The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 hours ago, Kragar said:

Yep. Better care, better food, water, and/or air quality can all play a part.

Yeah, environment and nutrition play a role but more impact may be due to the pre existing health of the population at risk.  So if there are more people with chronic illness at the epicenter of the attack, more will die than if it occured in a healthier population. 

Agree with better care here. But when a health system is overwhelmed (Wuhan is over 10 million), lot of people will not get enough or prompt care.  Also, it is flu season.  Many people with any symptom (can be flu or cold and not the Novel coronavirus) will want to be checked and swamp the ER.  Treatment is mainly supportive and isolation, and so if they are out of hospital rooms, supplies, healthcare workers, more people will die than otherwise be saved. 

That's why they built 2 new hospitals in a week. The epicenter was locked down Jan 22, so about 10 days now. More cases are expected. But I think Canada will be fine. 

My hospital in NYC just distributed policies too, and everyone is made to be on alert for travel history and contact with people under investigation for suspected cases. 

• Cheers 1

8th Coronavirus Case Confirmed In US As Apple Shutters Stores Across China

Update (1255ET): According to officials with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the first case of novel coronavirus has been confirmed in the state on Saturday afternoon. 

Boston health officials said the man is in his 20s, contracted the deadly virus after he returned from a trip in Wuhan, China. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/second-chinese-city-bars-residents-leaving-their-homes-hong-kong-workers-demand-city

corona.jpg

• Upvote 1

New York City has its first suspected case of coronavirus

Sat 1 Feb 2020 21:36:14 GMT

Patient is at Bellevue hospital

New York City health officials announced today that a patient at Bellevue hospital is suspected to have coronavirus.

They're sending a sample to the CDC to confirm and if so, it would be the first case in the city. Suspicious are high because the patient tested negative for influenza and other common illnesses.

The patient is under-40 and in stable conditions. Results are expected in 36-48 hours.

The person has a travel history to China but other details are unclear. This would be the ninth case in the US after one person was confirmed to have contracted the disease Friday near Boston.

Hubei province reports 1,921 new coronavirus cases

Sat 1 Feb 2020 22:23:06 GMT

45 new deaths

45 new deaths

Hubei province -- the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak -- reported 1,921 new cases on Saturday, that's the worst day yet. It's up from 1,347 reported a day earlier. The total is now 9,056 in the province.

The number of new deaths were 45, the same as a day earlier. The total in the province is 294.

The national tally will be released later and including this number it should be at least 14,000.
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hubei province reports 1,921 new coronavirus cases

Sat 1 Feb 2020 22:23:06 GMT

45 new deaths

45 new deaths

Hubei province -- the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak -- reported 1,921 new cases on Saturday, that's the worst day yet. It's up from 1,347 reported a day earlier. The total is now 9,056 in the province.

The number of new deaths were 45, the same as a day earlier. The total in the province is 294.

The national tally will be released later and including this number it should be at least 14,000.

1 in 30.8 people, infected passed away. first time over 3%. Hopefully just a anomaly.

Hey everyone, I just need to say that I am very sad with the response my home country has shown to the other Canadians that are in Wuhan. There are many countries that are acting swiftly in evacuating it's citizens yet my Canadian friends and I have rarely heard a peep about evacuating the Canadians. Unfortunately I will not be on that plane because my wife and kids are Chinese and I will not leave them but it would certainately be nice to see my Candian friends in Wuhan have a chance to be evacuated.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 3:45 AM, Jaimito said:

Yeah, environment and nutrition play a role but more impact may be due to the pre existing health of the population at risk.  So if there are more people with chronic illness at the epicenter of the attack, more will die than if it occured in a healthier population. 

Agree with better care here. But when a health system is overwhelmed (Wuhan is over 10 million), lot of people will not get enough or prompt care.  Also, it is flu season.  Many people with any symptom (can be flu or cold and not the Novel coronavirus) will want to be checked and swamp the ER.  Treatment is mainly supportive and isolation, and so if they are out of hospital rooms, supplies, healthcare workers, more people will die than otherwise be saved. 

That's why they built 2 new hospitals in a week. The epicenter was locked down Jan 22, so about 10 days now. More cases are expected. But I think Canada will be fine. 

My hospital in NYC just distributed policies too, and everyone is made to be on alert for travel history and contact with people under investigation for suspected cases. 

I can't believe my doctor's office...has signs up in ENGLISH only asking people with symptoms who have recently traveled to China to report to them.  Except I doubt most could/would read those signs.

RGH should really be proactive but not sure if they are (won't go in there to "check"...but do have to go for a test at some point but am waiting for things to calm down first).

The thing with policies is having them standardized and consistent in order to be effective.  

6 hours ago, smokes said:

Hey everyone, I just need to say that I am very sad with the response my home country has shown to the other Canadians that are in Wuhan. There are many countries that are acting swiftly in evacuating it's citizens yet my Canadian friends and I have rarely heard a peep about evacuating the Canadians. Unfortunately I will not be on that plane because my wife and kids are Chinese and I will not leave them but it would certainately be nice to see my Candian friends in Wuhan have a chance to be evacuated.

I understand your anxiety over it, but you can't expect our government to be there for everyone's choices on immediate 24/7 notice. When you choose to leave the country you take risks. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I can't believe my doctor's office...has signs up in ENGLISH only asking people with symptoms who have recently traveled to China to report to them.  Except I doubt most could/would read those signs.

RGH should really be proactive but not sure if they are (won't go in there to "check"...but do have to go for a test at some point but am waiting for things to calm down first).

The thing with policies is having them standardized and consistent in order to be effective.  

I wouldn't be too worried Deb, I'm sure they know. 

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I understand your anxiety over it, but you can't expect our government to be there for everyone's choices on immediate 24/7 notice. When you choose to leave the country you take risks. 

Same idea when people go out of the country without travel insurance, get hurt then try and use the media, etc. to get the government to fund their return.  Like with that older fellow not long ago who had some heart condition, didn't want to pay the higher insurance premium and was stuck in Mexico (I think thats where it was) and his daughter wanted the government to fund transport back home for him because they couldn't afford it.  Always a risk when you leave without having the funds or insurance in place.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, smokes said:

It makes you wonder what the problem is. They had no trouble sending 7-8 planes to Syria to lift refugees out of there. Other countries are getting their people out. Do you think the Chinese are not co-operating because it is Canada?