The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh man, the UK is upto nearly 50,000 new cases in a single day!  I sure hope Canada isn't in for another wave ...

Unfortunately, I think we are.

My local rec center opened up for drop  in swims and such, but I didn't bother to buy a monthly pass. I figure we'll get about 2-3 weeks of  low restrictions, then have to tighten things up again.

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

My local rec center opened up for drop  in swims and such, but I didn't bother to buy a monthly pass. I figure we'll get about 2-3 weeks of  low restrictions, then have to tighten things up again.

I'm just holding out hope that our vaccination program has been stronger than others.  We don't have as many 2nd doses administered, but we have the most 1st doses administered in the developed world.  Also catching up with the 2nd doses too as I believe we are getting close to surpassing the USA soon.

The UK also likely used primarily AstraZeneca since that's where it was developed, whereas we have been primarily using Pfizer and Moderna. 

Those are my hopes anyways...

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

I’m ready:

image.thumb.jpeg.baf0070f9606de787f5e35fdd3183037.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Oh man, the UK is upto nearly 50,000 new cases in a single day!  I sure hope Canada isn't in for another wave ...

It'll be curious to see what hospitalization rates follow these spikes.  If the vast majority of the vaccinated people stay out of the hospitals things shouldn't get too bad.

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It'll be curious to see what hospitalization rates follow these spikes.  If the vast majority of the vaccinated people stay out of the hospitals things shouldn't get too bad.

Agreed.  This is something we'll have to live with; the key is not overloading the system like what happened in Italy.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'm just holding out hope that our vaccination program has been stronger than others.  We don't have as many 2nd doses administered, but we have the most 1st doses administered in the developed world.  Also catching up with the 2nd doses too as I believe we are getting close to surpassing the USA soon.

The UK also likely used primarily AstraZeneca since that's where it was developed, whereas we have been primarily using Pfizer and Moderna. 

Those are my hopes anyways...

Over 50s in the UK was AZ 40-50 could be either, under 40 is Pfizer, exception being those in higher risk catagories which were vaccinated in the first cohort.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/5a24d39a-a702-40d2-876d-b12a524dc9a5

AZ potentially could be better against Delta but that’s not confirmed 

but in the UK about 2/3 of those hospitalised haven’t had a jab and a handful have been double jabbed.

AZ and Pfizer are around 92% effective at reducing hospitalisation.

however a couple of the wife’s friends are ITU ward nurses and they have said that the wards are getting full again with predominantly younger people - because of not yet being double jabbed because of the roll out plan, but that there are fewer requiring intubation 

Edited by UKNuck96

B.C. is 80.5% first dose vaccinated, and 50% second dose vaccinated. Come on people get vaccinated. Don't be like those ugly Americans who won't or refuse to based on their rights and freedoms, or their political stripes. This is a Global virus, and thankfully Canada/B.C. are leading the way.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

B.C. is 80.5% first dose vaccinated, and 50% second dose vaccinated. Come on people get vaccinated. Don't be like those ugly Americans who won't or refuse to based on their rights and freedoms, or their political stripes. This is a Global virus, and thankfully Canada/B.C. are leading the way.

Bring back MSP premiums for those unvaccinated without a medical reason.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Bring back MSP premiums for those unvaccinated without a medical reason.

That and any medical support needed (even from your family dr.) because an antivaxxer is sick from Covid is user pay - in advance.  

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

31 yr old checking in.. 2nd dose just booked for the 25th :metal:  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I had reported what I saw on BC1 news this afternoon, showing the vaccination % for the Province. Low and behold, Global news at 6pm showed the Province at a smaller percentage of folks that have been vaccinated so far. How in hell can 2 news broadcasts not show the same numbers for their audiences? BC1 and Global are the same news outlet to boot. 

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Chatted with a guy from the UK earlier in the week, he said yea their cases are rising but hospitalizations really aren't going up like before.  He was trying to say how he feels even the AZ vaccine he got out there he feels is helping keep people out of the hospital.  But I guess only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Chatted with a guy from the UK earlier in the week, he said yea their cases are rising but hospitalizations really aren't going up like before.  He was trying to say how he feels even the AZ vaccine he got out there he feels is helping keep people out of the hospital.  But I guess only time will tell.

Hospitalisation are going up it’s just with a different group, it’s not reported as much but I trust my wife’s ITU nurse friends who have been working the COVID wards in two of our local hospitals 

• Vintage 1

On 7/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, Alflives said:

These vaccines are incredibly safe, and marvellously effective.  I expect we will have vaccine passports soon.  The Calgary Stampede requires proof of vaccination to get in.  Those who are a feared of vaccination will be limited in society.  

You've been to Calgary?  I'd make sure you got that dose of Pencillin for those "extracarricular activities" you undertook in the "Red Mile".:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

not going to post the full article as its long but worth a read on where we are at in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57858864

however the below might be of interest (by the BBC on the long term impact of covid)

Covid: Younger adults still at risk of serious organ damage - study

By Jim Reed
BBC News

Published
10 hours ago
comments
Comments