us there is no commnuity transmission in BC..... 

Only 22% of people testing positive for coronavirus reported having symptoms on the day of their test, according to the Office for National Statistics.

This hammers home the importance of "asymptomatic transmission" - spread of the virus by people who aren't aware they're carrying it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53320155

Edited by kingofsurrey

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I thought Dr. B keeps telling us there is no commnuity transmission in BC..... 

Only 22% of people testing positive for coronavirus reported having symptoms on the day of their test, according to the Office for National Statistics.

This hammers home the importance of "asymptomatic transmission" - spread of the virus by people who aren't aware they're carrying it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53320155

There's not enough information in the news report to know if the staff member got it from customers or the staff brought it into the store themselves.  Most likely the staff was already sick with Covid-19.  I went to a 7-11 in my area a few months ago.  They all wear masks and stand behind the Plexiglas barrier. 

• Cheers 1

It's official: Bolsonaro has tested positive for coronavirus

Tue 7 Jul 2020 15:14:58 GMT

Brazil's President is the latest victim

Bolsonaro

Earlier reports from the local media suggested this was coming. Bolsonaro himself told CNN Brazil that he was positive so presumably he's in decent shape. He was checked out after a mild fever.

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Bolsonaro

Earlier reports from the local media suggested this was coming. Bolsonaro himself told CNN Brazil that he was positive so presumably he's in decent shape. He was checked out after a mild fever.

Now if Bunker Boy would just follow his lead. 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Bolsonaro

C'mon Covid

• Haha 3

Target shopper wearing '$40,000 Rolex' destroys face mask display, while Costco shopper protests mask policy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/companies/target-shopper-wearing-2440000-rolex-destroys-face-mask-display-while-costco-shopper-protests-mask-policy/ar-BB16oPK6

In the video Sunday, a woman identified as Melissa Rein Lively, who also is the CEO of The Brand Consortium PR, pulled the masks off the display, of a Scottsdale store, in an expletive-filled rant. She did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for comment.

The lady definitely having a mental breakdown.  In other news report, she claims to be QAnon spokesperson and uses the N word multiple times.  So probably not the best human being out there.