The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 hours ago, Amebushi said:

And you are the person that can’t hold a civil debate. I don’t bring the virus anywhere. I’m sitting in my house alone and annoyed. I wore a mask at work all day because I don’t want a fine. I am for the risk of seeing my family because they are what is important to me. If I can’t see my family why the hell can kids go to school???  I want fairness across the board. Why do some have to give more than other “for the greater good”?  You spout your beliefs without a single source as if you are the holder of all facts. Take your holier than thou crap and shove it. I want to protect all people equally. I wear a mask and follow the rules. Why don’t others?  Why don’t kids have to wear masks in schools?  Try answering a question for once instead of standing on a soapbox. More than many...how many more case in schools before it matters to you?  Why is it ok for men’s hockey to be going on right now? I thought you were scared for our elders but gosh...gotta have hockey. I’m sick of one sided arguments. The rules as they sit make no sense and any rational person can see that. Keep making personal attacks and tell me what kind of person I am. I follow rules I don’t agree with for the greater good while you preach about how good you are. 

Your comments weren't directed at me but thought I might take the chance to answer some of them.  

I think this sort of questioning is very reasonable and fair as opposed to some of the other crap about natural immunity that is being spewed here.

I think the best way to think about it is cumulative risk.  Everything you do adds a little risk and you need to manage those risks to keep the sum of them to an acceptable level.  Also need to look at increased risks of infection for some activities as well as the background risks of those involved.

Schools are a risk but in general the risks of kids under 14 transmitting the virus are less than adults and older teens.  It is about half the risk by best estimation.  Parents work and are frequently dependant on schools to be open to work.  The calculation is made that for kids development and for parents work that the reduced risk is more palatable but parents get to make that choice.  Kids can be kept home as full time virtual classes are available.  When the numbers in an area get high enough or when there are cases in a school these get shutdown.  

Ultimately the combination of reduced risk, parents agreeing to keep children home when showing any signs of illness and the benefits to the economy went into this calculation.  I am not saying it adds up but that is the thinking.

At this time men's hockey should not be going on IMO.  That is ludicrous and just not worth the risk.

Personally my job puts me at significant risk for exposure and those that live with me have to accept that and we have personal isolation plans in place fr when I get higher risk exposures.  I would not take the risk of exposing anyone who doesn't live with me to me without PPE.  I have seen two buildings over the last several months my clinic and my house and yes am getting very sick of these.

I don't go out in public because I don't want to add to my cumulative risk or add to the exposure risk of the high risk people I work with.  My work risks combined with two kids in school makes my cumulative risk quite high.

It is good that you have taken these measures for the greater good and even more important because of the ass hats who won't take reasonable precautions and feel the need to spew their crap all over the internet to try to spread their self centred philosophies.  The responsible often have to bear the cross for the selfish.

Ultimately, you and your family can look at your situations and decide for yourselves what risks to take.  One of the issues though with the virus is that it spreads at a very high level before you even know you have it so it is really very difficult to say that you don't bring the virus anywhere as even with you taking these precautions there is a fair chance though this also depends on a lot of other factors like rates and other potential exposures.

If it is just the family that you live with those risks are cooked in but if bringing grandma with COPD from the nursing home over for Christmas that is a whole different risk profile for her and risk profile for exposure of the rest of the family.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32478-8/fulltext

Obituaries for a small subset of health care workers who have made the ultimate sacrifice in caring for COVID patients and lost their lives.  For those who still think this is nothing but a flu, or it only creates significant harm to elderly, might want to reconsider your position.  If not for yourself, then for the people around you.  Wear a mask, physically distant and try not to be out and about unless necessary.  

"Greater love hath no man than that he lay down his life for a friend".  I doubt that most people go into health care with the notion that they are risking their lives to care for others health.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

On a smaller scale...I hope people start respecting personal space a bit more.  Stop crowding one another...trampling over each other for sales, etc.  Spitting and coughing everywhere.  I hope we're training people about good manners in public overall. 

Positives are that we're being forced to think about those things.  Also, to be grateful FOR that time with family that we're being deprived of...how we sometimes may take that for granted.  Grumble when we "have" to attend a function that we're not overly excited about.  To cherish every second of it.

Deb I love that you keep being a glad half full type.  

Nothing in the last year makes me think that we are learning to respect each other better but I fully recognize that this may be a bias engendered by the presence of the internet and social media amplifying extreme views.

I would like to see some leg term changes come out of COVID.  I think moving to a mostly cash free society would be great for public health, money is filthy.  Handshakes can go away permanently IMO.  A better recognition that minor illness should be isolated, not forced in to work or into doctor's offices for unnecessary notes, that would be great.

I also think that COVID could provide a blueprint for the revitalization of rural life and increase the shift of decentralization cities.  If the COVID recovery starts to include public works with a stress on equity of broadband access across the country to all communities, many companies can continue to have work at home policies which could lead to this sort of rural revitalization.  The increased incorporation of distance learning could also significantly improve the quality of rural education which has really truly gotten woeful in places.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Good to hear....hopefully this will ensure all care homes deliver care a little more attentively.

Got to say though it is pricey , unfortunate for families who may have to look at cheaper costs / alternatives. Which is a shame , good care shouldn’t be something that is hard to come by . 

The GF( who is a RN) had a dentist appointment yesterday and was asked numerous times by the hygenist lady if Covid was real or if it was made up...If anyone out there seriously thinks covid is fake or made up, you people are just idiots plain and simple. This is NOT a joke, if only people could actually be given a tour through an ICU unit where people are admitted for Covid and struggling to breathe....

Rumour of anti maskers going to rally each week at a specific spot in Kelowna I believe...if they are dumb enough to post when it will be AND people still show up, the law should change where promoted gatherings like these automatically get SIGNIFICANT fines...like an an extra 0 to each individual fine and make it so if you fine is NOT paid you can't renew your driver's license.

People can have their opinion to be opposed to not liking to where a mask but if you want to continue to spew negativity online about it or say oh eat healthy and build up your immune sytem...each to their own but all of ya will just join the ignore list for me, as I see no point in it being talked about continuously in this thread...go make a anti mask/covi d is a hoax/i am immune to covid thread and collaberate there...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Dr. B. - never too late for you.  People that refuse to change their minds..... well we know how that goes....

An independent group of scientists has called for “urgent action” to make schools more Covid-secure, after it was revealed that infection rates among secondary pupils have soared 50-fold since classrooms reopened in September.

Teenagers aged 11-16 are now the age group with the highest levels of infection in England, and one in ten are reported to be off school either because of confirmed or suspected coronavirus or because they have been in contact with a potentially contagious person.

While many teens show no symptoms from Covid-19, the Independent Sage group warned that they risk bringing the virus home to parents and grandparents, who are more vulnerable to developing serious health problems

Professor Stephen Reicher of the University of St Andrews, of Independent Sage, said: “In the summer, the government effectively abandoned schools, requiring them to be safe but without providing the support or the resources to make this possible.

“As a result, far too many of our children are left in crowded, badly ventilated classrooms; infections have increased 50-fold since September; one in five students are off school; and all this is now putting the whole community at risk.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/independent-sage-coronavirus-infection-schools-b1762906.html

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's actually sad as hell mate.

Like, I get the not wanting to wear a mask.  I hate it.  

But every single day, new videos of people full on assaulting or spitting on employees of businesses for literally just saying sorry, you must wear a mask.

Whether a person is pro or anti mask...if you're going to abuse the people literally at the end of their ropes, underemployed and underpaid for putting up with everything through Covid we're gonna have a problem whether I'm capable of it or not.

People suck

Exactly.

I don't think the person in Walmart is the root cause of these issues. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Teenagers aged 11-16 are now the age group with the highest levels of infection in England, and one in ten are reported to be off school either because of confirmed or suspected coronavirus or because they have been in contact with a potentially contagious person.

Yup, that's how my cousin got it, from his kid....from her school.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

WTH!?   So Justin's statement was that "we can expect to have half of us vaccinated by next September"??!!!

Sigh

all things considered thats not too bad. We gave up our own production in the 80s like fools. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

WTH!?   So Justin's statement was that "we can expect to have half of us vaccinated by next September"??!!!

Sigh

More important is getting the most vulnerable vaccinated.

If that can happen by early 2021 I think that will be a huge success.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all things considered thats not too bad. We gave up our own production in the 80s like fools. 

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

More important is getting the most vulnerable vaccinated.

If that can happen by early 2021 I think that will be a huge success.

I wonder when will things start to go back to 'normal'? 2022 Spring/Summer?