The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

On 5/20/2021 at 12:25 PM, gurn said:

Probably thought, "Things are ok now"

Rather than "It's getting better, but still need to be careful".

Was picking up some take out today in South Surrey and Morgan Crossing Area was very very busy seems busier than pre pandemic to me. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Have you seen this yet @Warhippy? Isn’t this the pos that was making threats to you? Looks like he can’t keep his mouth shut.

Anti-mask protester Chris Sky arrested for allegedly making death threats, driving at a police officer

A prominent figure in Canada's anti-mask and anti-lockdown movement has been arrested by Toronto police after allegedly threatening to shoot people during phone conversations and driving his car at police when officers tried to arrest him this week.

Chris Saccoccia, better known as Chris Sky, turned himself in to police on Thursday, May 20, police said in a news release.

He is facing three counts of uttering death threats, and one count each of assaulting a peace officer with a weapon and dangerous operation of a vehicle.

Saccoccia, 37, is alleged by police to have "threatened to shoot people several times over the phone" on Wednesday, May 12.

Police later attempted to arrest Saccoccia on Wednesday afternoon at an unnamed location in York Region.

Police say Saccoccia got in his vehicle to drive away when the officers found him. Police say they tried to block his vehicle, at which point he reversed and charged toward an officer, "causing him to jump out of the way to avoid being hit."

Saccoccia sped away from the officers and turned himself in the next day, according to police.

Saccoccia has organized demonstrations against COVID-19 public health orders across Canada.

He was previously arrested by police in Thunder Bay, Ont., for organizing a gathering in that city.

Give him the maximum penalty possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/may/20/dogs-can-better-detect-covid-in-humans-than-lateral-flow-tests-finds-study?utm_source=linkedin&utm_campaign=dogsandcovid

Dogs are better at detecting Covid-19 in humans than many fast lateral flow tests (LFTs), according to a French study which could see canines more widely deployed for mass virus screening in crowded places including airports.

The trial, conducted in March and April by France’s national veterinary school and the clinical research unit of Paris’s Necker-Cochin hospital, showed dogs were able to detect the presence of the virus with 97% accuracy.

The dogs were also 91% correct in identifying negative samples, the study showed. A recent review of 64 studies found LFTs correctly identify on average 72% of people infected with the virus who have symptoms, and 58% who do not. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/may/20/argentina-covid-coronavirus-cases-deaths-hospitals

With both the Brazilian and UK variants circulating widely in Argentina, the patients she is now seeing at the Fernández public hospital in Buenos Aires are dying faster, and younger: one recent victim was just 42 when he died.

“I am seeing people die in less than a week – young patients unresponsive to treatment. You administer oxygen, do all the mechanics – turn them face down, face up – but it doesn’t work. Then there are other patients whose oxygenation level is not so bad – but they die anyway,” Edul says.

Relative to population, Argentina now has the highest number of Covid deaths per day in the world, with 16.46 Covid fatalities per million on Tuesday, far exceeding its giant neighbour Brazil, which saw 11.82 per million.

The alarming escalation of the Argentina’s second wave is already taking a toll on the country’s frontline physicians.

Intensive care doctors in Argentina have entered a point of terminal fatigue,” says Dubin.

Edul said: “Some of my colleagues have died of Covid, others are suffering from depression or have attempted suicide. Many who were working jobs in three different hospitals have quit one because of the stress.”

That depletion is in turn contributing to the high mortality rate. “It doesn’t matter how many extra beds they put in wards – what we have is a collapse of the system because there are not enough doctors,” says Edul.

“The marker of this collapse is the abrupt increase in mortality: some regions are reporting a mortality rate of 75% in intensive care,” he said.

Despite the horrifying figures, few Argentinians seem aware of the gravity of the pandemic, Edul said: many people are disregarding restrictions, attending clandestine parties or refusing to wear a face mask.

“We are witnessing the failure of a foolish and stubborn society, a dehumanizing society in which our own interests are routinely privileged above those of our neighbours.”

Edited by FaninMex
  • Sad 3
18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel for the small businesses, but instead of re-opening too soon I'd rather help them with more financial assistance. 

Issue though Jimmy is the long term effects.  I was just reading how Biden may sign a bill that allows US cruise ships to bypass Vancouver and go straight to Alaska from a century old bill.  Theres some talk they may make it permanent too and apparently that tourism accounts for billions in revenue.  Its easy to say give financial assistance but if this bill goes through that tourism is gonna take a massive long term effect as ports will be bypassed. All those tourism buisness will be destroyed financially. 

31 minutes ago, Russ said:

Issue though Jimmy is the long term effects.  I was just reading how Biden may sign a bill that allows US cruise ships to bypass Vancouver and go straight to Alaska from a century old bill.  Theres some talk they may make it permanent too and apparently that tourism accounts for billions in revenue.  Its easy to say give financial assistance but if this bill goes through that tourism is gonna take a massive long term effect as ports will be bypassed. All those tourism buisness will be destroyed financially. 

there's not much we can do about Biden tho. All I'm saying is maybe its prudent to wait for 1 week after a long weekend to re-open things. We know these long weekends lead to spikes, so wouldn't it make sense to wait a few days?

• Hydration 3
12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's not much we can do about Biden tho. All I'm saying is maybe its prudent to wait for 1 week after a long weekend to re-open things. We know these long weekends lead to spikes, so wouldn't it make sense to wait a few days?

Your not wrong at all, that said people are going to do whatever they want regardless of these minor sanctions they have tried to put in. The weather is going to be great, people will be out boating and camping. At least it is outdoors but I think with more and more people getting the vaccine the numbers will continue to drop, it won't disappear anytime soon but life is going to get back to more normal by summer. It will never go away because there are anti vaccine people out there who refuse to get the needle...only lengthening this whole pandemic because of their self centered woah is me mentality. I work with people like that and is pathetic to hear them be so careless about their own health and others around them, makes me sad to work for an outfit run like this actually...but need to pay the bills!

• Vintage 2
3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Your not wrong at all, that said people are going to do whatever they want regardless of these minor sanctions they have tried to put in. The weather is going to be great, people will be out boating and camping. At least it is outdoors but I think with more and more people getting the vaccine the numbers will continue to drop, it won't disappear anytime soon but life is going to get back to more normal by summer. It will never go away because there are anti vaccine people out there who refuse to get the needle...only lengthening this whole pandemic because of their self centered woah is me mentality. I work with people like that and is pathetic to hear them be so careless about their own health and others around them, makes me sad to work for an outfit run like this actually...but need to pay the bills!

ugh, that sucks. That would drive me nuts. My daughter has a friend who's father works in the oil patch, and thinks its all a "hoax" :blink: so needles to say, she hasn't been visiting. 

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ugh, that sucks. That would drive me nuts. My daughter has a friend who's father works in the oil patch, and thinks its all a "hoax" :blink: so needles to say, she hasn't been visiting. 

ya its sad, espcially when the 1 guy has brainwashed his 13 year old son to refuse the vaccine if his mom books him a visit and on top of that he has shown up to work not feeling well and saying he thinks he has covid. Unfortunately, the boss has a similar mindset to him and because we work outside they seem to not think anything of coming to work when feeling unwell. be it just a lack of sleep or ate something wrong to a cold or potential covid. Really pisses me off when I have a 32 week pregnant wife at home and when I said I had my vaccine booked for the end of the month the boss and co worker said to me that they will never get it and it was a waste of time...but hey he let me get off work at 1:30 on may 31st so I could get my jab but I won't get paid for a full day of work cause of it

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

ya its sad, espcially when the 1 guy has brainwashed his 13 year old son to refuse the vaccine if his mom books him a visit and on top of that he has shown up to work not feeling well and saying he thinks he has covid. Unfortunately, the boss has a similar mindset to him and because we work outside they seem to not think anything of coming to work when feeling unwell. be it just a lack of sleep or ate something wrong to a cold or potential covid. Really pisses me off when I have a 32 week pregnant wife at home and when I said I had my vaccine booked for the end of the month the boss and co worker said to me that they will never get it and it was a waste of time...but hey he let me get off work at 1:30 on may 31st so I could get my jab but I won't get paid for a full day of work cause of it

same deal with my daughters friend, she's 21 and won't get it. Works in a hair salon. :picard: she's been a bit of a pain on social media with her buddies with anti-vax crap, causing tension in that friend group. Thankfully my daughter won't bite, seems like the kid is looking for a fight. 

• Hydration 1
15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

you just got the be the bigger man, it's only money but that is a crappy situation, can't wait for my second vaccination

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Russ said:

Not too concerned about Biden.  He will more than likely forget what he said anyway.

It’s pretty clear we will get the vast majority of our population vaccinated over the coming months, and cruise ships will again stop here.  

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Russ said:

Vancouver is to big a port and international hub to be bypassed, may lose some of the US market but I would imagine then international market is going to still be coming through YVR 

• Hydration 1

You can add me to the list.  However, I think this isn't something until at least we reach the point where the overwhelming majority of people who want the shot, have gotten the shot.  When millions are waiting, Covid vaccine passports shouldn't be a thing.  

BTW, it isn't hard to get your BC Service Card app on you phone to access your health records.  Vaccinations, Covid test results and more all at your fingertips.  

https://globalnews.ca/news/7876339/covid-vaccine-passports-canada-ipsos-poll/

Majority of Canadians support COVID-19 vaccine passports for concerts, travel: Ipsos

• Hydration 2
On 5/19/2021 at 11:27 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Perhaps.  One of the matters governments will need to sort out is the authenticity aspect (and verifiability of the supposed vaccination that the v.p. would suggest - because otherwise, we'd be operating solely on trust and within an honour system that can and will be easily exploited).  The other side of the equation is to do with "function creep" - ie. the potential effect on our civil liberties, and the need to have a serious discussion and meaningful debate on this topic - which this article covers in some detail: https://theconversation.com/why-we-need-to-seriously-reconsider-covid-19-vaccination-passports-159405

Reveal hidden contents

Having vaccine passports without the ability to be reasonably sure of their authenticity could cause more harm than good. Here’s someone selling fakes at their place of business, with the added twist of being stupid enough to post the picture, name tag included, to their social media account.

I support verifiable vaccine passports in this case but I am in total agreement with you on the concern about function creep. It surprises me that more people aren’t at least willing to have the conversation. 

6D5BD007-7E74-46E2-A0BA-E93FECB90F85.jpeg

• Hydration 2
4 hours ago, Russ said:

This issue is way more complicated than that.  The Jones act affects more than just alaskan cruises.  I think much has been overblown about how permanent the repealing of the act would be.  The act was enacted in 1920 for reasons other than tourism.  Getting rid of it permanently is way more difficult than most think.  You will have various lobby groups fighting it.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thebakersinstitute/2017/09/28/the-jones-act-friend-or-foe/?sh=4b4850334faa

5 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Been called for my first dose :) be getting it mid week

Pro tip, get it shot in the arm you don't sleep on.

My arm is sore the day after but so far the only side effect. 

Oddly enough I tried to roll over on my left and it didn't hurt (The arm I got the shot on).

Felt better after a hot shower. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought you mean like for an extended period like months more.  My bad. 

• Vintage 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pro tip, get it shot in the arm you don't sleep on.

My arm is sore the day after but so far the only side effect. 

Oddly enough I tried to roll over on my left and it didn't hurt (The arm I got the shot on).

Felt better after a hot shower. 

Yeah I plan to - my wife had hers last week she said same thing 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Hydration 1