The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

For those wondering about this.  It is looking like Pfizer won't have their results until the fall.  Then they will be asking for authorization then.  Just as was posted earlier in this thread.  Good news.  Especially for nations that have few vaccines thus far.  Vaccinating large groups of children (many go to school) can be speedy and be very helpful in achieving herd immunity.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-start-large-study-test-covid-19-vaccine-children-below-12-2021-06-08/?utm_source=reddit.com

Pfizer to test COVID-19 vaccine in larger group of children below 12

Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) said on Tuesday it will begin testing its COVID-19 vaccine in a larger group of children under age 12 after selecting a lower dose of the shot in an earlier stage of the trial.

The study will enroll up to 4,500 children at more than 90 clinical sites in the United States, Finland, Poland and Spain, the company said.

Based on safety, tolerability and the immune response generated by 144 children in a phase I study of the two-dose shot, Pfizer said it will test a dose of 10 micrograms in children between 5 and 11 years of age, and 3 micrograms for the age group of 6 months to 5.

A Pfizer spokesperson said the company expects data from 5- to 11-year-olds in September and would likely ask regulators for emergency use authorization later that month. Data for children 2 to 5 years old could arrive soon after that, he said.

Pfizer expects to have data from the 6-month to 2-year-old age group sometime in October or November.

The vaccine - made by Pfizer and German partner BioNTech SA - has been authorized for use in children as young as 12 in Europe, the United States and Canada. They receive the same dose as adults: 30 micrograms.

Nearly 7 million teens have received at least one dose of the vaccine in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Inoculating children and young people is considered a critical step toward reaching "herd immunity" and taming the COVID-19 pandemic.

Report ad

Still, scientists in the United States and elsewhere are studying the possibility of a link between heart inflammation and mRNA vaccines, particularly in young men. Both Pfizer and Moderna Inc's (MRNA.O) vaccines are mRNA shots.

Israel's Health Ministry said last week it had found the small number of myocarditis cases observed mainly in young men who received the Pfizer vaccine there were probably linked to their vaccination. The cases were generally mild and did not last long.

Pfizer has said it is aware of the Israeli observations of myocarditis and that no causal link to its vaccine has been established.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The story is that he had every opportunity to get a vaccination, but chose not to. Arizona has many clinics etc., for folks to be vaccinated, but....

I'm glad he got it and blew the tourney in that case.

8 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Well for one, I'm sure workplaces will have a lot more stringent "stay at home if you feel sick" policies. 

Behaviours will change. For example, I plan on wearing a mask at all times when on public transit from now on. 

Unless my work implaments a sick day program thats not gonna fly at my work very well.  Lots of times where guys are just worn out and their bodies just feel beat up and sick with winter weather and you can see people feel sick but no ones willing to take unpaid time off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Fully vax'd as of today!  Woo!

Yay!! Congrats Deb...been a long haul for everyone and it ain't over yet, but we are getting there day by day. Just need to get the people who are skeptical of the vaccine to take it, have a couple close people I know who "aren't in a rush" to get the vaccine...Sadly 1 of them is my best friend and the other is my cousin who has been applying to get a full time firefighting job, told him hey man...that is an essential worker type of job can almost guarantee any interview you get they are going to ask you if you have been vaccinated yet or are awaiting your 2nd jab. Don't think they would hire someone who is Unwilling to get the vaccine, but he is 21 so millenials know best right!?!?

18 minutes ago, Russ said:

Unless my work implaments a sick day program thats not gonna fly at my work very well.  Lots of times where guys are just worn out and their bodies just feel beat up and sick with winter weather and you can see people feel sick but no ones willing to take unpaid time off.  

Most jobs aren't going to give paid sick days as they know it will get abused even if it is legit. I know my boss won't do it, they are a small company who make good money but they don't give a crap about me as an employee and if i am not at work they consider that as negative value for them. It is sad and I never thought that is how they would be when I took this job earlier in the year, but i have to stick it out as I am not a post secondary educated person and I can't survive off a minimum wage job with a child arriving within the next month

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Yay!! Congrats Deb...been a long haul for everyone and it ain't over yet, but we are getting there day by day. Just need to get the people who are skeptical of the vaccine to take it, have a couple close people I know who "aren't in a rush" to get the vaccine...Sadly 1 of them is my best friend and the other is my cousin who has been applying to get a full time firefighting job, told him hey man...that is an essential worker type of job can almost guarantee any interview you get they are going to ask you if you have been vaccinated yet or are awaiting your 2nd jab. Don't think they would hire someone who is Unwilling to get the vaccine, but he is 21 so millenials know best right!?!?

Don’t be lumping us in with Gen Z :mad:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Most jobs aren't going to give paid sick days as they know it will get abused even if it is legit. I know my boss won't do it, they are a small company who make good money but they don't give a crap about me as an employee and if i am not at work they consider that as negative value for them. It is sad and I never thought that is how they would be when I took this job earlier in the year, but i have to stick it out as I am not a post secondary educated person and I can't survive off a minimum wage job with a child arriving within the next month

And that's my point. I am paid hourly and I have bills and a family. Unless work is going up implement paid sick days, guys will still show up sick. Just read over my union book, nothing about sickness so be interesting to see what union says if guys ever get sent home that don't want to be or can't financially afford it. 

I can't wait till next negotiations lol, we got screwed on our last ones. I'm going up be pushing for a sick day system like my old work, we had 6 days but if you didn't use any the company paid you out the 6 and gave you a kickback of 2 extra days for not using (or generally abusing which long weekends were common) 

Edited by Russ

2 hours ago, Russ said:

And that's my point. I am paid hourly and I have bills and a family. Unless work is going up implement paid sick days, guys will still show up sick. Just read over my union book, nothing about sickness so be interesting to see what union says if guys ever get sent home that don't want to be or can't financially afford it. 

I can't wait till next negotiations lol, we got screwed on our last ones. I'm going up be pushing for a sick day system like my old work, we had 6 days but if you didn't use any the company paid you out the 6 and gave you a kickback of 2 extra days for not using (or generally abusing which long weekends were common) 

It's really short sighted of employers to view things this way.  One sick employee who comes in to work can turn into several in no time.  If COVID's taught us anything it's that it's best to nip things in the bud rather than "after the fact".

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's really short sighted of employers to view things this way.  One sick employee who comes in to work can turn into several in no time.  If COVID's taught us anything it's that it's best to nip things in the bud rather than "after the fact".

I'm sure it's going to be a big thing for next negotiations next summer. But for now it's not in the contract so we now Damn well we won't ever get compensated for any sick time unless we want to pull from vacation pay. 

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Very good point. Hope this changes, but yes, I did not fully appreciate some of the struggles a lot of workers are forced to go through because of terrible sick day policies.

It's sad to see how so many people still need to decide between their own health or being able to pay off their bills. 

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm wondering how Covid vaccine passports will work.  I think we need them, but wonder if businesses want them?  Going to big events would be more comfortable knowing all attending are vaccinated too.  

Apparently Manitoba will have their own soon, can't remember where I read it but I did a quick overview read of what they were saying and seemed like it had holes in the plan they had to me anyway but I could be wrong.

We should have some form of proof that we should need to provide if we want to Travel, go to packed concerts/events etc. It won't be for life but it will be till Covid has been controlled or hopefully defeated completed at some point

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm wondering how Covid vaccine passports will work.  I think we need them, but wonder if businesses want them?  Going to big events would be more comfortable knowing all attending are vaccinated too.  

Well, we do have the BC Services card app that can access your records from the Health Gateway from your phone.  Your vaccinations are there.

I fully believe that for the next year or so that proof of vaccinations or proof of a negative Covid test from the previous 24 hours or less should be the requirement for attending events.  Period.  There are a number of places in the US that already require this.  MSG for one.  So the government should be working on providing a easy, and secure way to do this. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well, we do have the BC Services card app that can access your records from the Health Gateway from your phone.  Your vaccinations are there.

I fully believe that for the next year or so that proof of vaccinations or proof of a negative Covid test from the previous 24 hours or less should be the requirement for attending events.  Period.  There are a number of places in the US that already require this.  MSG for one.  So the government should be working on providing a easy, and secure way to do this. 

For the Canucks if they want proof of vaccination, they need to make sure its very streamline to get in the arena.  As next year will only have online tickets, they need to have a way to upload your proof to Ticketmaster.  So everyone attending already has their vaccine proof linked up with their tickets before they arrive.  Or season ticket holders can send proof right to the Canucks.  

• Cheers 1

Thanks Reddit.  China not messing around.  China will get to herd immunity as fast as they can.  Our anit-vaxxer friends are helping China "win".  So ask them why.  

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01545-3

China is vaccinating a staggering 20 million people a day

Scientists are impressed by China’s juggernaut of a vaccination drive, through which it is currently administering nearly 60% of all COVID-19 vaccine doses globally.