The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The idea that the feds won’t allow Canadians cross the border for vac shots is unconscionable. Make it happen Trudeau. Right some of your blunders to date. How many lives has this guy cost?

the deals Trudeau made to secure vaccines deserves a lot of credit. You may want to take that into account. 

You can't cross the border unless its for essential reasons. Jumping the queue isn't considered essential in our system. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the deals Trudeau made to secure vaccines deserves a lot of credit. You may want to take that into account. 

You can't cross the border unless its for essential reasons. Jumping the queue isn't considered essential in our system. 

Rename the USA offer to inoculate another queue then. What’s more important maintaining a sacrosanct Canadian program or getting people inoculated? At one point the imperative seemed to be getting as many people jabbed as possible as quickly as possible. Now too much politics is involved. Saving lives thru the USA offer to vaccinate should take president.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TheFly said:

John Oliver is a propaganda point man. He lies about the salient point. Vaccinate vulnerable people are 95% protected and 100% protected from HOSPITALIZATION. Funny how he forgot to mention that. Is he stupid or dishonest?

Are you stupid or dishonest.  Vaccinating as many healthy people can provide protection for the 5% that vaccines don't work as well as the people who for MEDICAL reasons cannot get vaccinated.  In order to surpass the 70% number when herd immunity will start to kick in, the overwhelming majority of healthy adults will have to get vaccinated.  Relying on children will not get us past 70%  this summer.  Getting to herd immunity also helps to reduce the chances that the virus will mutate.  But hey, he's a liar, so let's just discount everything he said.

Care to provide your analysis.  

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Rename the USA offer to inoculate another queue then. What’s more important maintaining a sacrosanct Canadian program or getting people inoculated? At one point the imperative seemed to be getting as many people jabbed as possible as quickly as possible. Now too much politics is involved. Saving lives thru the USA offer to vaccinate should take president.

I don't think its that simple. What do you do if we get long lines at the border and some people need to be turned back? how do we track when second shots are needed? what happens if someone has a bad reaction in the US? 

I understand the frustration but its not as simple as one person going across the border. I don't think politics has anything to do with it. 

It seems like too much a coincidence that researchers were getting sick in a corona testing lab in Wuhan shortly before Covid was born. But given China’s complete resistance to cooperate with any investigations, I doubt the truth will ever be confirmed.

But what if China was found guilty / responsible for accidentally leaking Covid from a lab? A virus that has killed 4 million worldwide, and caused all kinds of health related conditions in others. 

What do you think would happen? Would there be any real repercussions / consequences? China is a super power, and nobody particularly wants to mess with them. I’d guess there would be some finger wagging and that’s about it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slegr said:

What do you think would happen? Would there be any real repercussions / consequences? China is a super power, and nobody particularly wants to mess with them. I’d guess there would be some finger wagging and that’s about it.

I'd expect about the same amount of finger wagging as they get for their ongoing genocide. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think its that simple. What do you do if we get long lines at the border and some people need to be turned back? how do we track when second shots are needed? what happens if someone has a bad reaction in the US? 

I understand the frustration but its not as simple as one person going across the border. I don't think politics has anything to do with it. 

The reality is that you already have a long list of Canadians who have had their first shot in the USA. Snowbirds for sure but many more essential workers who cross the border regularly. Whether nurses in Windsor or truckers everywhere they have got their shot. If we can register for shots on-line then we can establish a record of vaccination. A bad reaction is a minor risk that exists on either side of the border. Am I wrong in thinking that these vaccination sites were set up on the border? A shot then a U-turn back to Canada? 

If this isn't politics then what is it? Not that long ago we were regularly told that Covid couldn't be broken until herd immunity was established. This would speed things up! IMHO the optics of thousands of cars waiting to get a shot at the border supercedes any political embarrassment the government experience. I can see some concern that vaccines ordered by the government might not be used if potential clients got shot in the USA. There again those vaccines could be used for 2nd shot use and that could start more quickly. Trudeau has already said that surplus vaccines would be shipped overseas. The American offer has been made to Manitoba, Sask and AB. I think it should be fully embraced and if necessary Canadian personnel located to record returning citizens.  

Soooo.... I don't know whether to be to be pissed off, or proud....

Driving past City Hall this afternoon and I see a bunch of Covidiots protesting restrictions with the requisite "Freedom!", "End the Lockdown!" signs....

Pretty irritating...except for the fact that there were barely a dozen of the clowns.....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Driving past City Hall this afternoon and I see a bunch of Covidiots protesting restrictions with the requisite "Freedom!", "End the Lockdown!" signs....

Pretty irritating...except for the fact that there were barely a dozen of the clowns.....

Isn't city hall closed today?

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It doesn't matter how many times the facts are explained to these morons, they instead choose ignorance.  They choose the position that doing nothing in terms of public health initiatives is the way we should go.  No matter how immoral and wrong acting like nothing is going on and we should just let a significant percentage of people take no action to help end this nightmare.  These people are selfish, entitled, moronic, a-holes. 

Change my mind

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Are you stupid or dishonest.  Vaccinating as many healthy people can provide protection for the 5% that vaccines don't work as well as the people who for MEDICAL reasons cannot get vaccinated.  In order to surpass the 70% number when herd immunity will start to kick in, the overwhelming majority of healthy adults will have to get vaccinated.  Relying on children will not get us past 70%  this summer.  Getting to herd immunity also helps to reduce the chances that the virus will mutate.  But hey, he's a liar, so let's just discount everything he said.

Care to provide your analysis.  

I'm vaccinated so there's no reason for me to care if you or John Oliver are vaccinated  because I'm fully protected from a serious outcome of Covid. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2021/03/22/astrazeneca-vaccine-100-effective-in-preventing-severe-disease-and-hospitalizations-us-trials-show/?sh=3b95e3e24364

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The reality is that you already have a long list of Canadians who have had their first shot in the USA. Snowbirds for sure but many more essential workers who cross the border regularly. Whether nurses in Windsor or truckers everywhere they have got their shot. If we can register for shots on-line then we can establish a record of vaccination. A bad reaction is a minor risk that exists on either side of the border. Am I wrong in thinking that these vaccination sites were set up on the border? A shot then a U-turn back to Canada? 

If this isn't politics then what is it? Not that long ago we were regularly told that Covid couldn't be broken until herd immunity was established. This would speed things up! IMHO the optics of thousands of cars waiting to get a shot at the border supercedes any political embarrassment the government experience. I can see some concern that vaccines ordered by the government might not be used if potential clients got shot in the USA. There again those vaccines could be used for 2nd shot use and that could start more quickly. Trudeau has already said that surplus vaccines would be shipped overseas. The American offer has been made to Manitoba, Sask and AB. I think it should be fully embraced and if necessary Canadian personnel located to record returning citizens.  

Good points B. I guess they are sticking with universality vs some quicker delivery of 2nd shots. 

12 hours ago, Slegr said:

It seems like too much a coincidence that researchers were getting sick in a corona testing lab in Wuhan shortly before Covid was born. But given China’s complete resistance to cooperate with any investigations, I doubt the truth will ever be confirmed.

But what if China was found guilty / responsible for accidentally leaking Covid from a lab? A virus that has killed 4 million worldwide, and caused all kinds of health related conditions in others. 

If the source of that info was from trump administration, then it is as credible as the Chinese government.  Fake news. 

The WHO team were given the medical records of the lab personnel and it said no one was sick with Covid, and all had negative antibodies for asymptomatic infection. Of course, you can say they faked the results or lied. If you don't trust anything, how can you verify it anyway?  If this happened in US, they would neve allow foreign scientists to come in and investigate it. Likewise, China will not allow it regardless if it happened or not. It's hard to get infected in a level 4 lab. They are so well protected, trained and have stringent protocols. It's not a wet market where people are just walking in and out. Latest genetic analysis suggest the virus enters human population no earlier than Oct 2019. 

There is so much more evidence of zoonosis from coronaviruses that to dismiss that and stop looking into the immediate animal reservoir will be more harmful for preventing future outbreaks.  Stopping wild life trade will be a good first step. No one is saying SARS or MERS are man made these days, but those took years to find the animal source.   HIV was thought to be man made too by some (even now by those same crazy conspiracists), but it took decades to find the source from chimps.   

The response of countries to the pandemic is the true crime here. In face of evidence, leaders play it down and their citizens paid with their lives (US, Brazil, UK, India are best examples).    

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, TheFly said:

I'm vaccinated so there's no reason for me to care if you or John Oliver are vaccinated  because I'm fully protected from a serious outcome of Covid. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2021/03/22/astrazeneca-vaccine-100-effective-in-preventing-severe-disease-and-hospitalizations-us-trials-show/?sh=3b95e3e24364

The whole point isn't convincing you or me to get vaccinated (I'm waiting to get my second Pfizer shot BTW).  The point is that we need to convince those who haven't and are skeptical of the vaccines.  The hesitant people.  These are the people that will need to be convinced for us to get to or get as close to herd immunity as possible.  The quicker we get there, the fewer unnecessary deaths.  The fewer people who may/will have significant health issues after "surviving" Covid.  The lower the chance of the virus mutating into a vaccine resistant strain.  That was the point.  That is the point that all of us should be getting.  So yes, you should care.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sounds like the less-than-10 Covidiots that showed up to protest in front of the museum in Quesnel yesterday. :rolleyes:

• Like 1