The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

15 Among Brazilian Delegation That Met With Trump Now Have Coronavirus 

General Augusto Heleno, 72, confirms he has coronavirus, along many others who traveled with Bolsonaro to Mar-a-Lago on March 7, Brazil's Globo newspaper reports. 

'Please Stop Shooting Each Other': Baltimore Mayor Begs Residents To Keep Hospital Beds Clear For Coronavirus Patients

"We cannot clog up our hospitals and their beds with people that are being shot senselessly."

US Restaurant Association Projects Up To 7 Million Jobs Lost Over 3 Months

Seeking $455 billion in total federal aid due to coronavirus hit...

Tesla Employees Forced To Use Paid Time Off If Staying Home For Covid-19

Those who run out of PTO can "borrow" 80 hours from the company. How nice...

62% Of Americans Believe Media Has Exaggerated Covid-19 Risk, New Poll Shows

Majority think press has overhyped the threat...

Covid-19 Could Bankrupt Most Airlines By End Of May

"...many airlines have probably already been driven into technical bankruptcy..." 

100 Iranians Die By Alcohol Poisoning After Ethanol Consumption For Virus "Cure"

Over a thousand hospitalized after 'home remedy' rumor spreads on how to disinfect...

We never knew how good we had it.

or

We never knew human stupidity could be this deadly.

Makes me sad, aka its time for a drink. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Ew.  I'm personally using them everywhere possible.

they are better than nothing - but the problem is that killing viruses is far more difficult and unrealistic than washing them off your hands.

People can make their own sanitizers - using vinegar, lemon, tea tree, nutribiotic, etc - if they need to.

but a squirt of hand sanitizer is never something I'd consider that effective or food safe.    and if it's not hands free - you're simply touching high traffic surfaces - and that's probably a worse idea than is the positive potential effect of a 'sanitizer'.   You would never take a squirt of that jizz and then go make sandwiches - that would be completely inadequate = is not food safe.  There is a reason we wash our hands.  That too is imperfect, but the entire point of all of this is harm and risk reduction.  There is not going to be the elimination of the risk - but that fact is not reason to fail to practice all the risk prevention possible.  In the end handwashing - simple soap and water - and making it accessible - is far better than hand sanitizers.

And where the matter of masks is concerned - they can protect people and prevent spread - but the majority of transmission of viruses like this takes place from hands and surfaces/objects - so in the end the greatest effect is gained in being careful around what we handle, touch - and in keeping our hands clean.  People can mock the simplicity of it - but doing so it irresponsible imo.   80% transmission of viruses by hands/surface and objects combined with the fact we're dealing with a virus that can live outside the body on surfaces like metal and plastic for days - and what you do with your hands becomes critically important.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

they are better than nothing - but the problem is that killing viruses is far more difficult and unrealistic than washing them off your hands.

People can make their own sanitizers - using vinegar, lemon, tea tree, nutribiotic, etc - if they need to.

but a squirt of hand sanitizer is never something I'd consider that effective or food safe.    and if it's not hands free - you're simply touching high traffic surfaces - and that's probably a worse idea than is the positive potential effect of a 'sanitizer'.   You would never take a squirt of that jizz and then go make sandwiches - that would be completely inadequate = is not food safe.  There is a reason we wash our hands.  That too is imperfect, but the entire point of all of this is harm and risk reduction.  There is not going to be the elimination of the risk - but that fact is not reason to practice all the risk prevention possible.  In the end handwashing - simple soap and water - and making it accessible - is far better than hand sanitizers.

And where the matter of masks is concerned - they can protect people and prevent spread - but the majority of transmission of viruses like this takes place from hands and surfaces/objects - so in the end the greatest effect is gained in being careful around what we handle, touch - and in keeping our hands clean.  People can mock the simplicity of it - but doing so it irresponsible imo.   80% transmission of viruses by hands/surface and objects combined with the fact we're dealing with a virus that can live outside the body on surfaces like metal and plastic for days - and what you do with your hands becomes critically important.

Oh no question.  Coworker went for hand sanitizer when the sink was an option and he changed his mind and washed his hands.  We have to stop being so polite and start calling people out on endangering others.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HI5 said:

2/5 Americans believed Coronavirus was contracted from drinking Corona Beer. 

Poll: 30% of GOP voters support bombing Agrabah, the city from Aladdin

Almost one-third of Republican primary voters would support bombing the fictional kingdom of Agrabah, according to a report released by Public Policy Polling on Friday.

More than 530 Republican primary voters were polled this week on their support for Republican candidates and foreign policy issues including banning Muslims from entering the US, Japanese internment camps from the second world war and bombing Agrabah, the kingdom from Disney’s animated classic, Aladdin.

In its poll, Public Policy Polling asked the 532 Republicans: “Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?” While 57% of responders said they were not sure, 30% said they supported bombing it. Only 13% opposed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/18/republican-voters-bomb-agrabah-disney-aladdin-donald-trump

The story is 4 years old. But it appears the mindset has only got worse.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Obviously leaving your house frequently is irresponsible, but the use of sanitizers is still a valid conversation to have considering there are circumstances where certain people must leave the house (not everywhere has grocery delivery or deliveries are backlogged for weeks)

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You're missing the point.  What you state is true only to the extent that it is possible.  Self-isolation, unfortunately, has it's limits.  You can't self isolate health care professionals/providers - and likewise with the food supply chain - a point which people need to access.  The reality is that there is not capacity to provide universal delivery/online purchasing etc - and not everyone was able to stock up enough, or can afford to 'stockpile'. 

That intersection where people need to re-access - outside of self-isolation - is the point of addressing that specific vulnerability - that hasn't adequately been gameplanned by public officials or private industry.

I understand that everyone needs to leave their house eventually, but if you're healthy and have the luxury of working from home, you really only should be going out once or twice a week to stock up on food and supplies. Now that schools and most workplaces are shutting down, most everything else can be done remotely. For context, I'm riding this out in NYC (I know, probably not the best place to be atm). It's only when it gets really bad that you start to realize what the "essentials" really are. I have neighbors who think they need to go to the liquor store to grab some wine, or who think they have to make a trip to the supermarket just stock up on snacks and popcorn. It's these same people who get infected. BC is relatively okay right now compared to some other places, which is why it's imperative that British Columbians understand that there's only really one way to combat the issue. 

In all actuality, both of us are missing the entire point. This specific strand of Coronavirus is especially bad because unlike other types, it's managed to successfully and quickly replicate within humans at a high rate. When all's said and done - given its high contagious rate - more than half of us will end up getting infected, probably more. Honestly, just go outside only when you need to while taking the necessary precautions. Gloves/masks/etc. will only protect you so much - in all reality you will probably get infected if you end up in the vicinity of infected people who are there/who have recently been there. It's a bit of a lottery in that sense. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Oh no question.  Coworker went for hand sanitizer when the sink was an option and he changed his mind and washed his hands.  We have to stop being so polite and start calling people out on endangering others.

I spoke with the manager of a local grocer today who 100% agreed with what I was showing them - that no one entering their premises is using even a hand sanitizer - and that no one is tracking the number os people in their stores.

Further agreed that as opposed to reactive measures - once people have already entered with unwashed hands - it is better to practice prevention at the point of entry.  Trying to wipe all baskets, surfaces, carts, etc etc is helpful - but you missed the opportunity to reduce the risk at the point of entry with simple hand washng.

They suggested that they can't expect customers to wash their hands, though.

That's where we disagreed. 

Not only can you expect it - even require it - but I think most people - particularly their elderly customers that nevertheless show up and shop for themselves - people who are directly and immediately at risk - I think it would assist in protecting them, and give everyone reason to have slightly more confidence that we are being practical and proactive in ways that are relatively simple and reasonable.

If you don't want to wash your hands - you're welcome to order online, shop elsewhere (if they permit you, although I think arguably they should not) - or get someone else to do your shopping.

People are shutting down businesse, stopping airlines, closing borders....and we're really going to protest over washing our hands.  That would be juvenile imo.  I think the vast majority of people would/should receive that as a welcome stepping up of best practices under the circumstances.  If we can tell 5 year olds to wash their hands before eating dinner - we as a society ought to be capable of tolerating the practice in the midst of what is considered a global crisis.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I understand that everyone needs to leave their house eventually, but if you're healthy and have the luxury of working from home, you really only should be going out once or twice a week to stock up on food and supplies. Now that schools and most workplaces are shutting down, most everything else can be done remotely. For context, I'm riding this out in NYC (I know, probably not the best place to be atm). It's only when it gets really bad that you start to realize what the "essentials" really are. I have neighbors who think they need to go to the liquor store to grab some wine, or who think they have to make a trip to the supermarket just stock up on snacks and popcorn. It's these same people who get infected. BC is relatively okay right now compared to some other places, which is why it's imperative that British Columbians understand that there's only really one way to combat the issue. 

In all actuality, both of us are missing the entire point. This specific strand of Coronavirus is especially bad because unlike other types, it's managed to successfully and quickly replicate within humans at a high rate. When all's said and done - given its high contagious rate - more than half of us will end up getting infected, probably more. Honestly, just go outside only when you need to while taking the necessary precautions. Gloves/masks/etc. will only protect you so much - in all reality you will probably get infected if you end up in the vicinity of infected people who are there/who have recently been there. It's a bit of a lottery in that sense. 

I agree with the common sense first paragraph - I think it goes without saying at this point - most places are relative ghost-town levels of activity - for good reason.

The second point is where you either make the effort to deal with the virus or you fail.

When all is said and done - there is a critical point at which a pandemic becomes near universal as you suggest.  Most experts think that a transmission rate in the area of 1% represents something 'out of control' to the point that it then represents the threat of reaching 30-70% of a populatiion.

The entire point of early, decisive, thorough action is to prevent it from reaching that 'curve'.

Some places have succeeded, others have not.  

The point is to be one of those places that succeeds.

Right now - one of the critical remaining vulnerabilities - remains at those places where people cannot and do not self-isolate  - or rather - have to intermittently break their self-isolation to get access to food.

That is entirely my point.  Those are sites where improvement of how this is handled is extremely possible - and necessary.

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How can 62% of Americans be that irretrievably and categorically stupid beyond measure? 

Rush Limbaugh has around 16 million listeners per week and spews nothing but fear. Plus, the church likes keeping people in control, and keeping them stupid and fearful is great way to do so.  

That's a 1-2 punch, and there's more.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Public health will not test you here even if you have symptoms (and a request from a doctor) unless you are in distress.

I basically had a public health nurse give me a management plan to tell me what to look out to seek further medical attention via the ER or calling them back. 

I am asthmatic and my asthma is crazy, coughing non stop, wheezing after coughing or walking up hill or cleaning my house. Also my chest hurts so badly.

I am in quarantine now till the end of March.

So frustrating. The confirmed case numbers is a sham because of this.

Canada is going to wait till its too late before taking appropriate measures.

Take Care

Edited by naslund.is.king
  • Huggy Bear 1

So it went from a full on free for all at grocery stores to me getting a talking to at the self check out at save on 15 minutes ago for buying 3 packs of bacon...today was the last day of the sale, so I got 3 packs as it was a good price. Only had about 50 packs left, but hey give me $&!# for trying to save a buck while being unemployed due to corvid...

Luckily I have 0 reason to leave the house for a while, people are just in piss poor moods these days around here...maybe because they have to work? I would much prefer working making a full pay cheque not waiting weeks most likely for ei and what 55% of my wage

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So it went from a full on free for all at grocery stores to me getting a talking to at the self check out at save on 15 minutes ago for buying 3 packs of bacon...today was the last day of the sale, so I got 3 packs as it was a good price. Only had about 50 packs left, but hey give me $&!# for trying to save a buck while being unemployed due to corvid...

Luckily I have 0 reason to leave the house for a while, people are just in piss poor moods these days around here...maybe because they have to work? I would much prefer working making a full pay cheque not waiting weeks most likely for ei and what 55% of my wage

Rumblings at work that we will have to work from home. How am I going to work when the TV is right there????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rumblings at work that we will have to work from home. How am I going to work when the TV is right there????

As someone who has worked at home for ten years, let me tell you that working beats watching any of the garbage that they put on tv during the day

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

As someone who has worked at home for ten years, let me tell you that working beats watching any of the garbage that they put on tv during the day

As someone who is now doing full-time school from home via video conference lecture), I can attest that staring out the window, perusing the web and/or Googling the news, or simply standing up and walking out of the room is easier than participating in class. I don't even have to get dressed.  

Most of the time, work or school is much more productive in a work or school setting.