The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Australia is getting silly with their protests.

Watched some footage of the crowds acting dumb, trying to freak out the police horses. They should let those mounted cops gallop through the lot of them.

France is also hitting the streets to annoy each other. 

There's a trend going on about the strength of the vaccine, and how after 4-6 months the effectiveness of it drops which is pushing people to get a 3rd shot. About a month ago Israel claimed the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine wasn't 95% and that it was more around 64%, the vaccine companies denied this and didn't believe them. Well now the Pfizer CEO is saying it does drop about 4-6 months after 2nd shot to 84% effective and are pushing for a 3rd shot to hopefully bring the effectiveness back up.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Bad, bad, news from the states.

Florida with largest one day total 21,638 over 24 hrs.

New Orleans 911 overwhelmed

Austin with just 9 icu beds left.

Overseas Tokyo numbers are up as well

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/covid-19-live-updates-florida-reports-largest-single-day-increase-in-cases-ever/ar-AAMzABZ?ocid=msedgntp

The United States is facing a COVID-19 surge this summer as the more contagious delta variant spreads.

More than 613,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 and over 4.2 million people have died worldwide, according to real-time data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.

MORE: CDC backtracks on masks guidance for vaccinated people, schools

MORE: Statistics show the stark risks of not getting vaccinated against COVID-19

Just 57.9% of Americans ages 12 and up are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC on Tuesday, citing new science on the transmissibility of the delta variant, changed its mask guidance to now recommend everyone in areas with substantial or high levels of transmission -- vaccinated or not -- wear a face covering in public, indoor settings.

Latest Developments

July 31, 2021

US reports another huge single-day increase in cases

The United States has reported over 100,000 new COVID-19 cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There were 101,171 new COVID-19 cases reported to the CDC on July 30.

The last time the U.S. saw over 100,000 cases reported in a single day was nearly six months ago on Feb. 6.

On Friday, the CDC reported that the U.S. saw 86,000 cases in the previous 24 hours. That total had been the largest since Feb. 12, as the country began to come out of the surge seen in late December 2020 and early January.

Officials have said the delta variant is driving the increase in cases and continue to push the unvaccinated to get the shot.

July 31, 2021

Florida sees largest single-day increase of COVID-19 cases ever

Florida reported its largest single-day increase of COVID-19 cases since the start of the pandemic on Saturday. 

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 21,683 people tested positive for the coronavirus in the last 24 hours.

Cases have risen sharply in the past month in Florida, fueled by the highly transmissible delta variant. On Friday, the state reported over 110,000 new COVID-19 in the past week -- the highest weekly increase since the start of the year.

July 31, 2021

Austin, Texas, has just 9 ICU beds left

Austin, Texas, has just nine ICU beds available for its population of 2.3 million, as of Saturday, according to the state’s coronavirus tracker. 

The Austin area is currently treating 400 COVID-19 patients in hospitals. The 7-day moving average for hospitalizations in a week has increased over 47% from 34 to 50 new admissions on July 30, according to an Austin Public Health news release.

“We are running out of time and our community must act now,” Austin-Travis County Health Authority Dr. Desmar Walkes said on the crisis. “Our ICU capacity is reaching a critical point where the level of risk to the entire community has significantly increased, and not just to those who are needing treatment for COVID. If we fail to come together as a community now, we jeopardize the lives of loved ones who might need critical care.”

July 31, 2021

New Orleans runs out of capacity to respond to 911 calls 

New Orleans’ EMS department has become so hard hit by the pandemic and the rampant delta variant, it does not have the capacity to respond to 911 calls, Mayor LaToya Cantrell said Friday. 

“One of our primary and premiere public safety agencies, EMS, was hit very hard with COVID, we’re experiencing that this week, today, right now,” Cantrell said. 

The crisis prompted Cantrell to issue an emergency contract to increase the city’s capacity on the ground, “because we currently do not have the capacity to respond to 911 calls that come from our community right now,” she said. 

On Friday Cantrell enacted an indoor mask mandate, which requires all people regardless of vaccination status to wear a mask indoors. The mayor also announced that all city employees will be required to be vaccinated, hoping the decision will prompt private businesses to issue similar orders for their workers.

“Our children are dying,” she said. “From 2 weeks old to 2 years old to 4 years old, you cannot make it up.”

She cited that the city has recorded over 1,000 new cases just over this past week. 

At the press briefing when Cantrell was asked whether she worries about losing employees who don't want to get a shot, she said, “Well I'm worried about city employees as it relates to death due to this virus."

-ABC News’ Joshua Hoyos and Will McDuffie.

July 31, 2021

White House says about 3 million received 1st COVID-19 shot in the past week

The White House offered a glimmer of hope in the COVID-19 crisis Saturday as the nation continues to grapple with the delta variant. 

For the first time “in a long stretch” the U.S. recorded four days in a row where over 700,000 COVID-19 vaccines were given out, White House Chief of Staff Ronald Klain tweeted Saturday. 

Overall, about 3 million people got their first vaccine shot over the past seven days, Klain said. 

-ABC News’ Joshua Hoyos

July 31, 2021

CDC director says ‘no federal vaccine mandate’

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky caused a stir on Fox News on Friday when asked, “Are you for mandating a vaccine on a federal level?” to which she replied, “That’s something that I think the administration is looking into.”

Walensky later clarified her comments on Twitter saying: “There will be no nationwide mandate. I was referring to mandates by private institutions and portions of the federal government. There will be no federal mandate.”

-ABC News’ Ahmad Hemingway

July 31, 2021

4,058 new cases reported in Tokyo, a 217% increase since last week

At lest 4,058 new cases of COVID-19 were reported Saturday in Tokyo, according to the city's coronavirus information website.

Of those cases, 95 are severe and three have resulted in death.

The new figure marks a 217% increase in cases since last Saturday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is today's news, the link also contains stories from yesterday.

Edited by gurn
  • Sad 2

On 7/30/2021 at 4:55 AM, Russ said:

I don't believe from what I have read that it came from a lab but probably from those god awful wet markets, is anyone going to go and force China to shut those down to try and prevent this again?  I would highly doubt it.

If it is from a wet market, this is what, the 4th major disease to come out of there in the last 20 years? Of course China will never shut them down, or they will for a few months until everyone forgets like last time.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

just the term....wet market

can the name of a place sound any yuckier? 

Well, we have wet markets in Canada, it's just a name. The problem with the ones in China are the abhorrent sanitary standards for keeping live animals.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I dunno... slaughterhouse is right up there, if not past it.  Abattoir sounds so much more... "elegant"?  "sophisticated?" ...at least less yucky than "slaughterhouse".  :P

you make a great point but slaughterhouse tells you its tale in it's title.

wet market makes you figure it out... they are putting the bodies on ice...the floor is always wet from the dripping flesh..

yuck.

ok, I'll admit it, I'm a vegetarian. :P

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Australia is getting silly with their protests.

Watched some footage of the crowds acting dumb, trying to freak out the police horses. They should let those mounted cops gallop through the lot of them.

France is also hitting the streets to annoy each other. 

This was about 5 days ago. Elysee Palace is where French President Macron lives.

That open door oooof.

3 hours ago, Kurgom said:

If it is from a wet market, this is what, the 4th major disease to come out of there in the last 20 years? Of course China will never shut them down, or they will for a few months until everyone forgets like last time.

That's what they did with the Sars outbreak in 2013 (I think that's when it was?) they were shut down temp but came right back. Until crap like that, where the facts keep pointing to them creating diseases, get shut down then there's another chance something will come out of it again that will effect livestock or humans. Issue is nobody will piss off China and they will continue pulling this crap until the end of time. 

20 minutes ago, Russ said:

That's what they did with the Sars outbreak in 2013 (I think that's when it was?) they were shut down temp but came right back. Until crap like that, where the facts keep pointing to them creating diseases, get shut down then there's another chance something will come out of it again that will effect livestock or humans. Issue is nobody will piss off China and they will continue pulling this crap until the end of time. 

And we, the consumers of the west, will continue to buy cheap stuff from them, cause.......... cheap.

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This was sort of my thinking as well, although I believe there still might be vaccine hesitant people in the US, as apposed to the hardcore anti-vaxxers. This is why I would advocate for a final push to see if those people can be swayed and include a hard deadline.

After that, the free vaccines get shipped off to places where they'll be used and anyone who changes their mind after that (In the US or Canada) pays for it.

We are starting to see uptick in vaccination rates amongst those that live in the Deep South.

Hopefully rates go up because Mississippi was at like 33% or so, but that’s a different country down there.

Also still lot of younger people feel that they don’t need the vaccine.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

And we, the consumers of the west, will continue to buy cheap stuff from them, cause.......... cheap.

Yup no other country will ever be able to match their manufacturing abilities no matter how hard we try.

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yup no other country will ever be able to match their manufacturing abilities no matter how hard we try.

Then build you know quality products? Market share isn't the end all be all. As long as customers see value, and quality. 

Yes, a coffee maker can be cheap, and it breaks in months. Or you can buy a French Press, or a quality expresso machine that lasts for years. 

Usually when I pay a little bit more than the cheaper brands, I find they last longer, and don't frustrate me. 

I can't believe I heard this right.  They can't possibly be this stupid can they?  And they're going to flood bc in the next month

"Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw, in her first COVID-19 update since June 29, announced Wednesday that starting Aug. 16, people who test positive for COVID-19 will not be mandated to quarantine anymore, but the province will recommend it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2021/7/28/1_5527222.html

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I can't believe I heard this right.  They can't possibly be this stupid can they?  And they're going to flood bc in the next month

"Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw, in her first COVID-19 update since June 29, announced Wednesday that starting Aug. 16, people who test positive for COVID-19 will not be mandated to quarantine anymore, but the province will recommend it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2021/7/28/1_5527222.html

Apparently the doctors and medical professionals are pushing back on this mandate. But hell what do they know? The little man with the big hat is an expert on this, so he says.

• Cheers 1

Just now, johngould21 said:

Apparently the doctors and medical professionals are pushing back on this mandate. But hell what do they know? The little man with the big hat is an expert on this, so he says.

There have been some baffling decisions during this pandemic, but this one goes beyond stupid

• Upvote 2