The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But if the vaccines they are injecting are only slightly more than 50% effective, can they truly reach herd immunity?  Especially considering how large their population is, and the fact that they were for the most part able to limit spread (through primarily draconian measures, it should be said), meaning that there's a good possibility that they could still be a ticking time bomb waiting to go off if the efficacy figures are truly correct.

Oh, but that is information that our antivaxxer friends don't want to admit.  Hence, another reason why we need to get to herd immunity ASAP.  

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The problem with the highlighted portion is that it's predicated on the assumption that everyone has an app-able device that can run that app.  That would preclude access to businesses and services to individuals who have been vaccinated but unable (or unwilling) to own or operate such a device, which wouldn't be right.

That's why I put the part that the government needs to figure out an easy and secure way to prove one's status.  I am 100% on board as I should be getting my 2nd dose shortly.  Fingers crossed.

• Cheers 1

The anti-vax thing just keeps getting dumber and dumber.....

Yesterday at a hearing in Ohio a doctor promoted an idea (that she had seen on the internet) that claimed Covid vaccines contain "metals" (or metallic crystals) that make vaccinated people "magnetic".

Later, a nurse tried to prove the theory, using a key and a bobby pin. The fact that her efforts failed didn't seem to faze her one bit....:rolleyes:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/an-anti-vax-nurse-tried-and-failed-to-make-a-key-stick-to-her-neck-as-proof-that-covid-19-vaccines-make-you-magnetic/ar-AAKTzFH?li=AAggFp5

A woman testifying at an Ohio Statehouse hearing made a failed attempt to get a key and a bobby pin to stick to her neck Tuesday, frustrating her attempt to prove a conspiracy theory that COVID-19 vaccines make people magnetic.

The woman, who was identified as a nurse by the local news site the Ohio Capital Journal, was speaking at a hearing to promote the GOP-sponsored House Bill 248, which addresses civil liberties around vaccines.

Taking the stand, the unnamed nurse tried a practical demonstration of the conspiracy theory. Video of the testimony was posted by the Ohio Capital Journal reporter Tyler Buchanan:

The nurse said she took her cues from an earlier speaker, the conspiracist doctor Sherri Tenpenny, who wrote "Saying No to Vaccines" and had been invited to the hearing by Republicans.

Tenpenny had falsely said the COVID-19 vaccine could make people "magnetized," claiming that people could "put spoons and forks all over" and they would stick because of magnetic particles in the vaccines.

"You were talking about Dr. Tenpenny's testimony about magnetic vaccine crystals?" the nurse said. "So this is what I found out."

"So I have a key and a bobby pin here," she continued, proceeding to put a key on her chest, where it stayed. "Explain to me why the key sticks to me."

She then put the key on her neck, where it fell off. Trying the same thing with a bobby pin, it fell off.

Nonetheless, she said: "It sticks to my neck too. Yeah so if somebody can explain this, it would be great. Any questions?"

First of all, wow....it's hard to believe that people can be this gullible....:picard:

Second, fire both of them. Any medical professional that promotes such a ridiculous narrative has no business treating patients...

EDIT: Here's a link to the original story about the so-called doctor:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/anti-vax-doctor-mocked-for-claiming-that-shots-will-magnetize-people/ar-AAKSwKL?li=AAggFp5

It's amazing that these people manage to get through life....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yesterday at a hearing in Ohio a doctor promoted an idea (that she had seen on the internet) that claimed Covid vaccines contain "metals" (or metallic crystals) that make vaccinated people "magnetic".

Later, a nurse tried to prove the theory, using a key and a bobby pin. The fact that her efforts failed didn't seem to faze her one bit....:rolleyes:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/an-anti-vax-nurse-tried-and-failed-to-make-a-key-stick-to-her-neck-as-proof-that-covid-19-vaccines-make-you-magnetic/ar-AAKTzFH?li=AAggFp5

First of all, wow....it's hard to believe that people can be this gullible....:picard:

Second, fire both of them. Any medical professional that promotes such a ridiculous narrative has no business treating patients...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/anti-vax-doctor-mocked-for-claiming-that-shots-will-magnetize-people/ar-AAKSwKL?li=AAggFp5

This is what scares me with the notion that soon the border will be opening and allowing these folks from entering, and like Canadians traveling the World. The only way to stop it is through vaccination passports. We've got our share of these "doctors" here in BC too. I guess "freedom of speech" is how they roll.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:42 AM, Russ said:

And that's my point. I am paid hourly and I have bills and a family. Unless work is going up implement paid sick days, guys will still show up sick. Just read over my union book, nothing about sickness so be interesting to see what union says if guys ever get sent home that don't want to be or can't financially afford it. 

I can't wait till next negotiations lol, we got screwed on our last ones. I'm going up be pushing for a sick day system like my old work, we had 6 days but if you didn't use any the company paid you out the 6 and gave you a kickback of 2 extra days for not using (or generally abusing which long weekends were common) 

That’s not pushing far enough, most places in the UK I have work have paid sick leave, and the policies often are based on length of service giving you more cover.

I know when I left an old work place I had the service that meant I would get 6 months full pay if sick, 3 months 75% and another 3 at 50%

if you are sick you self certify up to a week, after that you need a doctors note.

do some abuse it yes, but it also meant that sick people didn’t come in and so productivity was a lot better for it

Disappointing to hear from universities that they are still on the fence about letting people work from home or at the minimum employing a hybrid scenario. For entities to claim to care about wellbeing and the environment, it is completely contradictory to have people back in the office full time.

• Vintage 2

On 6/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

UK questioning whether to reopen because of variants and everyone here is expecting things to be "normal" in a couple months.

To put into context though it’s just the last stage of restrictions they are debating. We already have lifted most, have small crowds in sporting venues, can dine inside again, meet other people inside houses and go abroad on holiday to green zone countries without quarantine, amber zone with a 10 day quarantine after. Can work back in offices, the last step was the removal of masks the limits on sporting venues (and allowing ice rinks and theatres to reopen) and removing the social distancing measures allowing hospitality to operate at full capacity.

but pretty much most things are already lifted.

the delta variant is causing some concern as its 91% of the cases in the UK with 7000 cases recoded today which was last seen in Feb. However the variant is hitting the younger groups harder as the vaccine program seems to have broken the link for the over 60s which are fully vaccinated.

the UK is down to about 25 year olds for first vaccine doses now

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think for those employees where there are student-facing roles or instructional support roles, there's no avoiding a return to the office.  Most instructional academic offices can't afford to hire more staff to ensure proper coverage of in-person responsibilities (such as handling face-to-face student inquiries or setting up instructional or lab space), and the reduction in revenue due to this pandemic hasn't helped the chronic structural deficit issues most universities face.

Where there might be some hybrid arrangement are those roles that are more the administrative side, "central" roles as they were.  Employees whose work doesn't require facing students on a daily basis or don't need to support instructional or research activity in person.  I think you'll find that down the road, those roles will have some degree of "hybrid" remote working arrangements.

I work in government and the plan is to adopt some sort of Hybrid model going forward even when Covid becomes endemic.  In terms of work productivity, and meeting deadlines, it doesn't seem that our department has been adversely affected by working from home.  Yesterday, I paid a visit to the office to pick up a couple of things and saw a few co-workers in other departments that I used to talk to.  I didn't realize how just working from home full time had affected me.  Zoom meetings are not the same as actual face to face conversations with your colleagues.  My whole mental well being was improved just by that visit.  I thought it would be great working from home full time, not having to rush to get ready and making that commute to work but really, I think I need a change of scenery from time to time and that social interaction is important.  I'm hoping this hybrid model works.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Honestly, I knew from the get-go that this remote working arrangement was going to be trouble (for me), and that I would actually prefer to return to the office full time at some point down the road.  The reason for this is that when work was at the office, I could in good conscience leave work at the office and focus on my family while at home.  Nowadays, I'm working all hours of the day, to the exclusion of things I used to enjoy doing at home.

Unfortunately, the barn doors are now wide open and fallen off the hinges, while the farm animals are nowhere to be found.  I'm probably going to have to settle for some mixed arrangement where I do go to work in the office for up to 50% of my working time after this pandemic is over, but also have to take work home and sacrifice some family time on those days where I'm scheduled to work remotely for a stretch.  The "full time in the office" thing is likely not going to happen for my office after this pandemic, owing to a small office size and large number of employees - plus the demonstrated ability to deliver while working remotely and the fact that our office is leased and the lease expires in a year or two.  Hybrid it is.

I’m on 3-2 at the moment with the hybrid and it works well, and at the moment it’s advisory so if we want to work more days at home that’s fine.

I’m far more productive at home and also put more hours in, but I get what you mean about the separation of home and work, but having been into the office being there is  wetter than teams, a lot more ideas and problem solving you just don’t get when remote. I think and hope hybrid is the way of the future 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Honestly, I knew from the get-go that this remote working arrangement was going to be trouble (for me), and that I would actually prefer to return to the office full time at some point down the road.  The reason for this is that when work was at the office, I could in good conscience leave work at the office and focus on my family while at home.  Nowadays, I'm working all hours of the day, to the exclusion of things I used to enjoy doing at home.

Unfortunately, the barn doors are now wide open and fallen off the hinges, while the farm animals are nowhere to be found.  I'm probably going to have to settle for some mixed arrangement where I do go to work in the office for up to 50% of my working time after this pandemic is over, but also have to take work home and sacrifice some family time on those days where I'm scheduled to work remotely for a stretch.  The "full time in the office" thing is likely not going to happen for my office after this pandemic, owing to a small office size and large number of employees - plus the demonstrated ability to deliver while working remotely and the fact that our office is leased and the lease expires in a year or two.  Hybrid it is.

It doesn't work for everyone to be sure.  It took a lot of discipline to just shut my computer down when my work day was done.  Disconnecting from my VPN was the first step as I had the habit of leaving my computer logged in all the time.  It got so bad that one week I completely forgot that it was Saturday and checked in for work.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, there's a lot to be said about brainstorming or problem solving - or even addressing emergent issues - in person that you can't really get from a video-conferencing session.  It's hard to lead the team when you're not able to be there in person to bounce questions off of.  I'm just glad that I have a great team that is responsible and can almost run itself.

Shhhh.. don't tell my boss.... :P

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Love this line.

“Nine out of ten times, when there’s a new outbreak, you’ll find a lab that will be working on these kinds of viruses nearby,” says Munster.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3

The COVID lab-leak hypothesis: what scientists do and don’t know

Nature examines arguments that the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 escaped from a lab in China, and the science behind them.
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Love this line.

“Nine out of ten times, when there’s a new outbreak, you’ll find a lab that will be working on these kinds of viruses nearby,” says Munster.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3

The COVID lab-leak hypothesis: what scientists do and don’t know

Nature examines arguments that the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 escaped from a lab in China, and the science behind them.

I clicked on the link, purely in hopes that Munster's first name would turn out to be "Herman"....

....alas....I am disappoint....:sadno:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Does USA really have that low of standards for nurses or are there nurse professions that really include zero education?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

More likely it's just ignorance masquarading as "informed opinion" or possibly even "fact".

It was more of a backhanded comment lol :P In fairness friends of ours said their nurse friend was spewing nonsense like that and they were believing her.  

• Cheers 1

On 6/8/2021 at 6:57 AM, johngould21 said:

Like me, as well as my family. I intend on wearing a mask in a public place for a long time. The fact that I haven't had a cold or flu in a year and a half is two of the reasons.

Oddly enough I was at work, and over the weekend I developed a regular flu. Freaked me out. (This was last February?) So when I called in sick the first day I was well enough to drive to the mobile testing station to have (As it's been referred to) as your brain being scraped. 24 hours later they said nope not covid. It was pretty mild, more of a fever, and aches and pains, not much congestion. Guess we'll see what happens. I'm curious if we're going to need boosters once a year for 1-2 years?