The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

According to data released by Pfizer, a second booster shot dramatically increases protection against the Delta variant:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/health/pfizer-third-dose-data-bn/index.html

I know that I'd be more than happy to take a third shot, if it provides that much of an increase in protection from Delta....

From the article:

"The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published."

Not that I don't trust pharmaceutical companies but it is in Pfizer's coroporate interest to promote/sell as many of these shots as they can.  I think I'll wait until other authorities have had a chance to study the data.

And it if it is accurate, by all means let's go.

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

Not that I don't trust pharmaceutical companies but it is in Pfizer's coroporate interest to promote/sell as many of these shots as they can.  I think I'll wait until other authorities have had a chance to study the data.

I don't disagree, but I'd rather roll the dice with another dose of a vaccine I've taken than the Delta variant.  I'll be taking my booster at soon as it's offered to me.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, except in a role where trust and integrity is an imperative, by trying to pull things fast and loose not only insults the intelligence of the people she's supposed to inform and serve, it strikes to the very heart of trust in the position (and in health expertise/science in general) and the integrity of the office.

Better to be forthright and expect flak than to pretend science is driving a political decision and being seen through for what it really is.

I don't disagree, but neither you nor I would be subjected to the ensuing flack,  and there would've likely been a LOT of it.  There were parents readying legal challenges to any mask mandates and even legal experts were saying they had legitimate cases - Horgan and Co. wanted nothing to do with that negative publicity.

As I said,  there was never going to be a 'please all' solution unfortunately.   But I agree,  typically honesty is the best policy  -  except for politicians sadly lol...

• Cheers 1

Two shots of Pfizer. But man, did the second shot do a number on me. I'm still feeling effects 5 days later. 

So if it helps with the Delta variant that's ok. 

(I was confused because the nurses desk said Moderna, but my card and email says Pfizer)

University is bringing everyone back middle of August and then going to implement some hybrid model a month later and the logic is lost as to the reason for this. There is no real gain or loss productivity wise; everyone is stuffed into smaller spaces with variants running rampant, etc. It costs everyone more time and money doing this. The university is justifying it as "other schools are doing it so we're doing it too" and "the building costs a lot to maintain especially when nobody is here."

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

17 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The university is justifying it as "other schools are doing it so we're doing it too" and "the building costs a lot to maintain especially when nobody is here."

Seems legit in the realm of academia where every move is based on research and best practices.....oh, wait a second....

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Which university are you with?  UBC's AMS (student society) just lambasted the university administration for doing the bare minimum while returning to "normal".  Good on them for standing up for the students (and faculty members).

So Pitt on Wednesday or no?

Beer gardens Friday? Those were the days.

B.C. declares COVID-19 outbreak in Central Okanagan, reimposes mask mandate

British Columbia is declaring a COVID-19 outbreak in the Central Okanagan after a rapid rise in cases in the region and is reimposing a local mask mandate, as well as other public health measures.

More than half of B.C.'s daily and active COVID-19 cases are concentrated in the area, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Wednesday during a teleconference.

"We are concerned in public health about the rapid increase in the Central Okanagan, particularly around the Kelowna area," said Henry, who was joined by Health Minister Adrian Dix and Dr. Sue Pollock, chief medical health officer for Interior Health.

Under the new health order, masks will be mandatory as of midnight in indoor public spaces and are being encouraged  outdoors when people cannot physically distance themselves.

Travel discouraged 

Travel to and from the region, which includes Kelowna, West Kelowna, Peachland and Lake Country, is also being strongly discouraged unless individuals are fully immunized.

"It's time to slow down and step back to protect our community," Pollock said at the teleconference.

She said the region will also be reducing the interval between first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to 28 days.

A return to normal for gatherings was announced on July 1 as part of Step 3 of the province's restart plan, but Pollock said it's recommended that people in the Okanagan avoid indoor gatherings in favour of outdoor.

She said the new cases in Interior Health since July 1 have primarily involved people who are 20 to 40 years old and those who are not fully vaccinated.

Henry said the spread of the delta variant in the area is especially concerning, but she believes the new measures will help flatten the spike in numbers.

"Because of the good work we have all done, I am confident that the measures that we are going to take will stop people from getting sick and will prevent ongoing transmission," she said.

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I don't disagree, but I'd rather roll the dice with another dose of a vaccine I've taken than the Delta variant.  I'll be taking my booster at soon as it's offered to me.

I agree with King....I've already taken 2 Pfizer shots. I don't really see a downside to a third, if it's offered by a medical professional....

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree with King....I've already taken 2 Pfizer shots. I don't really see a downside to a third, if it's offered by a medical professional....

I wasn't thinking of the health aspects of a third shot, I was thinking of the financial costs.  Is it really surprising that a drug company (or any other company) will come out and say people should use as much of their product as possible?

Let's wait for the results to be independently verified to ensure that we're getting a bang for our (taxpayer's) buck.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

B.C. declares COVID-19 outbreak in Central Okanagan, reimposes mask mandate

British Columbia is declaring a COVID-19 outbreak in the Central Okanagan after a rapid rise in cases in the region and is reimposing a local mask mandate, as well as other public health measures.

More than half of B.C.'s daily and active COVID-19 cases are concentrated in the area, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Wednesday during a teleconference.

"We are concerned in public health about the rapid increase in the Central Okanagan, particularly around the Kelowna area," said Henry, who was joined by Health Minister Adrian Dix and Dr. Sue Pollock, chief medical health officer for Interior Health.

Under the new health order, masks will be mandatory as of midnight in indoor public spaces and are being encouraged  outdoors when people cannot physically distance themselves.

Travel discouraged 

Travel to and from the region, which includes Kelowna, West Kelowna, Peachland and Lake Country, is also being strongly discouraged unless individuals are fully immunized.

"It's time to slow down and step back to protect our community," Pollock said at the teleconference.

She said the region will also be reducing the interval between first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to 28 days.

A return to normal for gatherings was announced on July 1 as part of Step 3 of the province's restart plan, but Pollock said it's recommended that people in the Okanagan avoid indoor gatherings in favour of outdoor.

She said the new cases in Interior Health since July 1 have primarily involved people who are 20 to 40 years old and those who are not fully vaccinated.

Henry said the spread of the delta variant in the area is especially concerning, but she believes the new measures will help flatten the spike in numbers.

"Because of the good work we have all done, I am confident that the measures that we are going to take will stop people from getting sick and will prevent ongoing transmission," she said.

meanwhile here in Alberta.........

Bell: Kenney, COVID and no apology for a mask-free Stampede | Calgary Sun

Edited by MikeBossy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Which university are you with?  UBC's AMS (student society) just lambasted the university administration for doing the bare minimum while returning to "normal".  Good on them for standing up for the students (and faculty members).

The big one in the valley. That's who they're following and I guess their approach is to do effectively nothing because we're doing nothing in turn. Thousands of students, staff in close quarters, masks aren't mandatory, no vaccination requirements, unclear what the protocol is if someone in the department does get the corona. When the expression a "return to normal" is used, they literally mean it in this regard. 

• Cheers 1

WOW just WOW:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-to-remove-most-covid-19-isolation-testing-requirements-by-mid-august-1.6121002

Alberta to remove most COVID-19 isolation, testing requirements by mid-August

Changes will occur in two-phases: Phase 1 starts July 29, Phase 2 in mid-August

Nicholas Frew · CBC News · Posted: Jul 28, 2021 11:52 AM MT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

dr-deena-hinshaw-june-29.jpg
Alberta's health-care system has to start preparing for other health challenges, such as the seasonal flu, said chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw. (Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
comments

Albertans who test positive for COVID-19 will no longer be required to enter isolation starting in less than three weeks, the province's chief medical officer of health said Wednesday.

The change is among a raft of public health amendments that are designed to help the health-care system respond to other emerging medical issues such as seasonal influenza, said Dr. Deena Hinshaw during a news conference. 

While a recent rise in COVID-19 cases has caused some anxiety, increasing vaccination rates are limiting the threat of severe outcomes and strains on the health-care system, she said. 

As a result, the province will start transitioning COVID-19 protocols to be similar to those of the flu and other communicable diseases.

"When we first heard of COVID-19, we knew little of the virus and we had no treatments and no vaccines … Today, we are in a very different place," said Hinshaw.

"Vaccines are able to drastically reduce the risk of not only contracting the virus, but more importantly, getting severely ill. From a public health standpoint, this has changed how we need to look at the virus."

Alberta's health-care system has to start preparing for other health challenges, such as the seasonal flu, said Hinshaw, citing that there were zero cases identified last fall but officials expect that to change.

Changes to certain COVID-19 rules and protocols will take place in two phases, and they will be implemented over a period of a few weeks. 

Starting Thursday, anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or who received a positive test result must isolate. The quarantine period for their close contacts, however, will shift from mandatory to recommended, a government release says.

That all changes on August 16 in Phase 2 when isolation following a positive test will no longer be required. It is still strongly recommended, Hinshaw said. 

Quarantine could be required in some "high-risk settings or for outbreak management," Hinshaw noted.

Anyone who isn't fully immunized should avoid public places for two weeks, she added.

Anyone who tests positive will be notified, but contact tracers will no longer notify close contacts of exposure. That responsibility will fall to those who test positive for the illness.

edm-Hinshaw-COVIDnotgoingaway-WEB-July28

Alberta reduces COVID-19 measures, cites need to focus on all respiratory infections

6 hours ago
1:41
Noting that “we will be needing to live with this virus for years to come,” Dr. Deena Hinshaw says it's time for the health system focus on the wide range of respiratory infections that affect Albertans. 1:41

Contact tracers will keep investigating cases at high-risk settings, such as acute and continuing care facilities.

Outbreak management will also focus on high-risk settings, including "high-risk workplaces." Community outbreaks with a surge of severe outcomes will "be addressed as needed," the release says.

Asymptomatic testing will no longer be recommended, but testing will remain available to people showing symptoms.

"This will help reduce wait times and ensure timely results in the coming months," said Hinshaw.

Mask mandates remain in effect when inside acute and continuing care facilities, or when riding in public transit, taxis or ride-share vehicles.

Officials will monitor the impact these changes have and adapt them as needed over the next two weeks, Hinshaw said.

Universal masking will not be required in schools once students return, Hinshaw said, but masks can be used as a temporary outbreak intervention in response to respiratory outbreaks. 

COVID-19 testing, provincial monitoring, outbreak management in high-risk settings "and other key measures" will remain in place, the release says.

Isolation hotels and quarantine supports will no longer be available as of the start of Phase 2. COVID-19 testing will continue to be available for Albertans with symptoms "when it is needed to help direct patient care decisions," the release says.

Phase 2 slated to begin in mid-August

Phase 2 of the province's transition is slated for Aug. 16, at which time most COVID-19 protocols will be lifted.

Mask mandates will be lifted, though some may be required in acute or continuing care facilities.

The province says masks won't be mandatory at schools, but could be recommended for temporary outbreak intervention. A document to guide back-to-school is being drafted and will be released mid-August.

student-mask.jpg
Masks will not be mandatory to be worn in schools as of Aug. 16, the Alberta government announced Wednesday. (City of Vaughan)

Isolating after a positive COVID-19 test will no longer be required, but "strongly recommended," the release says. People with symptoms of any respiratory infection should still stay home until symptoms are gone.

Isolation hotels and quarantine support will no longer be available.

Testing will be available to people with symptoms when it's needed to direct patient care decisions.

It will be available through assessment centres until Aug. 31, then primary care facilities such as doctors offices after that. Anyone with severe illness that needs urgent or emergency care can be tested in acute care facilities and hospitals.

COVID-19 testing will be offered in high-risk outbreaks, such as in continuing care facilities and outbreak management and preventative measures will stay focused on outbreaks in high-risk settings, it says.

The government said public health will focus on investigating severe outcomes that require hospitalization, as well as any COVID-19 deaths.

A wastewater baseline testing program will be launched during Phase 2 to see the trends in various regions and monitor coronavirus variants of concerns.

"Testing wastewater has proven to be an accurate and valuable tool in providing early warning of a possible rise in cases," Hinshaw said.

194 new COVID-19 cases reported Tuesday

Alberta public health officials are reporting 194 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday — most of which are people who have not received the COVID-19 vaccine, said Hinshaw.

Since Tuesday, two more people are being treated for COVID-19 in hospital, but three patients were removed from the intensive care unit. There are 84 hospitalizations, including 18 in ICU as of Wednesday.

There were about 7,100 tests conducted Tuesday and Alberta's test-positivity rate is 2.9 per cent.

Of Albertans aged 12 and up, 75.6 per cent have received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine; 64.3 per cent have received both doses, according to a news release issued by the Alberta government.

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, except in a role where trust and integrity is an imperative, by trying to pull things fast and loose not only insults the intelligence of the people she's supposed to inform and serve, it strikes to the very heart of trust in the position (and in health expertise/science in general) and the integrity of the office.

Better to be forthright and expect flak than to pretend science is driving a political decision and being seen through for what it really is.

Same thing as when Fauci said masks don't work then later admitting to lying to the public about it purposely. (When a realistic solution was just tell people to make their own face coverings, ala scarves/bandana's/exc. which many ended up doing anyways) 

• Vintage 1